NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Finance help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 05:36 PM
jluca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finance help

Looking for advice on how to start the price negotiations for a base model 2015 NX 200t with heated front seats.

MSRP: $37,645
Zip code: 80005

I'm hoping to talk them down to around $35,000 which is about 7% off MSRP. I plan on financing the car through the dealer and possibly trading in my old car. Is this a far fetched figure to start out with? They seem to be selling well so I'm not sure how much leverage I have. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-05-15, 07:25 PM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by jluca
Looking for advice on how to start the price negotiations for a base model 2015 NX 200t with heated front seats.

MSRP: $37,645
Zip code: 80005

I'm hoping to talk them down to around $35,000 which is about 7% off MSRP. I plan on financing the car through the dealer and possibly trading in my old car. Is this a far fetched figure to start out with? They seem to be selling well so I'm not sure how much leverage I have. Any advice is appreciated.
I bought my 2015 F-Sport two weeks ago and picked it up last week. I'm in Canada so it's probably a bit different.

I originally first started looking at the NX when I saw the $4k after tax manufacturer's incentive ($2k on all other packages) on the Base models. But dealers in the area quickly sold out of them because they're very popular. So we started looking at Premiums but they were pretty much sold out too.

So make sure that they have Base models or can get one.

As to actually negotiating..

I used something called unhaggle, which tells me the invoice cost and the average price paid. Unhaggle suggests a middle ground price between the average cost and invoice. I called several dealers and asked if they did unhaggle pricing and a few of them did so I picked the one that was best reviewed in my area (there are A LOT of Lexus dealers around me). I ended up getting $7k off my NX which I'm quite happy with because I would otherwise not have bought it.

So see if there are any services like Unhaggle (don't know if Unhaggle is for the US as well) and start from there. It's at least useful to know the invoice and average paid costs. In Canada, according to unhaggle, the average paid is very close to invoice for the F-Sport so I walked in not knowing if I could get the deal that I wanted.
Old 11-05-15, 07:55 PM
jluca
Driver School Candidate

skabei: I appreciate the info! I'm looking at TrueCar and Edmunds for pricing. It does give me an idea as to what the invoice price is, which seems to be around $35,000. I received one "guaranteed" price quote through TrueCar from one of my dealers for $36,052 (bare bones model, no add-ons) but it's a bit outside of my price range and it's FWD, not AWD (forgot to mention I'm looking for AWD). Unfortunately there are only 3 Lexus dealers within 100 miles of where I live so I don't have many options to choose from. I may bring my price quote to one of the other two dealer to see if they will beat the price and throw in some options.
Old 11-05-15, 08:32 PM
skabei
Driver

skabei: I appreciate the info! I'm looking at TrueCar and Edmunds for pricing. It does give me an idea as to what the invoice price is, which seems to be around $35,000. I received one "guaranteed" price quote through TrueCar from one of my dealers for $36,052 (bare bones model, no add-ons) but it's a bit outside of my price range and it's FWD, not AWD (forgot to mention I'm looking for AWD). Unfortunately there are only 3 Lexus dealers within 100 miles of where I live so I don't have many options to choose from. I may bring my price quote to one of the other two dealer to see if they will beat the price and throw in some options.
You should call to see if they even have base models. If not then you can prepare yourself to negotiate for a Premium or Luxury/F-Sport if you want to. In Canada, we don't have the FWD so we're very limited with options which actually makes it a plus for me because cars often come prepackaged with everything I want (Japanese cars at least).

3 Lexus dealers withing 100 miles is pretty rough. It'll be hard to make them compete. It was definitely easier for me because I have 8 dealers with 50KM.
Old 11-06-15, 05:09 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2015s are getting hard to find, and with how popular they are, as well as incentives, and the 2016s' are priced higher...you will be lucky to get a better deal. Especially with only 3 dealerships within 100 miles.. I have heard of dealers simply saying "no", because someone else will come in and pay the extra $1,052 for the car.

See if they have one, and if they do.. ask for the $35,000, but be prepared to pay more.
Old 11-06-15, 06:09 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
3 Lexus dealers withing 100 miles is pretty rough. It'll be hard to make them compete. It was definitely easier for me because I have 8 dealers with 50KM.
3 Lexus dealers within 100 miles would be GREAT! My Lexus dealer has no Lexus competitors probably within about 300-400 miles! They do have 2 "locations" as we are a pretty large metro area but they are same ownership.

I can definitely feel the lack of competition when discussing/negotiating with the sales rep/sales mgr.

Info form this site is very helpful...but dealer is quick to dismiss as not creditable. Some truth that you need to be careful...but when you see multiple pricing/discount levels you can begin to see a trend...which sb useful.

I just haven't figured out exactly how to work with a single source (local) dealer. Not sure I would be a "good buddy" if I bought from a a distant dealer and showed up locally for service.

TomMArtin
Old 11-06-15, 06:31 AM
skabei
Driver

When you have less Lexus dealerships, it's also an indication that there is a lesser demand for the cars in your area which may mean that there is a higher chance of having a 2015 NX Base that you're looking for.

In the Greater Toronto Area, Lexus is extremely popular with the demographic we have here (as is any Japanese brand) so I wasn't too surprised that the Base and Premium sold out so quickly with the big incentives.