NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Do you have to add oil between oil change??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 01:48 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have to add oil between oil change??

Hi, everybody

Are you guys aware of excessive oil consumption with BMW and Subaru direct fuel injection engine? There are class action lawsuit going on with the excessive oil burning issue. Owners claimed they have to add a quart of oil every 4,000 to 5,000 miles with their new cars.

I haven't read any NX posts regards to the oil consumption. I wonder whether you have to add oil between oil change? Do you think the toyota direct fuel injection engine is better?? Thanks for any comments.

Have been thinking to get a NX but kind of worry about this issue
Old 10-23-15, 03:59 PM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14,700 Ks and just changed oil and filter, and it was down 1/3 of a quart
Old 10-23-15, 04:00 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

GDI is nothing new to Toyota. They first introduced this in 1988. I would say that GDI, in general, is safe, but maybe certain implementations of it could be subpar (as in BMW's case).
Old 10-23-15, 05:10 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Several factors here

1. How did you break the engine in? If you were incompetent breaking it in and didn't play by the rules, it will burn oil. If you didn't push it as you reached the end of break in, you'll burn oil.

2. It's a boosted engine. They inherently burn oil. So to find some oil gone is entirely normal.

3. Engines have blow by. My camaro blows oil by the valve cover in which its caught by my catch can. Most cars have similar designs.

People who make these class action suits are usually those that are under educated in how engines work, and expect it to be perfect all the time without asking WHY.

My NX is fine personally.
Old 10-23-15, 05:37 PM
lexie
Pole Position

thank you so much for all the replys. Really appreciated.

I think the big question that remains has to do with the long-term effects of GDI on vehicle reliability and service cost, meaning long after warranties have expired and manufacturers can no longer be held liable for anything. What will GDI mean to people that hold on to vehicles beyond 10 years?

It is not just the carbon buildup & burning oil problems that we've seen with other car makers, but the long-term stress related failures resulting from much higher fuel pressures, higher fuel injector voltages, tighter tolerances, etc.

Most auto makers only worry about longevity of components for their warranty period!

So I think its safe to say direct injection will most likely serve the car maker well for better fuel economy and more horse power. Its the longer lifespan of the car for second or third owner I think will have to deal with direct injections negatives.

Last edited by lexie; 10-23-15 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

At my 8k km servicing, mine required a top-up, but was minimal (so they told me).
Old 10-24-15, 10:15 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought mine with 4550 miles on it (dealer demo). I changed the oil at 5000 miles, it was not low but I don't know if the dealer added any. I now have 7800 miles total on it and it has not burned any. My last vehicle was a F150 with the twin turbo, direct injection engine and it did not use any between the 5000 mile oil changes. I traded it in with 32000 miles on it.
Old 10-27-15, 10:17 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

5000 km and 6 months later, oil level still checks good.
Old 10-29-15, 08:35 PM
Falcin
Driver School Candidate

Default Hopefully not!

I traded a 2011 Q5 4 cylinder Turbo for a NX in June. Got rid of the Audi because of excessive oil consumption issues. Every 900 miles (not exaggerating), low oil warning would come up stating "safe to drive add 1qt". Issue started occurring at about 20,000 miles. After countless back and forth, Audi agreed to complete a oil consumption test. After 3 separate service visits to complete the various tests, they decided to replace the Pistons. Car stalled day after I picked it up. After a week at Audi fixing it, I went straight to Lexus to trade it. I'm hoping this car doesn't have the same issue. So far I have 5k and just completed the 5k complimentary service. They did not mention of the oil had to be topped off. It wasn't written in the notes so hopefully all is good.
Old 10-29-15, 08:40 PM
Falcin
Driver School Candidate

Default Also...

Audi also had a class action law suit amongst their 4 cylinder turbo owners for excessive oil consumption issues. Q5 model was included in that lawsuit. However dealerships play unaware and don't want to fix the issue. Even the new 2015 Audi A3 model was recently cited by Motor Trend for having an oil consumption issue during their long term update.
Old 10-29-15, 10:30 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Falcin
I traded a 2011 Q5 4 cylinder Turbo for a NX in June. Got rid of the Audi because of excessive oil consumption issues. Every 900 miles (not exaggerating), low oil warning would come up stating "safe to drive add 1qt". Issue started occurring at about 20,000 miles. After countless back and forth, Audi agreed to complete a oil consumption test. After 3 separate service visits to complete the various tests, they decided to replace the Pistons. Car stalled day after I picked it up. After a week at Audi fixing it, I went straight to Lexus to trade it. I'm hoping this car doesn't have the same issue. So far I have 5k and just completed the 5k complimentary service. They did not mention of the oil had to be topped off. It wasn't written in the notes so hopefully all is good.
I think it is better to monitor oil level yourself than trusting the dealers. I think they all play unaware and they'll tell you that is normal by adding quart of oil every thousand or few thousand miles.
Old 10-30-15, 04:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Were they being vague to you when they said "pistons" were being replaced? I would think that the whole bottom end would be replaced, or they would have to sleeve it.

Then again, reasons like this are why I'd never buy and Audi...no matter how attractive they are.
Old 10-30-15, 07:51 AM
Falcin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Were they being vague to you when they said "pistons" were being replaced? I would think that the whole bottom end would be replaced, or they would have to sleeve it.

Then again, reasons like this are why I'd never buy and Audi...no matter how attractive they are.
They were vague. They first replaced the piston rings and seals at 40k. That didn't solve the issue, so they took engine apart and replaced all the pistons. It was my first Audi and my last. Nice looking cars however their reliability is atrocious. Luckily I was still covered under warranty. Otherwise the bill would have been huge. A lot of Audi owners are currently dealing with this oil consumption issue in their fairly new cars. Apparently their V6 engine does not have the same oil consumption issues.
Old 10-30-15, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

They were vague. They first replaced the piston rings and seals at 40k. That didn't solve the issue, so they took engine apart and replaced all the pistons. It was my first Audi and my last. Nice looking cars however their reliability is atrocious. Luckily I was still covered under warranty. Otherwise the bill would have been huge. A lot of Audi owners are currently dealing with this oil consumption issue in their fairly new cars. Apparently their V6 engine does not have the same oil consumption issues.
I've read that Audi has increased the warranty on these engines to 100k miles. Still, if I had a vehicle effected, I'd be gone too.

We have a '13 2.0t Q5 that will be three years old next month with zero issues. Just two oil changes and tire rotations. No complaints at all, but fingers still crossed.
Old 10-30-15, 07:35 PM
Motorworx
Driver School Candidate

We've found that the majority of the oil consumption problems in newer Toyota's is due to people using cheap oil, or not using 0W-20.

0W-20 is synthetic, and when people opt for the cheap change, going with 5W-30, or whatever cheap oil, and then keep on the extended interval, they end up with sticking rings, and burning a quart every 1,000 km, or so. In most cases that I've caught early, changing back to OEM 0W-20 solved the issue after a few changes.

Different problem than what's going on in the German cars.

Quick Reply: Do you have to add oil between oil change??