NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone take their NX to Toyota for service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 11:41 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone take their NX to Toyota for service?

And can give their overall assessment of quality of service.

From what I've read it's perfectly ok to take your Lexus to Toyota for service. However, I'm very hesitant because it's a brand new production model with a new type of engine.

Toyota techs may not have enough experience with this car to be able to do the job right.

What do y'all think?
Old 11-24-15, 03:47 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't taken my NX but I did have my previous RX330 serviced at Toyota a couple times. They seemed to do just fine and once replaced the ignition switch. That went well too.

I live 60 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer and 4 miles from Toyota. I won't take the NX there until after all warranties expire but will consider it then.
Old 11-24-15, 03:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota techs will not be qualified to work on the engine until there is probably a Toyota with the 2.0T inside it.

I would be very hesitant on taking it to Toyota as if something happens to it, Lexus customer service may wipe their hands of you because you didn't see the appropriate dealership.
Old 11-24-15, 04:40 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For basic service and simple part replacement I'm sure a Toyota Dealer would be fine. Warranty work or more specific repairs I would probably go to a Lexus dealer that has the experience and resources for the specific model
Old 11-24-15, 05:04 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
For basic service and simple part replacement I'm sure a Toyota Dealer would be fine. Warranty work or more specific repairs I would probably go to a Lexus dealer that has the experience and resources for the specific model
This ^^^^^
Old 11-24-15, 08:09 AM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

While awaiting an NX that is on order, I had a 13ES (just recently sold it) that I was planning to have serviced at Toyota after warranty period. Toyota told me that they can do all things except warranty work. Have not asked about servicing the new NX yet.
Old 11-24-15, 10:46 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Toyota techs will not be qualified to work on the engine until there is probably a Toyota with the 2.0T inside it.

I would be very hesitant on taking it to Toyota as if something happens to it, Lexus customer service may wipe their hands of you because you didn't see the appropriate dealership.
Yes that was my thinking too. It's probably best to wait 'til the techs get a chance to work on a Toyota equivalent of the NX before trusting them to do any work on my car.

I don't want to be a guinea pig. lol

I have actually seen that happen with disastrous consequences.

I was in a jiffy lube servicing a previous car I had and ahead of me was this guy with a brand new, beautiful Audi R8. This was when Audi first launched this car. You can see where I'm going with this.

So this guy took his brand new, exotic car that was just released to jiffy lube. Maaan, those techs got as far as draining the oil and they couldn't figure out how to put oil back in the car. lol

Luckily the Audi dealership was just down the street and the car had to be towed. smh

Last edited by tresmith00; 11-24-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 11:05 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tresmith00
Yes that was my thinking too. It's probably best to wait 'til the techs get a chance to work on a Toyota equivalent of the NX before trusting them to do any work on my car.

I don't want to be a guinea pig. lol

I have actually seen that happen with disastrous consequences.

I was in a jiffy lube servicing a previous car I had and ahead of me was this guy with a brand new, beautiful Audi R8. This was when Audi first launched this car. You can see where I'm going with this.

So this guy took his brand new, exotic car that was just released to jiffy lube. Maaan, those techs got as far as draining the oil and they couldn't figure out how to put oil back in the car. lol

Luckily the Audi dealership was just down the street and the car had to be towed. smh
The owner of that R8 should have been taken out behind a shed and shot for taking an R8 to a Jiffy Lube....

I bought a 120-200k car...but I'm going to save a buck and go to Jiffy Lube...
Old 11-24-15, 02:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
The owner of that R8 should have been taken out behind a shed and shot for taking an R8 to a Jiffy Lube....

I bought a 120-200k car...but I'm going to save a buck and go to Jiffy Lube...
Same thinking. Incredible to see the logic behind it for that Audi R8 owner. If anything happens, it would be a big hassle.
Old 11-25-15, 06:12 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AndyL
Same thinking. Incredible to see the logic behind it for that Audi R8 owner. If anything happens, it would be a big hassle.
What makes the Audi R8 difficult to service? I know some cars are, I had a VW R32 that used a filter that was a dealer only item. I meant I would have to drop the car off as a local shop and the would order the filter and get it delivered by the dealer in a couple of hours
Old 11-25-15, 06:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Its not the difficulty to service as much as the incredible cheapness by the owner and their willingness to risk a supercar at a jiffy lube.
Old 11-25-15, 06:27 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Jiffy Lube is not really cheap, although their reputation at least here in South Florida is rather poor.
Old 11-25-15, 06:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Jiffy Lube isn't "very" cheap, but they are also idiots.

The guys up here tried to get my wife (didn't even really know her back then) to buy a cabin air filter for her 2006 tC and charge her $50 for it.

.....there is no cabin air filter for a 2006 tC....
Old 11-25-15, 10:32 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

unless the basic parts have changed, the NX can be taken to a toyo dealership. The only issue might be resettting the oil change light but i doubt lexus has shaken up the platform.
Old 11-25-15, 12:40 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr645
Jiffy Lube is not really cheap, although their reputation at least here in South Florida is rather poor.
Jiffy lube is the paradigm for ****ty service shops. I wouldn't trust the techs to look at the car from a distance of less than five feet, let alone drive and service it.
They need 8 and 12mm triple square bits, as well as the T-30 bits. None of which are commonly used on any cars. They also need to remove and replace the aero covers, know how to access the oil reservoir, remove the three drain plugs(one of which is difficult to access and needs an addition specialty tool), have the specialty oil filter, etc.

So not only does it require special tools, it's not exactly a simple oil change.