NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote Operation of the Power Tailgate

Old 12-12-15, 03:21 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Operation of the Power Tailgate

At the moment if I want to remotely open the power tailgate I have to press the key fob once to open the driver's door, press the open button a second time to unlock all doors and then I can press & hold the tailgate open button.

Is there a customization option to allow the power tailgate to open remotely without first unlocking all the doors? I happened to have a has a loan RX this past week and the power tailgate was able to be opened without first unlocking the doors.
Old 12-12-15, 03:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

You should be able to just press and hold the hatch button on the fob for 2 seconds which will automatically unlock all doors and open the hatch.
Old 12-12-15, 03:58 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You should be able to just press and hold the hatch button on the fob for 2 seconds which will automatically unlock all doors and open the hatch.
That's how I was expecting it to happen but all that happens is that the car gives a double beep and the tailgate remains closed.
Old 12-12-15, 04:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cssaus
That's how I was expecting it to happen but all that happens is that the car gives a double beep and the tailgate remains closed.
On p 617 in the Owner's manual (N.A. version), there's a mention of customizing the operation of the hatch via the remote fob. Default is that the hatch will open while holding the hatch button on the fob for 1 second, for "doors locking", but there's a customization that mentions "doors unlocking" which is unclear but could mean what you're experiencing. Namely, the hatch will only open if it's unlocked first.
Old 12-12-15, 04:44 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cssaus
At the moment if I want to remotely open the power tailgate I have to press the key fob once to open the driver's door, press the open button a second time to unlock all doors and then I can press & hold the tailgate open button.

Is there a customization option to allow the power tailgate to open remotely without first unlocking all the doors? I happened to have a has a loan RX this past week and the power tailgate was able to be opened without first unlocking the doors.
The rear hatch will not open with the fob if the doors are locked. You need to use the rear latch. I suspect this is a safety setting.

Check the manual as this can be changed to allow fob unlock with locked doors.
Old 12-12-15, 04:50 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miop4000
The rear hatch will not open with the fob if the doors are locked. You need to use the rear latch. I suspect this is a safety setting.

Looking at my manual it's somewhat vague on this point. I guess I'll have to drop into the dealer to see what they say. If it works for the RX without having to unlock all the doors you'd think it should work for the NX, however there's often not too much logic with what LEXUS do
Old 12-12-15, 05:51 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000

With my doors locked, I can hold the remote "rear hatch open" button for a couple of seconds and, not only do the doors unlock, the rear hatch opens.

This was my default factory setting. I have not changed any settings related to this.
Old 12-13-15, 04:43 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
With my doors locked, I can hold the remote "rear hatch open" button for a couple of seconds and, not only do the doors unlock, the rear hatch opens.

This was my default factory setting. I have not changed any settings related to this.
Well here in Australia that feature is not available.

I dropped into my dealer this morning and spoke to the service department. After about 30 minutes they came back to me to say that the Australian-specified NX models cannot be configured to have the power tailgate operate independently of the locked doors and that all the doors have to be unlocked first before the remote tailgate open button will work.

No explanation as to why it is that way.
Old 12-14-15, 03:02 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mondeo does this pretty well. If the car is locked and you press the trunk opening button on the remote control, then the trunk will open, but the rest of the car will remain locked (and the alarm will remain armed, but just for the rest of the car, excluding the trunk). When you close the trunk it will lock automatically, and the alarm will reactivate its trunk sensor, without any further action on your part.
It seems like a neat feature to me, and I use it very often. Sure, it's no big deal to unlock the doors first, but why take an extra action if you can avoid it?
Should I mention the implementation in the Kuga, where you simply move your foot under the rear bumper and the tailgate opens (as long as you have the key in your pocket)? Great invention when you go shopping and return to the car carrying a lot of bags...

So, the lack of this option doesn't seem to have anything to do with safety, considering that cars that cost half as much as the NX are already doing it in a safe manner.

Last edited by VladSoare; 12-14-15 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 08:20 PM
jayy178
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if you can use the key FOB to ONLY unlock the power tailgate without unlocking all other doors? It feels like an unnecessary step when just accessing the trunk. Reason I don't like this feature is that when closing the tailgate, I have to wait around before it closes (notoriously slow) and then finally lock the doors.
Old 04-15-16, 05:36 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jayy178
Does anyone know if you can use the key FOB to ONLY unlock the power tailgate without unlocking all other doors? It feels like an unnecessary step when just accessing the trunk. Reason I don't like this feature is that when closing the tailgate, I have to wait around before it closes (notoriously slow) and then finally lock the doors.
There is not a setting on the vehicle that opens the tailgate without unlocking all of the doors. If you want to lock the doors while the tailgate is closing you can do so with the fob; the door handle lock controls are disabled until the tailgate is fully closed.