NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

The dinging - make it stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 06:35 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dinging - make it stop

I'm new to Lexus so maybe a lot of you are used to it, but I can't stand the amount that my NX dings. My old car would ding three times when you had parked and the door was open, but the NX just won't quit.

Is there any way to disable this, either through the dealer or through the OBD?
Old 10-29-15, 08:50 AM
ho52806
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see my post "carisa worked": https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9233653

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-29-15 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-29-15, 10:17 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by ho52806
Yay - thank you!
Old 11-18-15, 06:37 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Welp, bought the OBD adapter and paid for Carista... only to find out it won't stop the dinging. It seems to only turn off seatbelt dinging or dings for leaving headlights on. Parking with the door open still results in incessant dings.
Old 11-18-15, 07:21 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe describe your situation more so we can help. What state is the vehicle in when the dinging it happening?
Old 11-19-15, 07:25 AM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Just make sure the engine is shut off first before you open the door and no dinging, problem solved. Seems like a good safety feature to me.
Old 11-19-15, 09:32 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by mike1021
Just make sure the engine is shut off first before you open the door and no dinging, problem solved. Seems like a good safety feature to me.
Mine dings even when the engine is off and I open the door.

It's not a helpful safety feature for me, honestly, and I'd like to be able to shut if off. I have a pretty busy lifestyle and sometimes I'm still gathering things to get out of the car with and I've opened my door. In Florida, it gets hot when you turn the engine off.

Anywho, last night I turned the car off and opened the door; a paper I was looking for fell under the seat, and it dinged the whole time.

Clearly not everyone finds it to be a problem, but it is an annoyance to me and I'd like to solve it if possible. If it doesn't bother you then you're lucky
Old 11-19-15, 10:56 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your window open? I know mine dings when the NX is off and the window is still open.
Old 11-19-15, 11:45 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
Mine dings even when the engine is off and I open the door.

It's not a helpful safety feature for me, honestly, and I'd like to be able to shut if off. I have a pretty busy lifestyle and sometimes I'm still gathering things to get out of the car with and I've opened my door. In Florida, it gets hot when you turn the engine off.

Anywho, last night I turned the car off and opened the door; a paper I was looking for fell under the seat, and it dinged the whole time.

Clearly not everyone finds it to be a problem, but it is an annoyance to me and I'd like to solve it if possible. If it doesn't bother you then you're lucky
There is no way (other than probably physically disconnecting something) to turn off that dinging. And by this I mean by some kind of "software reprogramming".
Old 11-19-15, 12:03 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Not fully understanding your situation still... Probably three possible scenarios:

1. If you leave the engine on and take the key with you outside of the vehicle, the vehicle will beep 3 times when you close any of the doors. This cannot be disabled and is a good safety alert.

2. If you open the door before turning off the engine, the vehicle will beep continuously because the ignition lock cannot engage when the door is open. The beeping will discontinue when the driver's door is closed and you will hear a mechanical whir as the steering column and ignition lock. Re-opening the door will not generate a beep.

3. The vehicle will beep 3 times if you leave the moonroof or a window open after you turn off the ignition and then open the door.
Old 11-19-15, 01:20 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
Not fully understanding your situation still... Probably three possible scenarios:
2. If you open the door before turning off the engine, the vehicle will beep continuously because the ignition lock cannot engage when the door is open. The beeping will discontinue when the driver's door is closed and you will hear a mechanical whir as the steering column and ignition lock. Re-opening the door will not generate a beep.
This would describe it most correctly.

It's too bad you can't just shut off the noise. I was hoping changing the "ding when lights are on" would stop it, but it sounds like it's here to stay.

Thanks all!
Old 11-19-15, 07:37 PM
computerwi
Advanced

This would describe it most correctly.

It's too bad you can't just shut off the noise. I was hoping changing the "ding when lights are on" would stop it, but it sounds like it's here to stay.

Thanks all!
The simple solution, as suggested @mike1021 suggested, is to turn off the engine and then open the door... By turning off the engine, you are going to leave the vehicle anyways.
Old 11-20-15, 06:34 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I agree I know ours does not beep if I turn off the engine first. Maybe take a video of what you are doing what results you get and post it here. It may just be altering the way you do things. To me, if you are at the point of opening the door you are ready to get out and should have shut the car off already. If you still need to gather your things, leave the car on and door closed. Seems more like you need to adjust to something that you are not used too rather than Lexus changing things to fit one person.
Old 11-20-15, 06:40 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by philwojo
I agree I know ours does not beep if I turn off the engine first. Maybe take a video of what you are doing what results you get and post it here. It may just be altering the way you do things. To me, if you are at the point of opening the door you are ready to get out and should have shut the car off already. If you still need to gather your things, leave the car on and door closed. Seems more like you need to adjust to something that you are not used too rather than Lexus changing things to fit one person.
As I said earlier, I appreciate the feedback and understand that apparently I cannot remedy the issue. I explained that my personal habit and the way I get out of the car causes an annoying noise. It's no different than people who purchase Carista to change any other setting on the car. We each have different personal preferences.

I'm not asking Lexus to change anything to fit my needs - I'm simply not used to it because no other car I've ever owned has done the same thing. Good grief.
Old 11-20-15, 06:44 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

As I said earlier, I appreciate the feedback and understand that apparently I cannot remedy the issue. I explained that my personal habit and the way I get out of the car causes an annoying noise. It's no different than people who purchase Carista to change any other setting on the car. We each have different personal preferences.

I'm not asking Lexus to change anything to fit my needs - I'm simply not used to it because no other car I've ever owned has done the same thing. Good grief.
Which is exactly why I said what I did, you have been offered the solution, but you refuse to do that and want a "fix" for it, whether by Lexus or aftermarket. Change your ways and learn the new car, don't ask for a solution and when one is presented to you ignore it and ask for something else.

Quick Reply: The dinging - make it stop