NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 02:04 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
So just got off the phone with the dealership parts department to check on the status of my order. Looks like there is a national backorder on the screen replacement and there are 15 other customers waiting for the same part. Guessing this screen issue isn't an isolated case.
I took my car in this morning for the new screen. 1 1/2 hours later and I was headed home, the new screen looks great!
Old 03-23-18, 02:05 PM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like all or most of you I too am having the same scratched appear. However, I purchased a CPO an it came with them. Here is my dilemma.

I have tried to remove all of the coating after my very inexpensive screen protector showed up today. I have tried alcohol, Mothers VLR, Windex, and even Soft Scrub. I can only get a VERY small amount to come off. I don't know why all of your came off so easily. I want to get it off and can't.

What gets this off easily?

BTW, I ordered an anti glare screen protector. I put a small piece on it and I can already see this is going to look very stock.

Please help.
Old 03-24-18, 10:00 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

search youtube for removing anti-glare coating off of glasses. From what I saw, they use lens cleaning or isopropyl alcohol (soak though) and scrape with a plastic tool
Old 03-24-18, 04:20 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up Kudos to Newport Lexus!

So, as the originator of this thread, I have to say that although I have been using my custom-made nav screen cover for almost two years, it happened to slip off at the car wash and the detailers must've got some overspray on the screen.

To refresh your memories, my origin incident (and basis for this whole thread) happened soon after taking delivery of my NX in 2015 and my local Lexus dealership replaced the screen right away. It was after then that I made the protective cover. Fast-forward to current day (over two years later), my screen was deteriorating again.

I took it into the dealership and they said that the replacement screen two years ago was the same part number as what was in there from the factory (they had not actually fixed the problem--they just gave me a new screen). This time, however, they did say that there is a new screen available that doesn't exhibit this bubbling problem. The caveat is that they are difficult to obtain. It took over a month for them to get this new screen for me. They received it last week and I had them install it. It looks good and they said I would never have this bubbling issue again.

Kudos to Newport Lexus (Newport Beach, California). You've really earned my future business!

Here is a photo of my (second) screen before and my third screen (after)...

This is the second time Lexus replaced my nav screen.

p.s.
I'm still going to use my custom cover whenever I'm at the carwash. (you just never know) ;-)

@newportlexus #navscreen #navdisplay #nav #newportlexus

Last edited by NXOwner; 03-25-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 06:43 PM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone tried this? Found it on Amazon

Lexus NX 300 8 inch Lexus NX 300 8 inch

Lexus NX 300 10.3 inch Lexus NX 300 10.3 inch

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-18, 02:47 PM
messedupsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this doesn't make any sense but has anyone here experienced having scratches on their nav screen without even touching it with anything. i know it makes no sense but i have two scratches and never touched it without anything. i'm not sure what to say to my rep.
Old 11-30-18, 04:51 PM
mandril420
Driver School Candidate

I used invisible glass on the navscreen display and it started peeling off but I just had my nav screen display lens replaced free of charge by jmlexus here in south florida. they replaced it just today on my 2015 NX for free under warranty jm lexus is awesome if you are in south florida btw. apparently it is a factory defect and it should not happen on the updated version of the lcd display lens they said. Thank you JM Lexus!
Old 02-18-19, 08:53 AM
DietrichNL
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same issue with my IS.
Tried different kinds of things, and what worked for my nav screen was very simple, Nail polish remover.
First i tried it on a corner of the screen, and after a few wipes with a soft cloth it got clean, then i just applied that to the whole screen, and the nav screen looks brand new a year after applying that method.
Old 02-23-19, 11:24 PM
DietrichNL
Driver School Candidate

So now we have a 2014 NX which has the same problem.

The dealership wants to replace the nav screen after some mechanic tried to clean it and it didn't work.

I already have an appointment next week to have it replaced, but yesterday i tried my own method and after twenty minutes of polishing with the wife's nail polish remover i now have a brand new looking screen.
Somehowe they didn't take their time working on it, or just used the wrong stuff to work with. It takes some time untill you see results but it will work.
Replacing that screen would take about 2,5 hours, and what the screen itself would cost i just don't know, but since it probably would be replaced with a screen that would get the same problem in the future i think i will cancel the appointment.
(Maybe this mechanic just doesn't like to go out and buy nail polish remover.)
Old 02-25-19, 04:10 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DietrichNL
So now we have a 2014 NX which has the same problem.

The dealership wants to replace the nav screen after some mechanic tried to clean it and it didn't work.

I already have an appointment next week to have it replaced, but yesterday i tried my own method and after twenty minutes of polishing with the wife's nail polish remover i now have a brand new looking screen.
Somehowe they didn't take their time working on it, or just used the wrong stuff to work with. It takes some time untill you see results but it will work.
Replacing that screen would take about 2,5 hours, and what the screen itself would cost i just don't know, but since it probably would be replaced with a screen that would get the same problem in the future i think i will cancel the appointment.
(Maybe this mechanic just doesn't like to go out and buy nail polish remover.)
There was a coating on the screen that was separating. They’ve been replacing the screen under warranty with a screen with a different coating that doesn’t bubble up. What you did was completely remove that coating. I don’t know what will happen long term to the screen without the coating but you probably find out. Since your screen now looks like new, they probably won’t replace it. Let us know how this turns out.
Old 02-25-19, 07:10 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr

There was a coating on the screen that was separating. They’ve been replacing the screen under warranty with a screen with a different coating that doesn’t bubble up. What you did was completely remove that coating. I don’t know what will happen long term to the screen without the coating but you probably find out. Since your screen now looks like new, they probably won’t replace it. Let us know how this turns out.
pretty sure it's an anti glare coating
Old 02-26-19, 12:35 PM
DietrichNL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
pretty sure it's an anti glare coating
I haven't a clue what it was, but the screen is now clean and even in bright sunshine no problems with glare or any other issues.
I am happy with it.
Old 02-27-19, 11:57 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.getcleanam.com/blogs/ins...r-touch-screen

Just a note. Be sure you use a window cleaner safe for any tinted windows if you have them.

Last edited by chas410; 02-27-19 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 03-07-19, 06:34 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue with my 16 Nx. I’ve always used water and a microfibre cloth to clean the screen, never any chemicals or sprays. Noticed the smudges yesterday after cleaning and brought it into the dealer today and they said they’ll replace under warranty. Just wondering if it’s possible for me to keep the old screen after replacement?
Old 03-07-19, 06:35 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdt
Same issue with my 16 Nx. I’ve always used water and a microfibre cloth to clean the screen, never any chemicals or sprays. Noticed the smudges yesterday after cleaning and brought it into the dealer today and they said they’ll replace under warranty. Just wondering if it’s possible for me to keep the old screen after replacement?
No, they will need to send it back for warranty.

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?