NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Nav vs. Waze

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:24 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
FINAL UPDATE: I have validated that I have the "Avoid Traffic" setting to "Auto"; the Lexus Nav did not avoid the road closure.
I usually don't use the "Auto avoid traffic" but, rather, I set it to "Manual", so that the system will alert me of traffic. At that point, I can reroute, if desired. I would never want it to do it automatically.
Old 11-16-15, 07:02 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I usually don't use the "Auto avoid traffic" but, rather, I set it to "Manual", so that the system will alert me of traffic. At that point, I can reroute, if desired. I would never want it to do it automatically.
Yes, I suppose I'd set it to manual if it had ever rerouted me around anything. It has not.
Old 11-16-15, 07:24 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

having done some work with OEM nav systems, I can tell you regardless of whether you have a "current year" data disc (chip, whatever) your factory OEM navigation is at best 12-18 months out of date.

The process used to update the map database takes multiple months, and only verified things are added to the database.

for example, while a new housing development might exist, and the streets are technically there, the companies that provide the data for the OEM systems can only add them if the city, county, and state has vetted the location and all of the proper data and paperwork is on file with the assessors office at the city, county, and state level. If any one of those is missing it will not be added to the NAV database.

As for Waze or other app based systems, their restrictions are not as strict, they use many sources including app users to validate the data, and keep it up to date, usually being not more than a few days behind reality. But they also provide over the air updating vs. charging $200+ for a map update that is out of data before it is released.

now something like Tesla, who uses Navigon as their GPS system has live over the air update via the Tesla 4gLTE system, so their mapping database is actually as up to date as a phone app.

Other car manufacturers are moving this direction, GM for example started offering 4GLTE service through OnStar, however unlike Tesla who gives the service for free, GM rapes the customer for fees @ 3 times what you pay for the same data service through your cell carrier, and BTW they are using Verizon as their service, so the price isn't really justified other than to suck more money from the customer.
Old 11-16-15, 01:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Yes, I suppose I'd set it to manual if it had ever rerouted me around anything. It has not.
You must have a bad nav system, because on my NX, the system tells me if there is traffic (because of construction, accident, or whatever). Since I have the reroute feature set to manual, after receiving such notice, I can then reroute if I deem it necessary.
Old 11-18-15, 10:09 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think any of the car's nav will tell me where the cops are. I don't speed normally but it sure is nice when you know there is a cop 1/2 mile ahead so you could be in your best behavior. Waze's report of object on the road is very useful too. If wasn't for it, I would have run into many things on the freeway in the dark....
Old 11-18-15, 10:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lcneed
I don't think any of the car's nav will tell me where the cops are. I don't speed normally but it sure is nice when you know there is a cop 1/2 mile ahead so you could be in your best behavior. Waze's report of object on the road is very useful too. If wasn't for it, I would have run into many things on the freeway in the dark....
Exactly!

I bought my NX with Nav so that for short, local trips I could avoid mounting my phone, etc., and just use the built-in Nav. But for longer trips (of which I take many), Waze gives me information that really nothing else can, and it does it exceedingly well, even beyond my expectations.