NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 01:15 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing much to say other than you bought the wrong car my friend
Old 08-13-15, 04:11 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that I've had a moment to put a little of the sarcasm away... OP...here is your honesty

1. You bought a front wheel drive bias car. I don't care if you bought AWD, its 70/30 bias to the front 90% of the time. More if you're in a warm climate. Sorry to break it to you, but FWD cars torque steer. The more hp, and worse front suspension geometry, the worse it gets. Nothing is going to change that. The price you paid has nothing to do with this, and as I mentioned before, not sure why it would. Your car is going to torque steer in just the same manner as a $10k Kia. The fix you ask? Well, gradual foot placement and then push harder and harder. You have to produce an equal rolling speed between sides so the diff can apply power equally.

2. I am 5'11 220lbs, and I am comfortable in these seats. So I'm am yet to understand how everyone is uncomfortable. Have you not sat in a sport seat before buying this car? Sat in a recaro perhaps? These seats are quite wide compared to recaros.

Finally, Lexus shouldn't do anything for you to be honest. FWD doing what FWD does is not their problem, and the seat is a mass produced seat. They aren't going to replace it because you're uncomfortable.

Honestly, not sure how long you've had it, but I'd consider returning it or trading it in.
Old 08-13-15, 04:46 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your input.
My reference in price was just stating that it's a lot of money for something that could have been designed better. Like the IS which is rear wheel all the time then adds the front when needed.

The seats are not the most comfortable. When you test drive the car you tell yourself I'm not used to it because it's different. And that in time you get used to it.
All I'm saying as with other people is that it's been over a month now and I'm not getting used to it.
In fact it's worse because it's constantly annoying having to shift my leg to try and get comfortable.

I watched a video on the poster who shows his steering wheel and it doesn't look bad.
I'm thinking maybe my alignment and or tires are causing it to be worse than others.
I will take a video and post here so you can see.

Thanks everyone who understands and wasn't mean about it.
Old 08-13-15, 05:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Your statement about the IS is not true. My wife has a '15 IS350, and the car is 30/70 bias to the rear. It is never rear wheel only.

As for the seat, yes, that's something that takes a bit to get used to that a test drive won't provide. However, if you feel very uncomfortable in a seat on a test drive, you probably won't ever be comfortable in the long term.

For example. My wife's IS, the seats are tighter (width wise) than the NX. I knew that when I sat in it in a test drive. While I have adjusted, its never been a great seat for me, and I'm glad that its not my DD.

Same is true of the RC-F. I felt incredibly comfortable in its seats and the long term would be great. Its probably the one outstanding feature of the car that I loved. Now on the other hand, the GT-R seats aren't the greatest, but its within tolerance of adjustment over time to be comfortable.
Old 08-13-15, 06:28 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS is a RWD chassis with AWD assist biased for 30% front and 70% rear at all times and up to 50/50 to compensate for loss of traction.

The NX is a FWD chassis with AWD assist biased for 100% front at all time and up to 50/50 to compensate for loss of traction.

One can buy an IS RWD only, and one can buy an NX FWD only (in some markets, but not Canada) but one cannot buy an IS FWD or an NX RWD in any markets.

For those that claim that Lexus could have reduced the effect of torque steer by adjusting the electronic steering, they could have, but then, it would neuter the feel of the steering. Frankly, it is safer to feel and adjust torque steer by easing off on the throttle than to have an electronic nanny mask it and let the driver continue his/her madness.
Old 08-13-15, 06:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The IS is a RWD chassis with AWD assist biased for 30% front and 70% rear at all times and up to 50/50 to compensate for loss of traction.

The NX is a FWD chassis with AWD assist biased for 100% front at all time and up to 50/50 to compensate for loss of traction.

One can buy an IS RWD only, and one can buy an NX FWD only (in some markets, but not Canada) but one cannot buy an IS FWD or an NX RWD in any markets.

For those that claim that Lexus could have reduced the effect of torque steer by adjusting the electronic steering, they could have, but then, it would neuter the feel of the steering. Frankly, it is safer to feel and adjust torque steer by easing off on the throttle than to have an electronic nanny mask it and let the driver continue his/her madness.
This is the key. it might require a slight change in driving style (mainly from a stop or very low speeds). Once you get a better feel of the cars tendencies, it shouldn't be a big deal at all.
Old 08-13-15, 09:23 AM
gobyli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
That's an interesting correlation. AVS does adjust damping force automatically and could be helping in keeping the NX straight in this condition.

Any other AWD owners with AVS and non-AVS owners with feedback? We seem to have discovered something here.
AWD w/ AVS here
not sure if it has anything to do with the AVS or just the electric-powered steering doing some correction, I've always felt a very noticeable stiffening on my steering that's apparently trying to fight the torque steer when I accelerate hard in S+ mode
Old 08-13-15, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
For example. My wife's IS, the seats are tighter (width wise) than the NX. I knew that when I sat in it in a test drive. While I have adjusted, its never been a great seat for me, and I'm glad that its not my DD.
My understanding is that the NX seats are narrower than the IS seats, not the other way around.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...fort-poll.html

The superbly crafted and "fit-like-a-glove" NX F Sport seats seem to have been taken from the IS F Sport's. However, upon close inspection, there are differences. And it is these subtle differences that can account for the differences in comfort for those who own or have experienced both vehicles.

For one, the seat width between the bolsters is 1 inch narrower than the IS's.

Next, the accelerator pedal is placed further to the right on the NX which causes the driver to naturally lean the leg more to the right against the bolster.

In short, we can see the NX F Sport seats are a tighter fit and along with the firm bolsters and accelerator pedal placement, which combined, can explain why some owners have had some discomfort concerns.

As NX F Sport owners, how do the bolsters affect your seating comfort?
Old 08-13-15, 11:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
My understanding is that the NX seats are narrower than the IS seats, not the other way around.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...fort-poll.html
hmmm I wonder if the overall seat is bigger? Either way, I'm much more comfortable in the NX.
Old 08-17-15, 06:01 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to chime in here.

I feel I'm missing something. Yesterday, from a standing start at a traffic light, I made sure I pointed the car in the right direction, floored it and took my hands off the wheel, just to see what would happen. (of course my hands were hovering over the wheel in case something unexpected happens).

What I found was that the car shoots forward under full acceleration in a straight line unless it hits slight bumps and dips in the road. If the road was super smooth, I could go on accelerating in a straight line without touching the wheel.

So I don't get what this torque steer thing is all about. There was no constant pull to one side as people here are describing...
Old 08-21-15, 11:35 PM
Onion
Driver

it is also mentioned here @ 4:22
Old 08-22-15, 05:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Just to chime in here.

I feel I'm missing something. Yesterday, from a standing start at a traffic light, I made sure I pointed the car in the right direction, floored it and took my hands off the wheel, just to see what would happen. (of course my hands were hovering over the wheel in case something unexpected happens).

What I found was that the car shoots forward under full acceleration in a straight line unless it hits slight bumps and dips in the road. If the road was super smooth, I could go on accelerating in a straight line without touching the wheel.

So I don't get what this torque steer thing is all about. There was no constant pull to one side as people here are describing...

I believe you have AVS? Which like on my car, seems to be the best adapted (no pun intended) to manage suspension damping forces to help counteract the torque steer.

Originally Posted by Onion
So he's test driving the FWD model so no surprises. As an aside, he mentions the head lights are HIDs (they're not - they're LEDs, though he's not the first reviewer to get this wrong). He also mentions "genuine aluminum trim" on the interior, which is also an error as the F Sport silver trim on the dash/door panels is all plastic, albeit of high quality.

SUMMARY from our observations so far:

AVS-equipped models - little to no torque steer.
AWD models - some torque steer
FWD models - most noticeable torque steer.
Old 08-22-15, 12:07 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Really? Torque steer is related to axle and differential design/calibration rather than suspension settings. I wouldn't expect an AVS equipped NX to torque steer less. Have you done an experiment of some sort to make this claim or just kind of "seat of the pants" testing?
Old 08-22-15, 01:12 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review. Thanks for posting. Overall, Sam clearly liked the two NXs.
Old 08-22-15, 01:12 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe you have AVS? Which like on my car, seems to be the best adapted (no pun intended) to manage suspension damping forces to help counteract the torque steer.

So he's test driving the FWD model so no surprises. As an aside, he mentions the head lights are HIDs (they're not - they're LEDs, though he's not the first reviewer to get this wrong). He also mentions "genuine aluminum trim" on the interior, which is also an error as the F Sport silver trim on the dash/door panels is all plastic, albeit of high quality.

AWD models - some torque steer
FWD models - most noticeable torque steer.
Test drove the NX again today but this time tried the fsport and non fsport variant in different drive settings.
The non fsport was buttery smooth on take off as long as it wasn't put into s• mode. No wheel spin or torque steer and compliant ride. The kids loved it in the back. In general a great car.
The fsport unfortunately was not a comfortable car.I have to agree with the guy from the savage geese review on you tube.. Hard foam in the seats, even the kids complained about the hardness of the seats in the back. Uncomfortable bolsters in the front seats. I'm 190 pounds and walked away with a sore thigh. The unique sports suspension is rock hard. A lot of wheel spin and torque steer in all but Eco mode. I wonder if it's the lower profile and slightly wider tyres. Good for cornering but less weight per square inch for standing starts.
The problem is that the fsport is an amazing looking car which I think will be looked back on as a real classic of design. The nonfsports look like grandpa's Maxda CX 5.
So.......Grandpas buttery smooth and comfortable car or hot looking compromised boy racer?
If the upcoming 2016 model can blend a fsports front grill with decent seats and suspension then the Lexus may be able to fend off the upcoming GLC.

Quick Reply: Horrible torque steer and even worse fsport seat!!