NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Triple LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 05:21 AM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple LED headlights

Picked up an NX with triple LED headlights and noticed the first time driving in the dark while the lights are extremely bright the distance seems to be rather short compared to my previous vehicle (xenon HID). It appeared the distance was only about 3 car lengths give or take and whenever I hit uneven areas of pavement watching the end of of the lit area fluctuate was not something I'm used to. Anyone else experiencing this with their LED lights?
Old 09-26-15, 05:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In reality, the distance probably isn't any different than your HIDs were. With LEDs, the lense is a little sharper so you see the cutoff much better.

If you have a concern, feel free to take it to your dealer and ask them to adjust the lights. However, keep in mind that you can only go so far up before you hit the cutoff and begin to lose light.

With mine, on a flat surface, if I had to guess, I can see about 6-7 car lengths out. If i'm going down hill it can be as short as 1 car length depending on the angle of the car. At that point, I just turn the high beams on. Helped me this morning as I passed 5 deer on my way to work at 5am.
Old 09-26-15, 06:14 AM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
In reality, the distance probably isn't any different than your HIDs were. With LEDs, the lense is a little sharper so you see the cutoff much better.

If you have a concern, feel free to take it to your dealer and ask them to adjust the lights. However, keep in mind that you can only go so far up before you hit the cutoff and begin to lose light.

With mine, on a flat surface, if I had to guess, I can see about 6-7 car lengths out. If i'm going down hill it can be as short as 1 car length depending on the angle of the car. At that point, I just turn the high beams on. Helped me this morning as I passed 5 deer on my way to work at 5am.
Interesting... I never considered that. I will give it a little time to adjust to it. My friend and I were blown away on how bright those lights are. It looked like daylight the first time we drove off with the lights on.

What is your opinion on the auto hi-beams? I'm very hesitant to try it since the lights are already insanely bright and I'm concerned about being that guy that everyone hates on the road with high beams on LOL.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by hambone8; 09-26-15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-26-15, 06:22 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hambone8
Interesting... I never considered that. I will give it a little time to adjust to it. My friend and I were blown away on how bright those lights are. It looked like daylight the first time we drove off with the lights on.

What is your opinion on the auto hi-beams? I'm very hesitant to try it since the lights are already insanely bright and I'm concerned about being that guy that everyone hates on the road with high beams on LOL.

Thanks for the feedback!
I don't have auto hi beams as they weren't an option for the Fsport. So can't tell you.

I think the high beams on the car are great, and they certainly outdo the HIDs on my Camaro and even outdo the high beams on my wife's IS.

I wouldn't concern yourself about "offending" someone. Use the car as its intended. They don't like it...ask them where they built the dam to contain the water because they are crying you a river.
Old 09-26-15, 11:16 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Brightness and blinding oncoming drivers are two different things. You can have the brightest lights in the world but, as long as they are not aimed so high as to blind other drivers, you are fine. You can have much dimmer lighting but, if they are pointed high into oncoming traffic, then you will "be that guy".
Old 09-26-15, 11:30 AM
jdiron29
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's equipped with auto high beams then they automatically dim when there's oncoming traffic. There's a sensor that can sense light that does this so you don't need to worry about blinding people. It senses bright light so it also works when behind a vehicle
Old 09-26-15, 02:00 PM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

I have auto lights model and never been asked to lower beam, must not interfer with oncoming traffic
Old 09-27-15, 11:10 AM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I 'm going to going to run with them on for a while see and how it works out.
Old 09-28-15, 05:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I find the auto high-beam feature to be too sensitive. Even on very divided highways, the sensor keeps the high-beams off.
Old 09-29-15, 02:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I 'm going to going to run with them on for a while see and how it works out.
See how it works out? Have you read what you've typed? You're worried about using your car AS INTENDED because you're worried it will be too bright for the person coming the other way?

Lexus designed the system with thousands of hours of driving. I'm sure It will work just fine.

If someone flashes their brights at you, its probably some schmuck who is driving a 90s cavalier with big ole halogens that has no idea what they're looking at with that "new tech stuff".

I always look at it this way, they flash their brights at you for your STOCK lights, that's when you have a set of spot lights behind your grill (which I've considered doing for deer season, but it can certainly have multiple purposes ), turn THOSE on and blind the living crap out of them. Then maybe they will learn to keep their bs flashing to themselves.
Old 09-29-15, 06:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

LED headlights aren't all that unique these days. Keep an eye out for oncoming cars with them and you can see they aren't too bright or blinding. That is what your will look like to other drivers.
Old 09-29-15, 10:58 AM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
See how it works out? Have you read what you've typed? You're worried about using your car AS INTENDED because you're worried it will be too bright for the person coming the other way?

Lexus designed the system with thousands of hours of driving. I'm sure It will work just fine.

If someone flashes their brights at you, its probably some schmuck who is driving a 90s cavalier with big ole halogens that has no idea what they're looking at with that "new tech stuff".

I always look at it this way, they flash their brights at you for your STOCK lights, that's when you have a set of spot lights behind your grill (which I've considered doing for deer season, but it can certainly have multiple purposes ), turn THOSE on and blind the living crap out of them. Then maybe they will learn to keep their bs flashing to themselves.
Very nicely worded, sir! Great response. I just returned the SRX to the dealership yesterday and cruised around town in the NX WITH auto high beams enabled. They will be enabled non stop from here on out!

Last edited by hambone8; 09-29-15 at 06:34 PM.