NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 05:49 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Car is in for the tapping rattle I have too. They said they will be likely removing the screen, sending it to Lexus for analysis for which case I'd be getting a new one.
My old display screen is going to have more company!

I wouldn't be surprised if—in mid-year—Lexus replaces those on the assembly line with displays that aren't so fragile. Displays with either removed coating or with a coating that is more resilient.
Old 12-31-15, 03:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Update. Got a call from my SA today. New NAV screen has been ordered and could arrive later next week.
Old 01-01-16, 12:55 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Update. Got a call from my SA today. New NAV screen has been ordered and could arrive later next week.
any other info on why this happened - is it a failure of specific screens, or something that affects all of them?
Old 01-01-16, 05:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
any other info on why this happened - is it a failure of specific screens, or something that affects all of them?
Likely a supplier defect as per the Service Manager and he mentioned that ever since Lexus moved to three separate suppliers for their Infotainment systems, issues have increased. Pioneer is for the radio unit, Fujitsu for the display, and third (don't recall) for the Remote Touch Controller.

However, I will be carefully testing by wiping a tiny spot in the corner with a damp MF cloth after replacement of the screen. Hoping the screen won't blotch or peel.

NXOwner: Did you ever test to wipe down your new screen?
Old 01-01-16, 12:04 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I think when I bring my car in for service, I'll request that they do a wipe/clean of the screen so if it's defective, they can see how easy it is to happen.
Old 01-01-16, 12:56 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I was worried this would happen to our new RX since it has the new dash design of having the screen perched on the dash without protection, so I went online to find a screen protector. Unfortunately it seems like no one has one for the shape of the RX's 12.3" screen. Then I found a company willing to custom make one for me that has antireflective technology. They don't have one posted for the NX yet, but if someone is willing to measure and send them the measurements, they can make one so that you guys wouldn't have to worry about this problem.

Here's the website:
http://www.nushield.com

I went with DayVue because it was the clearest and seemed to be the best option for automotive use.
Thanks for this info!

On the website it only has RX 350 2016. Do they assume it is for the 12.3 inch screen because doesn't the RX have the 8 inch screen as well?

Also, how do you like the screen protector? Does it provide enough clarity?
Old 01-03-16, 05:22 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I've used Optico cleaning wipes from Costco to clean both the NX and IS displays with no problems. The wipes are alcohol based. I suspect this is a quality control issue in the display coating.

Old 01-03-16, 10:14 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

NXOwner: Did you ever test to wipe down your new screen?
To be honest, I haven't touched the screen since they replaced it (other than to measure it in order to make the custom cover).
Old 01-04-16, 12:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
I've used Optico cleaning wipes from Costco to clean both the NX and IS displays with no problems. The wipes are alcohol based. I suspect this is a quality control issue in the display coating.

I wonder when you used this, did you wipe away the entire layer that was referred to in this thread. Alcohol based solutions should not be used on LCD screens. My father learned that the hard way on his old Audi.
Old 01-04-16, 07:22 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by dchar
I wonder when you used this, did you wipe away the entire layer that was referred to in this thread. Alcohol based solutions should not be used on LCD screens. My father learned that the hard way on his old Audi.
I've been using this product for years to clean various electronic's screens and never noticed any issues. The product is specifically for cleaning eyewear and electronic displays. Our IT department at work also uses these on our monitors at work. Best of all, it's made in Canada.

I tried to take a picture of the NX display to confirm if anti-reflective coating came off but it was hard to tell. I don't see any glare from the camera flash though, so I'm guessing it's still there. I also think there would be peeling and residue marks as others have experienced as it's not easy to remove the entire coating, as some members in the 3IS forum has tried. The somewhat grainy feel on the display is still there and not smooth and gripy, as I would expect if the coating was worn off.
Old 01-05-16, 06:34 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to DAISO and I got this screen protector. It is for an 8-inch screen but the 7-inch on the NX + the borders should be fine. I am getting my car this week so I will let you guys know how well it fits.

Old 01-06-16, 01:45 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I went to DAISO and I got this screen protector. It is for an 8-inch screen but the 7-inch on the NX + the borders should be fine. I am getting my car this week so I will let you guys know how well it fits.
I wonder how much did it cost you in Australia? This item which costs 108 Japanese yens will costs about Cdn$2.99 if found locally in some dollar shop.
Old 01-06-16, 04:53 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyL
I wonder how much did it cost you in Australia? This item which costs 108 Japanese yens will costs about Cdn$2.99 if found locally in some dollar shop.
Daiso here is AUD$2.80.

Some of the newer stores have multiple tier pricing like $1.80, $2.80, $5.80 for a wider variety of stuff.
Old 01-06-16, 06:54 PM
computerwi
Advanced

If that screen protector isn't anti-reflective, it will make viewing the display a real pain.
Old 01-07-16, 04:33 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by computerwi
If that screen protector isn't anti-reflective, it will make viewing the display a real pain.
The screen is glossy isn't it? I know it has that anti-reflective coating (which wears off) and I don't think a matte screen protector would work anyway, it just diffuses the light.

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?