NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 03:35 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!

Hey everyone I know this probably has been talked about but the torque steer on my F sport is really bad I have to constantly pull the steering wheel to the left almost every time I accelerate and keep my foot on the Pedal. This really bothers me for a car that I paid upwards of $50,000 for and another thing that's really bad on the f sport seats, in the beginning I guess I was getting used to them but now they're actually starting to bother me I find that the left part of the Seat trim that is actually hard is constantly digging into my bottom of my left leg thigh and it's really becoming something that I actually hate getting into the car every day because I know it's going to hurt, the only way it doesn't hurt is if I sit with both legs closed which I can't do for obvious reasons. I'm actually considering writing to Lexus and seeing what they say any ideas opinions?

Last edited by Dunhill421; 08-12-15 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 04:03 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

torque steer is the nature of a FWD vehicle with one axle longer than another. It's simple physics, especially with the torque that the NX outputs
Old 08-12-15, 04:12 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's not a sports car either. Torque steer is worse when accelerating like mad from a dead stop. The NX is actually quite composed when accelerating from a rolling start, as in merging on the highway, squeezing in front of another car or rolling to a red light before it turns green.

BTW, this has nothing to do with price, as stated, this is physics at work and no amount of technology can eliminate this without neutering the feel of the car.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-12-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 04:12 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Hey everyone I know this probably has been talked about but the torque steer on my F sport is really bad I have to constantly pull the steering wheel to the left almost every time I accelerate and keep my foot on the Pedal. This really bothers me for a car that I paid upwards of $50,000 for and another thing that's really bad on the f sport seats, in the beginning I guess I was getting used to them but now they're actually starting to bother me I find that the left part of the Seat trim that is actually hard is constantly digging into my bottom of my left leg thigh and it's really becoming something that I actually hate getting into the car every day because I know it's going to hurt, the only way it doesn't hurt is if I sit with both legs closed which I can't do for obvious reasons. I'm actually considering writing to Lexus and seeing what they say any ideas opinions?
Totally agree with the torque steer issues. Found this during a test drive of the 200t. The torque steer was a real worry particularly accelerating lightly around gentle corners. I think it was the setting at s+. I will try another test drive with the normal setting.
Old 08-12-15, 04:31 PM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree i chirped the front wheels pulling out of a parking lot today. Also agree with the seats. I'm only 170 lbs and the bottom left bolster constantly digs into my hip. I can't keep my phone in that pocket.
Old 08-12-15, 04:31 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So much silly in the OP's post....I'm gonna have to pass on this thread ...

I was unaware there was a torque steer to price ratio lol.
Old 08-12-15, 05:10 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
So much silly in the OP's post....I'm gonna have to pass on this thread ...

I was unaware there was a torque steer to price ratio lol.
I was going to post lol, but that's not cool anymore. Oh wait, "cool" is not cool either. Ha ha
Old 08-12-15, 05:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Dunhill421, my NX is AWD so I can't really comment other than very little torque steer with the AWD model. Also, I don't believe anyone else who has the FWD NX has posted it to be an issue as I believe it's about expectations. I've owned a few torquey FWD vehicles such as the Venza V6 and Talon TSI and both had significant torque steer. ES350 loaners I've had also has some moderate torque steer. I hope you're able to manage this expectation moving forward.

As for the F Sport seats, there's a dedicated thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...fort-poll.html
Old 08-12-15, 05:50 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

@CorradoMR2 The AWD NX is 100% FWD unless it looses traction, and only then would it transfer power to the rear wheels. Torque steer will be felt well before that happens, and front tire chirp just as it happens. I bet this is a combination of too much tire pressure combined with lead foot take off.
Old 08-12-15, 05:53 PM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do find the torque steer annoying, especially considering electric power steering which can be controlled to virtually eliminate it, and a moderately powered vehicle. AWD should eliminate it unless the AWD system sends all power to the front unless there is slippage. My last car was a Subaru which was a mechanical AWD system. 50/50 split and even with 300 hp there no no hint of torque steer
Old 08-12-15, 06:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@CorradoMR2 The AWD NX is 100% FWD unless it looses traction, and only then would it transfer power to the rear wheels. Torque steer will be felt well before that happens, and front tire chirp just as it happens. I bet this is a combination of too much tire pressure combined with lead foot take off.
Indeed this is how the NX AWD works and transfers up to 50% to the rear reactively upon fwd slippage, however the fact that little torque steer is felt on full throttle launch tells me some part of the power is transferred to the rear despite the lack of slippage. You can see here in my video how straight and well-composed the steering is, despite the powerful brake-torque launch and one-hand holding the wheel.

Old 08-12-15, 06:36 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

^^ manual launch mode in sports+ setting? if so, I wonder if the AVS is helping to keep the driving wheels more firmly planted than the models that don't have AVS. Mine is the F-Sport Series 1 so it doesn't have AVS, but yet, while I do feel the torque steer, I know what to expect and how to handle it to my advantage.
Old 08-12-15, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by My0gr81
^^ manual launch mode in sports+ setting? if so, I wonder if the AVS is helping to keep the driving wheels more firmly planted than the models that don't have AVS. Mine is the F-Sport Series 1 so it doesn't have AVS, but yet, while I do feel the torque steer, I know what to expect and how to handle it to my advantage.
That's an interesting correlation. AVS does adjust damping force automatically and could be helping in keeping the NX straight in this condition.

Any other AWD owners with AVS and non-AVS owners with feedback? We seem to have discovered something here.
Old 08-12-15, 06:58 PM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

I had thought it was my imagination, but I notice most when accelerating out of a left turn.
Old 08-12-15, 07:08 PM
phatm3
Driver

I think torque steer is expected in every front wheel drive car

Quick Reply: Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!