NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX vs. Current RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 06:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default NX vs. Current RX

Dropped the NX off for the 5k mile maintenance yesterday, and got a 2015 RX as the loaner.

Some comments:

Pros:
-V6 is welcoming power on demand in comparison to the turbo 4.
-Very smooth over bumps

Cons:
-Interior is so dated it makes me sick
-Drives like a van, and all the viewing angles look like a van.
-The OS for the screen looks like windows 95 compared to what the NX has. While the NX is behind the german curve, the RX is equally that distance behind the NX.
-I have been spoiled by LED headlights, and now I absolutely hate the HIDs. Furthermore, the cheap halogen high beams are gross. While I understand that this car was going to be refreshed, they should have updated the 2015 a little more before dumping the model.
-Transmission could be smoother going down hill. While its smoother than the NX, its not near as smooth as the MDX.
-Back seat space is not much better than the NX. The entire extra space is just in the hatch, and that isn't even that much.

If I was a person buying a car right now, and couldn't wait for the new RX, if I had to pick between the MDX and RX, I would take the MDX in a second. Better interior, better tech, and a better drive (more like a SUV and less like a van).

I'm very interested to see how much improvement comes with the new RX. My assumption is that you're going to have NX quality exterior appearance, with the IS quality interior. That would turn the value of the car all around. I will probably take a glance at one when it comes out.

I know this is a pointless review, but given that I have the keys of an RX right now, thought I would give my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-15, 07:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the RX aged pretty well (minus the swoopy center console) considering it debuted in 2009. My only gripe with the RX is how noisy it is. The RX450h is quite loud when the engine is motorboating, but the RX350's drone is even worse! The ride is not very luxury-like either.

The RX did have optional LED headlights, although I've never seen it on a loaner.
Old 09-16-15, 07:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I think the RX aged pretty well (minus the swoopy center console) considering it debuted in 2009. My only gripe with the RX is how noisy it is. The RX450h is quite loud when the engine is motorboating, but the RX350's drone is even worse! The ride is not very luxury-like either.

The RX did have optional LED headlights, although I've never seen it on a loaner.
Yeah, I'm sure the loaner is a base model so I lose some comparison.

I just know the lack of room in the NX concerned me, especially with a kid in the "plans" down the road. Will I trade the NX for a new RX? Probably not, but I'll temporarily debate the idea.
Old 09-16-15, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have a current gen RX (2013). I absolutely love it - far more than I thought I would. With that said, I agree with some of your comments.

The V6 is very smooth and, at least to me, feels more powerful than it is. I am in love with it and hope the new version in the 4RX will be as smooth.

The quality/reliability aspect has been great as well. I'm at 21k miles and haven't had so much as a squeak, rattle, or any other kind of nuisance. Nothing but oil changes, filters, and tire rotations so far.

The interior is definitely circa 2009/2010, but it's still fine. We always get good compliments on it when others ride with us. The door panels are rather plain, and there are some cheap plastics, but overall we're very pleased with it. It's comfortable and reasonably quiet, and very spacious. I've loaded up the family, complete with strollers, pack'n plays, etc with ease. I've carried 7 foot lumber, and large sheets of plywood. Where you'll find the rear seat more spacious than the NX is in the width. I have put 3 car seats across in my RX, and understand that is not feasible in the NX.

As for navigation, you are absolutely correct in that the NX is worlds ahead of the RX. The nav system does it's job, but is undeniably dated.

I have no complaints with the HIDs on it, though I prefer the LEDs in my IS.

When we bought our RX, we did compare it to the MDX, but we didn't like certain aspects of the controls layout in the MDX, and it just felt way too big for what we needed. It's a great package though, for those looking for that size.

Last edited by JDR76; 09-16-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 09:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Few points - I have the 450h F-Sport

The interior is somewhat dated yes, but the quality in general is very good. On the NX I feel there are some bits which Lexus skimped on - ie, the arches are not felt but some sort of cheap rubber, the panels feel a lot thinner when washing (yes I washed my loaner as it was filthy! ) and the thing that bugged me most though, the side mirrors, they creak (dont know if it was because it was a loaner). Of course, the 200t is OK but we get the 300h F-Sport here and it sucks, no power whatsoever!

I have the swivelling LED headlights which are great IMO!

Also, I don't feel like my RX drives like a van, its pretty good fun IMO but then again, its an F-Sport and the extra weight helps slightly in counteracting the heavy front.

Personally, I think the new RX runs rings around the NX - its a much better package and looks better too IMO.
Old 09-17-15, 04:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

rayaans, the NX's creaking mirrors is an issue on my NX and every other NX I literally laid hands on at the dealer. It's one glaring omission of quality IMO on the NX. Other than that and some average plastics in the lower portions of the doors and dash, the materials and build quality is equal to or better than my past RX which had a few too many squeaks and rattles. I do miss the V6 power and folks who have read my posts in the IS forum know I prefer the 2.5 (or 3.5) V6 for its responsiveness and engine note over the Turbo 4.

Swacer, how solid and squeak-free is your RX loaner?
Old 09-17-15, 06:10 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I do miss the V6 power and folks who have read my posts in the IS forum know I prefer the 2.5 (or 3.5) V6 for its responsiveness and engine note over the Turbo 4.
Do I sense a possible trade of Darth to a new 4RX may be imminent?
Old 09-17-15, 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Do I sense a possible trade of Darth to a new 4RX may be imminent?
I'm a sucker for new Lexus vehicles. Almost pulled the trigger on the RC F trading in the IS so who knows about the 4RX. I do like the premium interior and overall look, but not so much the 192 inch length so it's still a tough sell...
Old 09-18-15, 03:55 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

rayaans, the NX's creaking mirrors is an issue on my NX and every other NX I literally laid hands on at the dealer. It's one glaring omission of quality IMO on the NX. Other than that and some average plastics in the lower portions of the doors and dash, the materials and build quality is equal to or better than my past RX which had a few too many squeaks and rattles. I do miss the V6 power and folks who have read my posts in the IS forum know I prefer the 2.5 (or 3.5) V6 for its responsiveness and engine note over the Turbo 4.

Swacer, how solid and squeak-free is your RX loaner?
I haven't found the creaking mirrors. My only issue has been that damn sound coming from my passenger door. over time I have been able to narrow down where its coming from. I believe there is something loose on the track that holds the window up. Reason I say this is every time I put the window down, I can hear something move. Once it has moved, the sound stops until I put the window up entirely again. I figure it was a bolt that wasn't tightened down properly. I'm fairly sure my car was built on a Friday....

Surprisingly, the RX was quite squeaky and had various other sounds. the car was a 2015 (I confirmed on the paperwork). There was a squeak somewhere behind the 2nd row seats, there was also a sound coming from somewhere right behind me but I couldn't put my finger on it. The more disturbing sound was the one that came from the front left side. It was like a harmonic metal vibration sound. Something like a manifold hitting off the frame type sound. Car only had 7700 miles on it too....

The A/C seats were VERY loud compared to my wife's IS.

I certainly hope the new RX is much better....

I'm a sucker for new Lexus vehicles. Almost pulled the trigger on the RC F trading in the IS so who knows about the 4RX. I do like the premium interior and overall look, but not so much the 192 inch length so it's still a tough sell...
lol...its a new car envy. I almost did the same thing. Heck, given the new "happy wife happy life" time frame of 2018, I've even pulled the new Z06 (with the Z07 package) into the mix lol

As for the RX, I don't think the length is that much different, I think I read that the car is only 5" longer, which I have a feeling is entirely coming from the big ole nose. I really doubt you'll be abl to tell the difference on length.
Old 09-18-15, 06:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Jumping into the discussion. I traded my '13 RX for the NX 7 months ago and couldn't be happier. Since the wife and I are empty nesters we didn't see the need for the larger RX, the NX is just about the perfect size for us. I even just came home with new a recliner stuffed in the rear without a hitch.

For me the RX became boring, it drove like a boat. It is great on interstate cruising but around town it just didn't hack it. With all the rain we get here in Florida the roads are often wet. I had a problem taking off at a stop light without spinning the wheels no matter how hard I tried to soft pedal it. I also hated the transmission gearing. It never seemed to be in the right gear around town. Overall the 3RX is a very comfortable and reliable vehicle but dated.

The NX to me is like a sports car almost compared to the RX. It rides and handles much better than my RX. So far I have no complaints. I don't even have a creaky side Mirror. I do miss having the power side mirrors like on the RX. Of course I knew when I bought it the NX required premium fuel that I don't like but I'm living with it, especially now that the gas prices are so low. I'm also not that happy with the gas mileage for a 4 banger and small car. I know my next vehicle will have a regular gas engine but most likely I am going to get a Hybrid. The new RX is certainly intriguing but I've moved on from that size. Also, I'm afraid by the time I load it up with the extras I'd want it's going to be way more than I'm willing to pay for.(60+K?)
Old 09-18-15, 07:02 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^I'm with you. Starting to think I should have bought a lottery ticket the day I bought my NX. I have no issues anyone complains about and there are no rattles, squeaks, or anything else. I can hit railroad tracks at 50+mph and nothing, no rattles or anything. Amazing vehicle and I feel for those that are having issues.

I traded a 2006 RX330 and obviously the NX blows that one out of the water. That RX was a fabulous vehicle as well. Was nervous about letting it go.
Old 09-18-15, 02:30 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenK
^^I'm with you. Starting to think I should have bought a lottery ticket the day I bought my NX. I have no issues anyone complains about and there are no rattles, squeaks, or anything else. I can hit railroad tracks at 50+mph and nothing, no rattles or anything. Amazing vehicle and I feel for those that are having issues.

I traded a 2006 RX330 and obviously the NX blows that one out of the water. That RX was a fabulous vehicle as well. Was nervous about letting it go.
Count me among those who have had zero issues with my NX.
Old 09-18-15, 04:53 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t

+1
Old 09-18-15, 07:08 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I wonder when the rattle free models were built. Toyota follows the kaizen principle. Continuous improvement with subtle changes that occur on an ongoing basis on the production line.
A March built NX that I test drove had the side mirror and door rattle issue. Not impressed.
An August built non f sport and an fsport model I test drove was as tight as a Honda.
Here's hoping as my Flame blue with Rose interior is being built right now.
Old 09-19-15, 06:11 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey guys ! I would like to chip in since I had an NX and traded for the RX.

The NX was a sharp CUV, and it was fun to drive. There were several reasons that I traded for the RX. Probably the main factor was I have had several Highlanders which I loved, and the NX was quite a change from them. Everything from size to the V6 that I loved and was use to in the Highlander. I thought I would enjoy the change to a bit smaller vehicle, but after being in the NX for awhile, it became a little claustrophobic for me.....one reason, all the black of the FSport interior. The 2015 RX is actually not too far off from the size of the Highlander, but because of it's design, it doesn't look as big, and I like it better.
If I had ordered a custom NX, I think I would have been much happier, and perhaps even getting the non F Sport might have made a difference as well because I would have gotten more of the features that I am use to. With that said, the NX was a beautiful car, very smooth and quiet with the exception of rougher roads where it did take bumps pretty hard.
@ Swacer..when I was getting the NX fixed, I had an RX for a loaner, and it was awful. It was a base, and of course had been abused with rock chips, had a tear in the seat, and rattles were many. I was glad to get the NX back !! The RX I purchased is like day and night to the loaner....it is super quiet, no rattles, etc, so it does make a difference. I'm not sure why so many complain that the RX isn't quiet, because you don't hear a thing in the one I have, and it is very smooth over all surfaces. As far as the MDX, I drove one of those too, it was nice, but I found the new one to look too much like a van..the same with the new Highlander. I guess i like the jelly bean look of the RX LOL !!
I find some of the reviews to be very harsh on the NX. Other than personal things that I was use to, it is a fine, great looking ride, and I enjoyed many things about it. Whether NX or RX, or any other Lexus, they are all hard to beat when it comes to the reliability that Lexus offers, and the customer service which to me is one of the most important two things when buying a car. And while many don't like the massive fronts of many in the new line up, Lexus is making a difference to make them stand apart more than ever from the other guys, and that wasn't a reason for me to switch.
I wanted to share my thoughts because I enjoyed the NX, and it is a great ride, and the negative reviews about it I don't go along with in most cases. We just get use to certain things, and sometimes what becomes more important to one, is not so much to another. Since I got the RX, I am very happy with my new ride, and it is more of what I'm use to, but I still come over to the NX post as well, because you guys got me started with Lexus as I came from many Toyotas. I enjoy reading and seeing all the new pics of them. Enjoy !

Quick Reply: NX vs. Current RX