My NX Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 11:27 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My NX Upgrade List

Hola Forum People!

I just took delivery of a 2015 Black F-Sport NX AWD yesterday. I'm very excited to welcome it to my family. I live out in Las Vegas and we do a lot of outdoor stuff, camping, hiking, fishing etc. I'm looking to put some items on my car, not only to protect it, but also to make those adventures easier. We have plenty of off-road trails here in and around Vegas also that are moderate and don't require lots of ground clearance. I want to use this thread to make a list of everything that I want to add to it and I'll post pics along the way. Here's a list of what I came up with. Let me know if anyone here has any experience with any of these and brands, etc?

1: Mud Tires -- Won't be using them all of the time but a good set of mud tires can go a long way. What brands does everyone recommend?
2: Running Boards -- I heard that the running boards will protect the doors from dirt. Not too worried about the rain noise that people have experienced since it does not rain often here.
3: Light Bars -- Has anyone put any lights bars on their NX? If so where?
4: Roof Rack -- Has anyone have had any experience with any kind of roof racks?
5: Air Compressor -- Letting air out of tires is a great way to tackle off road trails. Anyone have any experience with an air compressor installed either in their car or just a carry along?
6: Speakers -- Want to upgrade the speaker system to something with more clarity. Was thinking JL Audio. Anyone do any systems yet? If so, what did you do?
7: XPEL Clear Bra -- Was thinking of getting an XPEL Clear Bra from: http://catalog.clearcararmor.com/partquery/search
8: Mud Guards -- From Lexus, any experience?
9: Tow Hitch -- Do I have to get the Lexus one or does anyone recommend a less expensive alternative?
10: Adding this to the list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...itch-trim.html

EDITED SECTION -- Here's the list where I'll place all of the Mod's that I've done thus far.
1: Felt Door Pockets: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9269095
2: Cargo Net Mounted on Privacy Screen: (Video Coming Soon).

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Cheers,
Joey

Last edited by maLx; 11-28-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 11:47 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maLx
Hola Forum People!

I just took delivery of a 2015 Black F-Sport NX AWD yesterday. I'm very excited to welcome it to my family. I live out in Las Vegas and we do a lot of outdoor stuff, camping, hiking, fishing etc. I'm looking to put some items on my car, not only to protect it, but also to make those adventures easier. We have plenty of off-road trails here in and around Vegas also that are moderate and don't require lots of ground clearance. I want to use this thread to make a list of everything that I want to add to it and I'll post pics along the way. Here's a list of what I came up with. Let me know if anyone here has any experience with any of these and brands, etc?

1: Mud Tires -- Won't be using them all of the time but a good set of mud tires can go a long way. What brands does everyone recommend?
2: Running Boards -- I heard that the running boards will protect the doors from dirt. Not too worried about the rain noise that people have experienced since it does not rain often here.
5: Air Compressor -- Letting air out of tires is a great way to tackle off road trails. Anyone have any experience with an air compressor installed either in their car or just a carry along?
6: Speakers -- Want to upgrade the speaker system to something with more clarity. Was thinking JL Audio. Anyone do any systems yet? If so, what did you do?
7: XPEL Clear Bra -- Was thinking of getting an XPEL Clear Bra from: http://catalog.clearcararmor.com/partquery/search
9: Tow Hitch -- Do I have to get the Lexus one or does anyone recommend a less expensive alternative?
10: Adding this tot he list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...itch-trim.html

Anything else anyone do cool to their NXs for off-road or trail blazing?

Final random question: Anyone de-badge their cars?

Cheers,
Joey
I'm going to say this: although your NX is AWD, it is really not designed to be much of an off-road vehicle.

Also, you need to start reading some of the topics in this forum, as many of the questions you ask have been discussed at length here already.
Old 11-19-15, 11:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In reading your questions, I can already tell you, you purchased the wrong vehicle.
Old 11-19-15, 12:04 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
In reading your questions, I can already tell you, you purchased the wrong vehicle.
TBH Most of the trails in our area are gravel/dirt. My FWD Mini Cooper was capable of doing them with no mods so I'm honestly not sure why the NX wouldn't be able to do it. What specifically is wrong about the NX for that type of application?
Old 11-19-15, 12:10 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

offroad youtube review

Old 11-19-15, 12:15 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
offroad youtube review

https://youtu.be/IhG2ongQUu0
That's a great video. I would say that test is a bit more than what I would encounter on the trails that we go on. So that's a good thing
Old 11-19-15, 12:23 PM
john0814
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola Forum People!

10: Adding this tot he list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...itch-trim.html

Anything else anyone do cool to their NXs for off-road or trail blazing?

Final random question: Anyone de-badge their cars?

Cheers,
Joey
I had OEM Crossbar and mud flaps. Both are for the look of car as of now since I have not run over any mud or needed to carry extra heavy items. And I think added these 2 items make the car even more aggressive and sportier look,

One thing about the crossbar is they made wind noise above 40MPH. I did a lot of research on this forum about noise and ended up finding nothing wrong with the car. Talked my salesman (my car is 1 month new), he suggested me to remove the bars and I did. Never heard that whistling sound anymore.
Old 11-19-15, 12:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Good purchase. Spend some time getting familiar with the vehicle before you decide to purchase all those items.

The NX is a luxury Mall bruiser, not really a mud cruiser. Not saying it cannot conquer moderate terrain but I wouldnt want to do this continously. Low GC, bad approach and dep angles etc.
Old 11-19-15, 12:30 PM
online421
Rookie

6. Speakers,
My AWD F Sport came with Marc Levinson speaker package, thought this is a standard? wouldnt want to deviate from this...

9. Tow hitch
I have recently installed a Lexus factory tow hitch. you can view it on my post. looking at the photos and how it is done, I think it is better than the more economical alternatives.
Old 11-19-15, 12:31 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by online421
6. Speakers,
My AWD F Sport came with Marc Levinson speaker package, thought this is a standard? wouldnt want to deviate from this...
In the U.S. the ML is not an available option.
Old 11-19-15, 12:31 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

6. Speakers,

9. Tow hitch
I have recently installed a Lexus factory tow hitch. you can view it on my post. looking at the photos and how it is done, I think it is better than the more economical alternatives.
Thanks! What do you pull with it? My goal is motorcycles and maybe a really small boat, but the boat is not necessary.
Old 11-19-15, 12:37 PM
online421
Rookie

Thanks! What do you pull with it? My goal is motorcycles and maybe a really small boat, but the boat is not necessary.
This is what I pull....

My NX Upgrade List-img_9472.jpg

My NX Upgrade List-img_9475.jpg

My NX Upgrade List-img_9486.jpg

this is a ground loading trailer, it has hydraulics to lower the deck level to the ground. originally built to load a car. previous owner added the cover and its perfect for my solid wood furniture delivery.

only within 30-50 mile each time I tow. and I tow about twice a month.

not sure the regulation in the States, but here in NZ, Lexus says I can tow 1500kg(3000lb) if the trailer is braked.
Old 11-19-15, 12:40 PM
online421
Rookie

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
In the U.S. the ML is not an available option.
what a shame... ML is one of the reason I bought the NX. I tested a NX with non ML. there is a difference and I dont have a good ear.
Old 11-19-15, 12:44 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

This is what I pull....

Attachment 374319

Attachment 374320

Attachment 374321

this is a ground loading trailer, it has hydraulics to lower the deck level to the ground. originally built to load a car. previous owner added the cover and its perfect for my solid wood furniture delivery.

only within 30-50 mile each time I tow. and I tow about twice a month.

not sure the regulation in the States, but here in NZ, Lexus says I can tow 1500kg(3000lb) if the trailer is braked.
Damn that's more than I would so that's good news!
Old 11-19-15, 04:40 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TBH Most of the trails in our area are gravel/dirt. My FWD Mini Cooper was capable of doing them with no mods so I'm honestly not sure why the NX wouldn't be able to do it. What specifically is wrong about the NX for that type of application?
The reason why most people will say that because the NX is more of an on road car built for better wet and snow traction than going off road in the mud.

With that said, I saw a video where they put the NX through some pretty tough terrain and this little ute is surprisingly capable. Check out the video...fast forward to minute 6 where the off roading begins.

Quick Reply: My NX Upgrade List