NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Extremely flimsy sheet metal?

Old 08-04-15, 09:49 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely flimsy sheet metal?

Hey guys, I just noticed today washing my car that the panels on this car are very flexible and easily pushed in in many place on the body. The worst being the hood and the front doors. They will actually bend and push in even while applying the amount of pressure you would use for drying the car with a microfibre. Of course, it always snaps back into shape but I just found it a little odd. Anyone else felt the same?
Old 08-04-15, 11:59 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried pushing in the panels but my previous car, 2012 camry, had the same flex in the panels.

Compare that to the previous generation, 2007 camry, that car had thick metal panels.

it's all to save weight.
Old 08-05-15, 05:04 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by optokki
Hey guys, I just noticed today washing my car that the panels on this car are very flexible and easily pushed in in many place on the body. The worst being the hood and the front doors. They will actually bend and push in even while applying the amount of pressure you would use for drying the car with a microfibre. Of course, it always snaps back into shape but I just found it a little odd. Anyone else felt the same?
Yes, I have noticed the same thing, and I don't think it's good either. The roof is also very bad as well. I am not impressed with the metal or the paint on this car. While it's to help with weight, I think it is very cheap for this price car, and small hail would do a number on it ! As we have a Subaru Outback, it is rock solid. The German cars have this beat ! I was in a Mercedes lot this past weekend, and was looking at a GLK, and it is rock solid as well.
Old 08-05-15, 05:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just the further extent of global economy an "built by the cheapest bidder".

Hoods and other pieces of the car have begun to get thinner and thinner for various reasons. Those include:
1. Cost - thinner metal is cheaper
2. Weight - thinnr metal is lighter
3. Crash Safety Ratings - During a crash, the hood will collapse and be destroyed, the frame is the only real concern. So why put any strength or money into something that will just bend and be destroyed quickly?

With that said. The hood on my genesis coupe was this way, so is the NX and IS. My Camaro is thicker metal, but lets also keep in mind that the "coupe" is 4000lbs.

As for the paint, that's another story, Japanese paint has historically been weak, so gotta clear bra that stuff early.
Old 08-05-15, 05:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A lot of of cars have aluminum hoods, liftgates ,trunk lids etc. to save weight. It's noticeably thinner and flexible.
Old 08-05-15, 05:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Never felt the sheet metal was unusually thin and I've washed it several times and sealed it once. I agree the hood is thin (but due to its aluminum), but the worst offender to me is the never-experienced-in-any-car cheap creaking plastic exterior mirrors.
Old 08-05-15, 11:16 AM
mwl7698
Driver

My first concern was the rear of the roof panel around the antenna "fin". It easly pushes in with just a finger press. I noticed it just prior to having my roof wrapped and had to advise the shop to be very careful in that area when applying the vinyl. The roof on my IS would give a bit under pressure when waxing but not nearly as severe as the NX does.
Old 08-05-15, 06:20 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mwl7698
My first concern was the rear of the roof panel around the antenna "fin". It easly pushes in with just a finger press. I noticed it just prior to having my roof wrapped and had to advise the shop to be very careful in that area when applying the vinyl. The roof on my IS would give a bit under pressure when waxing but not nearly as severe as the NX does.
Strange, there is mention of an antenna "fin".

My roof is completely flat. And so is every other NX in Malaysia.
Looking at online pictures, yeah, I can see that NXs in some other countries are equipped with the fin type antenna. I wonder why the inconsistency....
Old 08-05-15, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Strange, there is mention of an antenna "fin".

My roof is completely flat. And so is every other NX in Malaysia.
Looking at online pictures, yeah, I can see that NXs in some other countries are equipped with the fin type antenna. I wonder why the inconsistency....
Do you have Satellite radio?
Old 08-05-15, 06:40 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, and I thought it was just me and my imagination.
Old 08-05-15, 07:20 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Glad I'm not the only one haha. Even my 07 IS250 felt more solid. I guess time will tell if this sheet metal is truly up to the task. This car's too beautiful to be damaged
Old 08-06-15, 08:57 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The hood is especially thin to ensure it isn't fatal for any pedestrians - thats the main reason for it although it does lead to secondary advantages eg weight, cost
Old 08-06-15, 02:14 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
The hood is especially thin to ensure it isn't fatal for any pedestrians - thats the main reason for it although it does lead to secondary advantages eg weight, cost
I think its the other way around to be honest. Cost > Safety. Played out to make it seem like its safety first. If that was really the case, it would be just on the hood but its everywhere on the car.
Old 08-06-15, 05:33 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Do you have Satellite radio?
Nope.
But the option I really really do wish we had was the adaptive cruise control....

And that sexy HUD...
Old 08-06-15, 08:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't own a NX but have a interest in considering it when the time is due for replacing our RX.

Out of curiosity, I went to the dealership and checked the NX out again. I only tried to push the hood, front doors and the roof around the antenna. Not a good idea to push the car extensively in a showroom...

Honestly, I find the front doors are not as flimsy as reported. Yes, it is a tad flexible than say, the front doors of 3IS. Ditto for the hood. But it is not a concern. I guess the metal for the door is made to be thinner than usual in order to create creases for the unique shape of the doors.

The only area on the roof around the antenna fin is the only area which I find it too flexible to my liking. As experienced by another fellow member, mwl7698, you can literally use a finger to make the area flex. I would concern how it stands to hail damage...

With regards to the amount of pressure when drying the car with a micro fibre, no offence but you really have applied too much pressure. It would mar the car if you have missed a spot when washing or if the micro fibre cloth is not of the greatest quality. Put some quality was/sealant/coating and you shouldn't need to dry a car with that amount of pressure.

Last edited by AndyL; 08-06-15 at 09:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extremely flimsy sheet metal?