NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 01:13 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have AVS, but I do have AWD. My wife has noticed no torque steer and I have noticed it only once. I pulled out of a side street turning to the right onto the main highway and hit the gas much harder than normal to check for torque steer. I felt it wanting to keep the car turning right, but it was not bad. I've felt much worse on other cars. I've not tried it on a left turn yet.
Old 08-22-15, 02:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by optokki
Really? Torque steer is related to axle and differential design/calibration rather than suspension settings. I wouldn't expect an AVS equipped NX to torque steer less. Have you done an experiment of some sort to make this claim or just kind of "seat of the pants" testing?
Optokki, you've obviously misinterpreted my post where I state it's a summary of observations from owner posts in this thread. Please re-read this thread in particular this post to avoid any further unnecessary debate.

I hope to see more owners posting their experience to see if there remains any correlation between AVS/AWD/FWD and torque steer.
Old 08-22-15, 04:34 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Optokki, you've obviously misinterpreted my post where I state it's a summary of observations from owner posts in this thread. Please re-read this thread in particular this post to avoid any further unnecessary debate.

I hope to see more owners posting their experience to see if there remains any correlation between AVS/AWD/FWD and torque steer.
All I was asking you is if you had a chance to actually put cars back to back to see the differences. Everyone drives their cars differently and have different sensitivities to handling behaviour so really the only "unnecessary" part of this is your poorly sampled observations list.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-25-15 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Removed baiting statement addressed to all forum members.
Old 08-25-15, 10:02 AM
ronslexus
Driver

Default torque steer and seat

I get what you are all talking about. I was ready to buy the F sport NX and I could not deal with the bolsters on the seats. ended up with the non F sport and love it. Seats are very comfortable.

On the torque steer. I had a Nissan Murano and 2012 Nissan Rogue and neither of them had any torque steer at all.

I don't know why Lexus put this car out with the amount of torque steer, especially when making a turn under acceleration.

Otherwise I love the NX and have dealt with it.
Old 08-25-15, 03:24 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by optokki
All I was asking you is if you had a chance to actually put cars back to back to see the differences. Everyone drives their cars differently and have different sensitivities to handling behaviour so really the only "unnecessary" part of this is your poorly sampled observations list.
This an enthusiast's forum not a car magazine or testing outfit's forum. What do you think, corradoMR2 has a few NX of different kinds available to do a side by side testing?
Old 12-09-15, 02:02 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while and just checked back in. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is dealing with this. Now some of you who say you don't really feel the torque steer I'm wondering if it's just some cars more than others. Also what I think is everyone should post what tires they have on their NX because it comes with two different tires that I am aware of and maybe there is some correlation between tires and the amount of torque steer one might feel.

Just want to say I have had many front wheel drive cars (acuras, Hondas, nissans) and never experienced the torque steer I have with my NX.

Also if you notice the guy in the video at 4:22 states that the torque steer is a COMMON problem in fwd crossovers!

Anyway thanks for everyone's input.

Just to start the tires comparison my NX has the Michelin primacys mxm4.....
Old 12-09-15, 03:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The main culprit causing torque steer in all FWD vehicles and the NX in particular is 258 lb ft of torque available at a low 1650 rpm's. A blessing and a curse if the turbo engine.
Old 12-09-15, 04:02 PM
Jmmyewayn
Driver School Candidate

There is def noticeable torque steer. I have a f sport AWD and can replicate it every time under acceleration. I came from an Audi Quattro for 5 years I didn't notice what I experience in the NX once...with that said. It doesn't bother me at all. It's a suburban cruiser who cares
Old 12-09-15, 06:41 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmmyewayn
There is def noticeable torque steer. I have a f sport AWD and can replicate it every time under acceleration. I came from an Audi Quattro for 5 years I didn't notice what I experience in the NX once...with that said. It doesn't bother me at all. It's a suburban cruiser who cares
That's because the Lexus AWD system is front biased, while the Audi Quattro is rear biased. I haven't driven an AWD NX, but the FWD loaner I had had really annoying torque steer. You have to feather the throttle when turning from a stop. I've noticed this in other FWD cars with turbo-4s or larger engines though, so not just a Lexus problem.
Old 12-10-15, 04:36 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

I don;t find the torque steer much of an issue, after all the NX is "sport" more in style then performance. The only thing I can say is that with electronic steering there is no reason torque steer could not be masked as other brands do it.
Old 12-10-15, 09:02 PM
jayy178
Rookie

The F-Sport seats are bolstered sport seats so it should be expected to have a very snug fit when you buy that trim. These seats are very comparable to my BMW sport seats.
Old 12-10-15, 11:29 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@CorradoMR2 The AWD NX is 100% FWD unless it looses traction, and only then would it transfer power to the rear wheels. Torque steer will be felt well before that happens, and front tire chirp just as it happens. I bet this is a combination of too much tire pressure combined with lead foot take off.
Are you absolutely sure? I could have sworn my dealer told me it was similar to the Atessa AWD system in the Infiniti I traded in. The AWD will engage until about 12-20mph (not entirely sure) during initial acceleration, and then switch to FWD if it's not detecting a slip. That's why it has the 4x4 lock button for up to 30mph I believe...
Old 12-13-15, 03:28 PM
chandlervt
Driver

I have the base version and not F-sport - so can't comment on F-sport seats but the base version seats are extremely comfortable. If you want to know what is uncomfortable, drive Subaru forester XT. I paid the same price as an Forester XT and only thing I lost out on was - A) AWD - dont need in texas B) homelink garage door opener (I am going to fix that by replacing the stock mirror with Gentex)

They are so comfortable, my wife keeps comparing every car we drive to these seats. So when it came to buying a car for me, we test drove so many cars - and only thing she was comfortable in were RX350. So even though i didnt want to buy another Lexus , I ended up getting RX350. Now even in RX350 - I find the outgoing generation seats more comfortable than the new ones. So we got the 2015 instead of 2016 (I like the looks interior - everything except those seats- of 2016 and I can't tell you how hard that decision was).
Old 12-23-15, 10:57 PM
Shatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an AWD and I notice CONSIDERABLE torque steer
Old 12-24-15, 02:44 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Shatty
I have an AWD and I notice CONSIDERABLE torque steer
According to the manual the centre diff is locked when the car accelerates from stand still. This is to prevent wheel spin especially in wet conditions. The centre diff disengages at ~ 30 kms hour.
At work the driveway exits onto a road with a tight radius curve. Torque steer hits not as you exit the driveway but as you accelerate through the curve.
If you don't get off the throttle the stability control kicks in and cuts the engine power.
Pretty messy but then it's an SUV.
An is350 will handle the same situation with a bit of tail out attitude that's fixed with a touch more throttle.
Great fun.

Quick Reply: Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!