NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation errors in 2015 nx 200 t

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-15, 01:32 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation errors in 2015 nx 200 t

I am getting more and more disillusioned with this souped up Toyota. I use the NX for mostly city driving so I hardly use the Navigation. Each time I have used the NX for longer distance travel and I had to rely on the Navigation, it is nothing but confusion.

This is my problem, can some one suggest a fix please.

1) Nav will not show the shortest route to a destination using Intra State roads but will only ONLY choose routes via Interstates which add easily 80 to 150 miles to the travel.

How do we force the system to truly explore all available roads including Interstate and intrastate roads and give us the true fast or shortest routes to destination?

2) The time to destination - ETA - is wayyyyy off by 1, 2 or more hours.

It is a shame that we have start the guidance with Google Map and use this for directions and not trust a lemon [souped up Toyota] of a car's Navigation system which probably belongs to the last century???

And Lexus calls it's self a Luxury car manufacturer, what a shame.
Old 09-20-15, 02:29 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

rocdude:

First of all, you're going to find that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar around here. 'Nuff said.

Please refer to the Owner's Navigation Manual pages 134, 135 and 136 for the options applicable to what you're asking.
Old 09-20-15, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
rocdude:

First of all, you're going to find that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar around here. 'Nuff said.

Please refer to the Owner's Navigation Manual pages 134, 135 and 136 for the options applicable to what you're asking.
Two good pieces of advice here...
Old 09-20-15, 05:16 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rocdude
I am getting more and more disillusioned with this souped up Toyota. I use the NX for mostly city driving so I hardly use the Navigation. Each time I have used the NX for longer distance travel and I had to rely on the Navigation, it is nothing but confusion.

This is my problem, can some one suggest a fix please.

1) Nav will not show the shortest route to a destination using Intra State roads but will only ONLY choose routes via Interstates which add easily 80 to 150 miles to the travel.

How do we force the system to truly explore all available roads including Interstate and intrastate roads and give us the true fast or shortest routes to destination?

2) The time to destination - ETA - is wayyyyy off by 1, 2 or more hours.

It is a shame that we have start the guidance with Google Map and use this for directions and not trust a lemon [souped up Toyota] of a car's Navigation system which probably belongs to the last century???

And Lexus calls it's self a Luxury car manufacturer, what a shame.
Lmao

First, Lexus doesn't call itself anything. Toyota calls Lexus its luxury brand. Toyota is still the manufacturer. Second, a luxury brand or economy brand does not matter on what your gps shows. It's a factor of the vendor they used for the gps unit in their OS interface. Toyota probably uses the same company across their entire fleet. They don't debate "would our Lexus drivers use more or less highways than the Toyota drivers? Would scion drivers prefer to drive thru the ghetto?"

And "souped up Toyota" does not make you sound cool, it just proves you literally know nothing about luxury v economy brands. Perhaps you come from GM or ford products where a change of fascia is considered a different level of luxury? Either way....away with you troll
Old 09-20-15, 05:18 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
Lmao

First, Lexus doesn't call itself anything. Toyota calls Lexus its luxury brand. Toyota is still the manufacturer. Second, a luxury brand or economy brand does not matter on what your gps shows. It's a factor of the vendor they used for the gps unit in their OS interface. Toyota probably uses the same company across their entire fleet.

And "souped up Toyota" does not make you sound cool, it just proves you literally know nothing about luxury v economy brands. Perhaps you come from GM or ford products where a change of fascia is considered a different level of luxury? Either way....away with you troll
I knew you'd be next, Swacie. I just knew it.
Old 09-20-15, 05:27 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I knew you'd be next, Swacie. I just knew it.
But. But. You missed the conversation I added after you quoted me! Lol
Old 09-20-15, 06:04 PM
StockTsi
Driver School Candidate

While I don't agree with OP about the Lexus brand, I do agree that the GOS sucks, Use it around San Diego and when there's a route I know (or know general direction to get there but not specific) I can often tell that there's a better way to go. I go with what I think is better and it often recalcs and ends up with shorter distance and/or time.

There's one around my house that baffles me. GPS says follow the main road 2-3 miles around to get to my house, but there's a major cut through that's half the distance it can't seen to ever find.
Old 09-20-15, 06:08 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

I use Waze. Nothing beats that.
Old 09-20-15, 06:17 PM
StockTsi
Driver School Candidate

I use Waze or Googke maps, but then question is why I paid $2k or whatever it was for the navigation package.

Plus even though my phone syncs Bluetooth it doesn't pipe the navigation commands from Google through the car sound system (unless there's a setting somewhere that I issued, which is possible).

And since I normally keep the sound of my phone off, I need to turn it up to hear it I the car - except that when I turn it up, my phone thinks I'm turning up the Bluetooth sound which as I said I'm not using, meaning I have to turn off Bluetooth, increase the volume, and then turn Bluetooth back on, I got the navigation in the car so I didn't have to mess why my phone while driving.
Old 09-20-15, 06:22 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by StockTsi
I use Waze or Googke maps, but then question is why I paid $2k or whatever it was for the navigation package.

Plus even though my phone syncs Bluetooth it doesn't pipe the navigation commands from Google through the car sound system (unless there's a setting somewhere that I issued, which is possible).

And since I normally keep the sound of my phone off, I need to turn it up to hear it I the car - except that when I turn it up, my phone thinks I'm turning up the Bluetooth sound which as I said I'm not using, meaning I have to turn off Bluetooth, increase the volume, and then turn Bluetooth back on, I got the navigation in the car so I didn't have to mess why my phone while driving.
On my iDevice, Waze can use either Bluetooth or the phone speaker (it's a Waze setting). I don't use the Bluetooth option, as I don't like how it cuts off (not mixes with) what I'm listening to on SiriusXM, the radio or my thumb drive. It's super irritating.

I do occasionally use the navi, but that's when I don't care about traffic or cops, or when I'm using the phone as a music source.
Old 09-20-15, 06:31 PM
StockTsi
Driver School Candidate

So back to the original point, if using a 3rd party app doesn't integrate well with the car's sound system the desire would be to use the integrated system which we paid quite handsomely to get. living in San Diego, traffic is always a concern so I always care about traffic. But it doesn't work well - and especially not for the price paid compared what you get with a $50 Garmin, TomTom, or FREE phone app.

This seems like something a software update could fix - the maps are fine, the issue is the navigation logic.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-20-15, 07:02 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you for all your answers

Thanks to everyone who generously answered my question or tried to pitching in.

Just an FYI. I am not a troll, I am a genuine first time Lexus owner, who is totally p******* off with the poor design and quality of this Lexus model.

If I try to answer/rebut all the questions raised in the previous posts then it will become flaming and is counter productive to useful answers from some knowledgeable Lexus users who may have had similar problems and who found the fix for it.

@15LexNxt
Thank you for trying to help but no, the solution you are pointing to will not and did not help with my issue.

I googled this problem and I find that this is not unique to Nxt200 but is a problem with Lexus navigation software [not the map but the Lexus software and this has been going on since 2004 or so]. I did find a solution that addresses this issue partially and with an 18 century fix by correcting the speed settings in Lexus.

But the option to change the speed settings has been removed in Nxt or rather I am not able to find it despite spending a few hours reading the manual.

And FYI... Lexus does not call it's Rx models as luxury vehicle but calls the NX as a luxury vehicle and compares it to BMW and such cheap cars [I am basing this on the Lexus survey they sent to me and imagine what my rating was for this model].

After having owned the NX for 8 months, I do believe that this is nothing but a souped up version of Toyota RAV4.

Sorry, you may not like this comment [I do not understand the reason as to why someone should take it upon himself to blindly defend a car], but if my understanding is correct this forum is to discuss the good and bad about Lexus vehicles. Please take this in this spirit.

Again thank you for trying to answer my question.
Old 09-20-15, 07:14 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

But the option to change the speed settings has been removed in Nxt or rather I am not able to find it despite spending a few hours reading the manual.
Interesting - most of the other models do give you the ability to set three "average" speeds for three "road types", whereas the NX does not. The NX assumes you drive the speed limit everywhere (as it does know the speed limit on the various roads).

Sounds like they removed it for some reason known only to them.
Old 09-20-15, 08:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After having owned the NX for 8 months, I do believe that this is nothing but a souped up version of Toyota RAV4.

Having owned a 2013 RAV4 LTD and now the NX I respectfully disagree with you on this comment. There is not much to compare between the RAV4 and the NX.
Also in case you're wondering the RAV4 does not use the same navigation system as in Lexus vehicles. The Lexus NAV is much better with many more features to it.
Old 09-21-15, 04:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4482
Having owned a 2013 RAV4 LTD and now the NX I respectfully disagree with you on this comment. There is not much to compare between the RAV4 and the NX.
Also in case you're wondering the RAV4 does not use the same navigation system as in Lexus vehicles. The Lexus NAV is much better with many more features to it.
But...souped up Toyota!

Quick Reply: Navigation errors in 2015 nx 200 t