NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 12:46 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think they changed the screen. I think it was just a bad batch.
Old 03-09-17, 09:21 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this issue big time. The dealer replaced it under warranty with no questions asked. Had to wait for the screen to come which took 2 full weeks (back order). They let me borrower a RX so no complaints here.

Hopefully the issue will not repeat itself with the new unit. Has anyone gotten the same peeling on their second unit/screen?

Also, did the 2016 & 2017 get a bigger screen?
Old 03-10-17, 03:06 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by toonchew
Also, did the 2016 & 2017 get a bigger screen?
No peeling on our 2016. Screen is the same size.
Old 10-08-17, 01:25 PM
typocl
Instructor

had my nav screen replaced due to the coating coming off. Then I had some other issue and they reseated the screen. Under certain lighting, I see some scratches on the screen. I saw in I think the IS forum, someone bought a screen protector from Amazon. So, instead of me getting some tablet protector and cutting it down, I searched Amazon for one specific for the NX. I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748CLPR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748CLPR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I got it, it was only $11.99.

It's a tempered glass type protector. I cleaned the screen with eyeglass cleaner, then wiped with tissue, then used compressed air to blow off any dust (the package contained some dust wipes though). Then I started to line up the protector and cursed as it seemed too large, then I realized the screen tapers, so I flipped the protector and it was good. Removed the backing (they provide a suction cup for holding the front) and applied. Seems to hide the scratches and hopefully will last. The downside of this particular one is it's definitely isn't anti-glare. So far, that hasn't bothered me.
Old 10-12-17, 08:29 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I noticed today that my screen has started delaminating. We will see what the dealer says the next time we have it in for something. Ours is a 2015 with 28K miles and the original screen.
Old 10-14-17, 04:57 PM
typocl
Instructor

if they give you a hard time, ask them how to clean it, then have them show you on a spot that's not messed up yet, good chance it'll start coming off.
Old 12-16-17, 07:45 AM
Carol9026
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
I've been using this product for years to clean various electronic's screens and never noticed any issues. The product is specifically for cleaning eyewear and electronic displays. Our IT department at work also uses these on our monitors at work. Best of all, it's made in Canada.

I tried to take a picture of the NX display to confirm if anti-reflective coating came off but it was hard to tell. I don't see any glare from the camera flash though, so I'm guessing it's still there. I also think there would be peeling and residue marks as others have experienced as it's not easy to remove the entire coating, as some members in the 3IS forum has tried. The somewhat grainy feel on the display is still there and not smooth and gripy, as I would expect if the coating was worn off.
I have a 2014 ct and my screen looks like yours towards the bottom where the the line is brighter and you can kind of see the picture again. What is the issue?
Old 12-18-17, 07:41 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carol9026
I have a 2014 ct and my screen looks like yours towards the bottom where the the line is brighter and you can kind of see the picture again. What is the issue?
That's just part of the UI. The icons reflect at the bottom of the display. It's a visual effect, nothing wrong with the display.
Old 01-31-18, 10:44 AM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2015 F Sport Model. Noticed some blotching on the navigation screen today. Thought it came from the car wash but tested the screen by using the licked finger method and blotching appeared from that. Don't think a screen should be that sensitive so took it to the dealership and they are replacing under warranty. Just a pain though as they have to order the part. Guess it's better than having to pay for a new screen though
Old 02-01-18, 09:39 AM
typocl
Instructor

glad your dealer didn't try to blame you like some other dealers seem to be doing
Old 02-01-18, 01:06 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
glad your dealer didn't try to blame you like some other dealers seem to be doing
I finally took our NX in to have the nav data base updated and the screen looked at. There was no argument on the screen, they said they need to take pictures and contact Lexus. They ordered a new screen for us and will call when it comes in. I got the impression they have replaced numerous screens.
Old 02-01-18, 08:24 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

I tend to only use a micro fiber cloth and light dampen it with water to clean anything. Never spray anything onto surfaces. I see a lot of detailers doing that, IE: Spray product on whatever then wipe, instead of spraying on the microfiber cloth then wiping.

The screen definitely looks like it's a manufacturing defect, This was happening on the w209 forum as well and the screen would delaminate from the bezel. Very ugly to see. A lot of *****ing would go back and forth with Mercedes or dealers but some got replaced while others didn't. One thing that was really pointing to the cause was something to do with the fabreeze air freshener vent clip on things. People would put it right near the screen and it would start to happen. Might not be related and that's what they were all coming together saying was a cause.

Glad to see that this is getting taken care of.

-Nigel
Old 02-05-18, 09:59 AM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I tend to only use a micro fiber cloth and light dampen it with water to clean anything. Never spray anything onto surfaces. I see a lot of detailers doing that, IE: Spray product on whatever then wipe, instead of spraying on the microfiber cloth then wiping.

The screen definitely looks like it's a manufacturing defect, This was happening on the w209 forum as well and the screen would delaminate from the bezel. Very ugly to see. A lot of *****ing would go back and forth with Mercedes or dealers but some got replaced while others didn't. One thing that was really pointing to the cause was something to do with the fabreeze air freshener vent clip on things. People would put it right near the screen and it would start to happen. Might not be related and that's what they were all coming together saying was a cause.

Glad to see that this is getting taken care of.

-Nigel
So just got off the phone with the dealership parts department to check on the status of my order. Looks like there is a national backorder on the screen replacement and there are 15 other customers waiting for the same part. Guessing this screen issue isn't an isolated case.
Old 02-05-18, 07:56 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by datpimp007
So just got off the phone with the dealership parts department to check on the status of my order. Looks like there is a national backorder on the screen replacement and there are 15 other customers waiting for the same part. Guessing this screen issue isn't an isolated case.
That's good in a way honestly because there is a "known" problem and not a "well... this normally never happens but we'll take care of you this one time only" type of crap. I'm 100% cool with companies owning it and making it right. Stuff happens. Considering that the majority of stuff that is made is being designed in house then outsourced for someone to make the part to "their" specs there will always sometimes be a error in production or a component used that is later revealed that it was not up to spec.. Kinda like how Toyota finally started replacing people's dash boards because they were becoming sticky and melting. (It did take long enough for them to get the butt in gear but they finally did the right thing).

-Nigel
Old 02-07-18, 05:19 PM
gilrebel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...just ordered this today to prevent this...made of Glass like Cell Phone Screen Protector.

Glass Screen Protector Glass Screen Protector

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?