NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Nebula Gray Pearl & Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 11:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Nebula Gray Pearl & Front License Plate

Is there anyone with a Nebula Gray Pearl NX have a front license plate mounted? If so, could you post a photo(s) of the front of the vehicle?

I'm debating on whether I should mount mine or not. By California law, we have to, but it's not strictly enforced. I just went three years without one on my previous vehicle.

My concern is that the plate will take away from the cool, aggressive look of the NX.

My options are:
  • Mount the plate traditionally
  • Mount the plate with a slightly tinted cover (also against CA code)
  • Mount the plate as low as possible with the bracket zip-tied to the grill.
  • Mount the plate off-center using towing-eyelet mount
  • Don't mount the plate at all

I know there are threads for other Lexus models, but I wanted to see if there are any Nebula Gray NX pics to be shown.
Old 10-27-15, 11:25 AM
arc918
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving here in So Cal without a front license plate for over 20 years now. I just keep it in the trunk and have never had a problem. I happen think the NX looks better without a front plate.

Just steer clear of the city owned parking lots of Santa Monica. Those money grubbing crooks will ticket you while hiding behind the guise of public safety.

I'm getting ready to hand my ES350 over to my daughter and get an NX. I'm just waiting for more 2016s to roll in.
Old 10-27-15, 11:45 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by arc918
Just steer clear of the city owned parking lots of Santa Monica. Those money grubbing crooks will ticket you while hiding behind the guise of public safety.
From what I understand the satellite parking lots at LAX (specifically Lot C) are popular targets for these types of tickets.
Old 10-27-15, 11:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that the plates look like crap on the front of the NX.

If you're concerned parking lots, why not just keep the plate in your glove box, and when you park the car, put the plate on the dash, or tuck it into your windshield sun shield?

Otherwise, I would recommend if you park somewhere, bend a paper clip, run it through the plate, cover it in felt tape, and when you park, get out, put the plate into the grill and walk away. When you come back, grab the plate back off, and put it back into the car.
Old 10-27-15, 12:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

If you're concerned parking lots, why not just keep the plate in your glove box, and when you park the car, put the plate on the dash, or tuck it into your windshield sun shield?

Otherwise, I would recommend if you park somewhere, bend a paper clip, run it through the plate, cover it in felt tape, and when you park, get out, put the plate into the grill and walk away. When you come back, grab the plate back off, and put it back into the car.
That's too much work.
if it were practical. I hear that it's not too stable at speed.

Old 10-27-15, 12:16 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

That's too much work? To bend 2 paperclips and put felt on them? Oh holy #*#$....
Old 10-27-15, 12:34 PM
NXOwner
Racer

That's too much work? To bend 2 paperclips and put felt on them?
No, getting out each time to "hang the plate" is too much, especially in adverse weather. Then, forgetting to retrieve the plate once you drive off. Your suggestion is so impractical in many ways.
Old 10-27-15, 12:47 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXOwner
No, getting out each time to "hang the plate" is too much, especially in adverse weather. Then, forgetting to retrieve the plate once you drive off. Your suggestion is so impractical in many ways.
If you did it properly, it would take you approximately 10 seconds to hang it in the grill, and 10 more seconds to remove it (even with an umbrella in hand!)

If you don't have 20 seconds...your time must cost A LOT more than mine...and a ticket for that sake.
Old 10-27-15, 12:52 PM
arc918
Driver School Candidate

I took the suggestion as hang the plate only when you are parking in a potential trouble spot (LAX public lots, Santa Monica city lots, etc.).

I agree it would be impractical to take it on and off every time you parked the car.
Old 10-27-15, 01:00 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arc918
I took the suggestion as hang the plate only when you are parking in a potential trouble spot (LAX public lots, Santa Monica city lots, etc.).

I agree it would be impractical to take it on and off every time you parked the car.
And I took their conversation to mean this is NOT an everyday thing but rather only certain parking lots in certain locations. If it is, then yes, its impractical, if its a once every 2 weeks, its fine.
Old 10-27-15, 01:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It seems like it would be so much easier just to decide upfront either to go without and hope for the best, or, bite the bullet and just mount the plate. Odds are that after a short period you won't really notice it's there.
Old 10-27-15, 06:04 PM
donieobseo
Driver School Candidate

I got a tow hook license plate mount for my NX.

Old 10-27-15, 07:23 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donieobseo
I got a tow hook license plate mount for my NX.
The reason people don't want to mount their plates is for aesthetic purposes. This, for me, is not aesthetic at all. It's either on or off for me.
Old 10-27-15, 08:08 PM
badkulo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have a Nebula grey Fsport and this is the one I ordered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will upload pictures tomorrow. I also have gone more than 90mph and it has held up fine.
Old 10-27-15, 09:21 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by badkulo
Hi, I have a Nebula grey Fsport and this is the one I ordered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will upload pictures tomorrow. I also have gone more than 90mph and it has held up fine.
Excellent, I look forward to seeing them. If I may ask, could you include at least one image from a distance and then some close-ups of the mounting?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Nebula Gray Pearl & Front License Plate