NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Nav vs. Waze

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 10:29 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default NX Nav vs. Waze

A few weeks ago I said that I would write a comparison of the NX navigation system to the Waze iOS application in a particular situation, that of handling road closures. Now that I have completed three 500-mile-plus round-trips to the same destination, here is what I found:

Background
I traveled from my home to a destination that is 233 miles away for three consecutive weeks, leaving on Sunday afternoon and returning on Thursday morning. Along my route (on Sunday only) a portion of an interstate highway is closed for construction, and I wanted to see if the NX Nav would pick that up.

Results
  • At the beginning of each trip the NX Nav consistently showed an arrival time of approximately thirty minutes later than Waze. The discrepancy shrunk as the trip progressed, as one might expect. Waze was more accurate, far more.
  • As it turned out, the interstate was not closed on the second trip. The NX Nav never did make any attempt to reroute me, even when (on the third trip) I disregarded Waze and tried to follow the route that included the closed interstate. Waze just kept adjusting until I was finally forced to detour by the closure. The NX Nav did warn about slow traffic, but only on the third trip.
  • As a bonus, on the second trip a different part of the interstate was closed (actually the highway patrol was using rolling roadblocks) because of crews stringing power lines across the highway. Waze rerouted me off the interstate onto local roads to avoid it, saving about five minutes. The NX Nav did warn me that there was slow traffic ahead.

Summary
I didn't expect the NX Nav to reroute me in any of the above cases, and that's a good thing because it didn't. The HD Radio-based information, I surmise, is simply insufficient to compete with the crowdsourced Waze information. Both apps did exactly what I expected, and really exactly what they were designed to do, although the NX Nav's arrival time discrepancy was a little disappointing.

I'll be sticking with Waze. YMMV.
Old 11-03-15, 12:17 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Let me start by saying the NX nav (or any other OEM nav system) will never be able to compete with crowd-sourced traffic data such as with Waze. However, there are some tweaks to the NX nav that can be done since—out of the box—it doesn't avoid traffic too well.

I haven't travelled distance yet with my NX, but it is my understanding that (by default) the NX nav would not reroute automatically unless you explicitly went in to set a detour using the "Around Traffic" option, or set it up to automatically avoid traffic.

Also, if you know that a specific area is under construction/closed/etc for a long period of time (days, weeks, months), you can set "Areas to Avoid" in the NX nav system.

One of the issues I do not like about Waze is that—many times—someone will report an accident, but Waze doesn't display in which direction the accident occurred. If a wreck happened in the northbound lanes, many times the southbound lanes are unaffected (barring any rubber-necking). Maybe the source didn't indicate the direction. I don't know, but Waze simply displays this as an accident on such-and-such freeway. This doesn't always happen, but it happens too much to my liking.
Old 11-03-15, 12:37 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

NXOwner:

I will revalidate the traffic settings in my NX. I am taking the same trip next week and can retest if necessary.

As for areas to avoid, I lament that it's not "roads to avoid"; this would be better, as the polygonal "area" you can specify can often not be easily tailored to match a multi-mile stretch of road. And you do have to know in advance (and can only input ten of these areas). On my first trip on this route I was unaware of the road closure.

Finally, when you report an incident (of any kind) on Waze it always defaults to your side of the road, but allows you to select "other side". I can then tell from the indicator on the road which side the incident (accident, slow traffic, etc.) is on. An image of this (on iOS) is below. You either click "Other Side" or you don't.

Last edited by 15RC350F; 11-03-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 12:47 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Finally, when you report an incident (of any kind) on Waze it always defaults to your side of the road, but allows you to select "other side". I can then tell from the indicator on the road which side the incident (accident, slow traffic, etc.) is on.
I understand that, but in my experiences, the incident icon does not always indicate which side of the road the incident occurred.

Case-in-point...I just pulled up a map and Waze does not indicate which lane, nor which direction is affected by this closure:

Old 11-03-15, 12:55 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

On browser-based maps, the icons do not indicate direction, but on my iDevice, it does, as seen below. Sorry for the large images - not in a position to edit them at the moment.

Old 11-03-15, 12:58 PM
NXOwner
Racer

I'm just sayin'...sometimes Waze displays the direction of the incident, sometimes not. It doesn't seem to be consistent, regardless of client (desktop or phone app).
Old 11-03-15, 01:05 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I'm just sayin'...sometimes Waze displays the direction of the incident, sometimes not. It doesn't seem to be consistent, regardless of client (desktop or phone app).
My friend, I have been using Waze for over two years, logging many thousands of miles while using it, and am also one of the map editors (there are a great many, so this isn't some kind of brag). I can assure you that the desktop apps may or may not indicate which side an incident is on, but the iOS application always does and always has. Every single time. An incident cannot be reported without a "side".

Last edited by 15RC350F; 11-03-15 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 01:45 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
My friend, I have been using Waze for over two years, logging many thousands of miles while using it, and am also one of the map editors (there are a great many, so this isn't some kind of brag). I can assure you that the desktop apps may or may not indicate which side an incident is on, but the iOS application always does and always has. Every single time. An incident cannot be reported without a "side".
Ha! I also have edited maps, especially in Waze's earlier years. I started using Waze just after they changed to that name and years before Google bought them. I am also a software engineer and I use the Waze API in my own apps.

I like Waze, but all apps (including my own) have flaws and Waze is not immune.

Here is a screenshot fresh off my phone. As a driver, I have no idea which side of the freeway this incident is.

Old 11-03-15, 01:57 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Not a very comprehensive API!

I am an application developer myself, but more in the SQL/OLAP, financial planning and analysis realm, so probably a different type of codehead than you. But I digress.

Note that the bubble is to the right of The 405. This indicates that the stopped vehicle is on the side of the freeway that is traveling northwest. Do note that you do have to be at a certain zoom level for this level of detail to show (as you would be if you were actually on an active navigation [and had auto-zoom set to other than "off"]). When zoomed out a bit the incidents' directions are not discernable.

But really, let's just end this, as we're benefiting no one by continuing.

Last edited by 15RC350F; 11-03-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 02:28 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Okay. We can agree to disagree.
Old 11-03-15, 02:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Any app will beat car navigation hands down.

The only reason apps will be second fiddle is for the following:

1) GPS antennae. Since the Car nav system is designed to work in a harsh environment as a car, it will probably have a better signal and lock-on time even when your carrier service goes dark

2) No need to recharge, its got a whole tank of gas and a battery for always on service

3) Integration is better. Its always moving with you, unlike a phone which you might leave.

4) Navigation your not gonna need to mount it anywhere, its in your line of sight

5) Wont overheat
Old 11-03-15, 02:42 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Any app will beat car navigation hands down.

The only reason apps will be second fiddle is for the following:

1) GPS antennae. Since the Car nav system is designed to work in a harsh environment as a car, it will probably have a better signal and lock-on time even when your carrier service goes dark

2) No need to recharge, its got a whole tank of gas and a battery for always on service

3) Integration is better. Its always moving with you, unlike a phone which you might leave.

4) Navigation your not gonna need to mount it anywhere, its in your line of sight

5) Wont overheat
. . .6) It won't eat away at your monthly data plan.
Old 11-03-15, 05:09 PM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

This reason...but then again, I am in Hawaii so Waze can only help so much...I used Waze in the Philippines and it is priceless there
Old 11-03-15, 06:01 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

On a recent trip here I used a few megabytes of data; it uses maybe 100-200MB/month. But I'm on a 10GB plan, so I don't care. I do realize that this isn't everyone's situation.
Old 11-15-15, 07:09 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

FINAL UPDATE: I have validated that I have the "Avoid Traffic" setting to "Auto"; the Lexus Nav did not avoid the road closure.

Quick Reply: NX Nav vs. Waze