NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Fob and computer not talking - a cure

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 08:17 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob and computer not talking - a cure

I ran into a situation last week and thought I'd share what I did to remedy the problem.

I went to the car and had the fob in my pocket, I could hear the door unlock and reached for the door handle. The car locked and started beeping wildly. I tried several times to lock/unlock and got nowhere. Went back into the house and grabbed the other fob, repeated my actions with no results.

Called Lexus who said a door must be unlocked/open, so open/close doors and it should be fine.
I had used my passenger door the night before but saw no lights warning me, nonetheless, I opened/closed all doors and liftback. Tried the fob again. No go, just warning beeps and the car locked on the driver's side.

Now I'm getting bummed.

Took the steel key out of the fob, unlocked the driver's door. Sat down and started the car. Viola, it reset the entire system somehow and I've been driving around fine for a week. I didn't know about the beeping being a warning of a door being open (locking the driver door, which I don't logically understand, but I thought I'd post if anyone else gets into the same situation. If you can get into the car with your steel key, you should be set.

This is a 'trick' that's not covered in the manual.
Old 09-23-15, 10:00 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
I ran into a situation last week and thought I'd share what I did to remedy the problem.

I went to the car and had the fob in my pocket, I could hear the door unlock and reached for the door handle. The car locked and started beeping wildly. I tried several times to lock/unlock and got nowhere. Went back into the house and grabbed the other fob, repeated my actions with no results.

Called Lexus who said a door must be unlocked/open, so open/close doors and it should be fine.
I had used my passenger door the night before but saw no lights warning me, nonetheless, I opened/closed all doors and liftback. Tried the fob again. No go, just warning beeps and the car locked on the driver's side.

Now I'm getting bummed.

Took the steel key out of the fob, unlocked the driver's door. Sat down and started the car. Viola, it reset the entire system somehow and I've been driving around fine for a week. I didn't know about the beeping being a warning of a door being open (locking the driver door, which I don't logically understand, but I thought I'd post if anyone else gets into the same situation. If you can get into the car with your steel key, you should be set.

This is a 'trick' that's not covered in the manual.
Excellent finding! Thanks!
Old 09-25-15, 07:29 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I had something similar. I ran into the store and my mother waited in the car. She got warm so opened her door. When I came out, the car beeped at me but would not unlock or open. I tried the left side doors and the rear door with no luck. Finally I hit the unlock button on the pax door that was open and the car unlocked and worked normally.
Old 09-28-15, 06:31 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
I had something similar. I ran into the store and my mother waited in the car. She got warm so opened her door. When I came out, the car beeped at me but would not unlock or open. I tried the left side doors and the rear door with no luck. Finally I hit the unlock button on the pax door that was open and the car unlocked and worked normally.
Interesting to hit the interior unlock. I'll keep that in mind if that happens to me!