NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dear Lexus, Please change the NX front

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 05:14 PM
kenji4861
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear Lexus, Please change the NX front

I thought the US front would grow on me, but I just can't get over that it looks like the jaw has been removed.

US Version

You can tell by the marketing of this car. Even the Lexus people do not think it looks good at an angle where the missing jaw can be seen.

Alex on Autos points this out (0:50) saying this gives it off roading abilities. I'm pretty sure that's a very small percentage and they should've made the pointy jawmissing grill an option and not the standard

Everyone but North America gets this version which was how NX was supposed to be.

Very small difference, but imagine if your jaws were pushed in a little bit.. it wouldn't be pretty would it?
Old 11-07-15, 05:41 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you could just get the Fsport and stop belly aching
Old 11-07-15, 06:21 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

The last photo looks uglier than the US version. Looks like an extended Altima grille
Old 11-07-15, 08:03 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some nice things about the front end of the NX 200T. I don't have to worry about scraping the front end on a curb. It also catches less debris it seems. The higher front end and short length makes it a breeze to park. My 2014 ES 350 UL being longer and lower...not as easy to park...catches more debris.
Old 11-08-15, 05:15 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

That's why u pay extra and get the f sport. Non f sport to me is more for the older crowd.
Old 11-08-15, 08:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I kinda agree with the OP. I hated the look of the non F-sport NX when I saw the massive underbite look. I wouldn't get th NX unless it was the F-sport just so I wouldn't have to see the awkward nose (and also the little sporty benefits). The non-US version looks massively better probably because it has a bumper similar as the F-sport with just a different grille.

Maybe they'll make the non-US version a "Sport Appearance Package" like on the previous gen RX for later model years.

Base RX350

Sport Appearance Package RX350

F-sport RX350

Last edited by dchar; 11-08-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-08-15, 10:07 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
That's why u pay extra and get the f sport. Non f sport to me is more for the older crowd.
In the United States, the F sport is not the most expensive model. It's a Luxury model optioned like Canada's Executive model minus the heads up display.
Old 11-08-15, 10:18 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually, the pointy end has grown on me over time. From the front view, it's not too bad. The worst is the front quarter view.

Although, I wouldn't mind swapping the front bumper myself if all the sensors, etc. were the same/compatible. (unlikely).
Old 11-08-15, 12:26 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
There are some nice things about the front end of the NX 200T. I don't have to worry about scraping the front end on a curb. It also catches less debris it seems. The higher front end and short length makes it a breeze to park. My 2014 ES 350 UL being longer and lower...not as easy to park...catches more debris.
This is the way I look at it, too. The cross bar grill looks better in person than it photographs, which is a general observation one can make about the new Lexus 'look'. For many of us, the US Luxury version is the best match with our overall requirements and desires. And, a car that has the appearance of Darth Vader is not necessarily a source of joy in some quarters.

The NX and the new RX in their variations are true Japanese-inspired designs rather than warmed over German or Detroit. The Japanese aesthetic in art can seem other-worldly to Western eyes ... one either likes it or doesn't. Dealers seem to sell every NX that shows up. If one doesn't appreciate it, just stop whining and go buy something else.

Last edited by Koetsu; 11-08-15 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Fix word.
Old 11-08-15, 02:24 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This was all discussed before quite well I thought. The OP even posted in it. Here's the thread for anyone interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-bumpers.html

Basically the design on the 200t is to meet CAFE regs because Lexus designated the 200t a light truck.

To continue whining about this is ridiculous. I like my 200t and so do a lot of other owners. As the last poster suggested it's time to look elsewhere.
Old 11-08-15, 02:44 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I do get awfully tired of these pseudo-retroactive "I wish..." posts.

Makes me wish I could contribute, pointedly, to the Society for Retroactive Abortion.
Old 11-08-15, 05:06 PM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by kenji4861
I thought the US front would grow on me, but I just can't get over that it looks like the jaw has been removed.

You can tell by the marketing of this car. Even the Lexus people do not think it looks good at an angle where the missing jaw can be seen.

Everyone but North America gets this version which was how NX was supposed to be.

Very small difference, but imagine if your jaws were pushed in a little bit.. it wouldn't be pretty would it?
Unfortunately.. this is unlikely to change because there is a technical reason why the bumper is the way it is in the US.

Take a look at corrado's post at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...bumpers-2.html.

In short: Lexus wanted the NX to qualify as a light truck which requires a certain approach angle so the bumper had to be modified. You can read more into why they needed this in the post.

It does suck, but at least the F-Sport version is available as a cosmetic add-on. If you're in Canada, a 2015 F-Sport 1 includes most options available for this car which you have to pay for in the package, but luckily for the 2016 model, F-Sport 1 is now simply a cosmetic package on top of the Premium package. F-Sport 2 has replaced the old F-Sport 1.

Maybe this will change in the future if Toyota group can lower their CAFE through efficiency improvements in their other models, but until then... the NX will get the shark-nose bumper.

Edit:
Oops, didn't see that rogerh00 already linked that thread. I meant to respond when I first saw this thread a few days ago but I kept forgetting.

Last edited by skabei; 11-08-15 at 05:10 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old 11-08-15, 06:32 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I do get awfully tired of these pseudo-retroactive "I wish..." posts.

Makes me wish I could contribute, pointedly, to the Society for Retroactive Abortion.
Agree.

There is no need for posts like this. If you don't like what the NX looks like, that is fine. There are offerings from Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Lexus has no problem selling these. So if you don't like it, they have 20 other people to replace you who do.

Please close the thread so the whining can stop lol
Old 11-08-15, 08:03 PM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Agree.

There is no need for posts like this. If you don't like what the NX looks like, that is fine. There are offerings from Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Lexus has no problem selling these. So if you don't like it, they have 20 other people to replace you who do.

Please close the thread so the whining can stop lol
I think there's some good value in these posts. Yeah, there isn't much that can be done about the bumper right now, but at least Lexus will see that it's something that people are saying and will prioritize it for future revisions.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people ask dealers if there's a way to get the F-Sport bumper without buying a full F-Sport package. This kind of information should eventually find it's way to someone who matters.
Old 11-08-15, 08:33 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I really like the front-end of the NX 200t. It looks aggressive and unlike any other vehicle on the market. This was a big factor in my purchasing my NX.

Good job, Lexus and Takeshi Tanabe (Global Design manager for Lexus)! 👍👌

Quick Reply: Dear Lexus, Please change the NX front