NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

💡 Photos of my LED Bulb Replacement in Cargo Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 02:46 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been meaning to test - but I wonder how much more light you could get if you wrapped the plastic shell in aluminum or white paper to reflect the light outwards.
Old 01-07-16, 03:06 PM
JediDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
I've been meaning to test - but I wonder how much more light you could get if you wrapped the plastic shell in aluminum or white paper to reflect the light outwards.

I thought about it, but was just too lazy. I have some thin adhesive shiny foil for model kits I could have used. Kind of annoyed that the factory didn't metalize the housing part or at least cast it in white.
Old 01-15-16, 12:47 PM
bjhegstad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the LED bulbs, but the covers aren't that easy to remove, any suggestions?
Old 01-15-16, 12:49 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bjhegstad
I got the LED bulbs, but the covers aren't that easy to remove, any suggestions?
In the photo further up the thread you'll see a channel in one end of the lens, underneath which is a clip which holds the lens in. I used a wide flat-head screwdriver to depress the clip allowing me to pull that side of the lens out.
Old 01-15-16, 02:37 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjhegstad
pry out from the side where the switch is
Old 01-16-16, 07:48 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to replace mine but I am not sure which ones to buy for my 2015 in Canada. Has anyone bought the leds in Canada?
Old 01-16-16, 08:15 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1halifax
I like to replace mine but I am not sure which ones to buy for my 2015 in Canada. Has anyone bought the leds in Canada?
Pop your housing/lens out and post a pic. Then we can tell you for sure.
Old 01-16-16, 05:50 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

My 2016 model uses T10 bulbs. Same as the vanity mirrors. So much easier than these festoon ones as T10 ones are very popular.

I have a question thought. Are the switches supposed to be facing towards the back for both sides? Mine is facing back on the left and on the right, the switch is facing towards the front of the car.
Old 01-16-16, 09:16 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
My 2016 model uses T10 bulbs. Same as the vanity mirrors. So much easier than these festoon ones as T10 ones are very popular.

I have a question thought. Are the switches supposed to be facing towards the back for both sides? Mine is facing back on the left and on the right, the switch is facing towards the front of the car.
I noticed the same thing, which seemed odd. But when you pull it out, you can't just flip one over so both switches are toward the back. I forgot if it was the cabling was in a certain direction or if the housing only fit that way. But yeah, seemed silly to me.
Old 01-17-16, 12:24 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I noticed the same thing, which seemed odd. But when you pull it out, you can't just flip one over so both switches are toward the back. I forgot if it was the cabling was in a certain direction or if the housing only fit that way. But yeah, seemed silly to me.
It is the housing shape and the plastic on the car. They are facing different directions. The cableing is also opposite on different sides.

I swear it was on the same side before I changed it.
Old 01-17-16, 08:00 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1

This is also the case for 3IS trunk light when compared to the one in 2IS. Personally I prefer festoon ones for the trunk as it is difficult to find a T10 bulb that has the correct orientation for the actual LEDs unless you find the panel type which has multiple input plugs (T10, T10 x31/Festoon, G14).

This is the trend for Lexus to switch all trunk (and also the dome light) from festoon (or called T10 x31 in Japanese reference) to T10. Festoon light bulb is usually brighter than T10 in the same product line.

But the good thing is Lexus has already switched to LED for the dome lights for some. So festoon light is becoming a more specialized type of bulbs (same as reverse light which is T16 if you decide to change it to LED in NX, RX, IS, etc). T10 is more versatile that you can throw in most of the locations inside a car.
Old 01-17-16, 02:24 PM
typocl
Instructor

it's good and bad for the LED in the dome - I believe they built the thing so you can't just replace an LED bulb, so if it goes, it'll be expensive.
Old 01-17-16, 02:43 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it's good and bad for the LED in the dome - I believe they built the thing so you can't just replace an LED bulb, so if it goes, it'll be expensive.
That's really true although LED normally outlasts the life of the car especially of the infrequent use of some light (vs exterior lights).

But I prefer changeable design as you can upgrade the light bulb (say you find the light not bright enough or prefer different color temperature)
Old 01-18-16, 09:54 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally replaced the bulbs in the cargo area over the weekend. The bulbs came slightly longer than the OEM one so I had to bend the metal piece housing a little big to make it fit.
Old 01-18-16, 11:10 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Surprised that they did not put in a reflector for the housing...

I always line my housings - no matter the car with silver duct tape. Makes it more reflective!
I noticed the NX just has a blank, plastic holder.

Quick Reply: 💡 Photos of my LED Bulb Replacement in Cargo Area