NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX random brakes under mild acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 07:39 PM
Jmmyewayn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX random brakes under mild acceleration

My car is doing something weird where it will randomly brake on it's own and display a warning on the dash. The yellow warning sign will also flash when it is happening. The display reads "Accelerator and brake pedal depressed simultaneously." It feels like when the cruise control is on and you're going downhill the car will brake to match speed. It seems to do it more when the car is downshifting. Has anyone seen this problem from other Toyota/Lexus product? I've made sure my foot is not on the brake pedal and made sure nothing is caught underneath either of the pedals.

Old 08-02-15, 11:49 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmmyewayn
My car is doing something weird where it will randomly brake on it's own and display a warning on the dash. The yellow warning sign will also flash when it is happening. The display reads "Accelerator and brake pedal depressed simultaneously." It feels like when the cruise control is on and you're going downhill the car will brake to match speed. It seems to do it more when the car is downshifting. Has anyone seen this problem from other Toyota/Lexus product? I've made sure my foot is not on the brake pedal and made sure nothing is caught underneath either of the pedals.
Sorry, never heard of it. Best to get it looked at by your dealer ASAP.
Old 08-03-15, 03:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You probably have an over sensitive contact on the brake pedal.

I'd just take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Nothing we say is going to be able to solve this for you.
Old 10-16-15, 11:34 AM
nwells7901
Driver School Candidate

Default My car just did the same thing. Did you get it fixed by the dealer?

I am taking mine in ASAP to be looked at by the service department. Please let me know if you got the issue fixed.
Old 10-16-15, 12:17 PM
Jmmyewayn
Driver School Candidate

Yup. Took it into the dealer with 700 miles on it, it had something to do with the brake pedal being too sensitive. They adjusted it and I'm now at 4000 miles and no problems.
Old 11-12-18, 03:16 PM
gracetrip
Driver School Candidate

Angry 2005 NX 200T F sport

Yup. Took it into the dealer with 700 miles on it, it had something to do with the brake pedal being too sensitive. They adjusted it and I'm now at 4000 miles and no problems.
Jimmyewayn, my car was purchase in July 2015 and has now 8500 miles on it. I did not have any problems till about 5 weeks ago. I have been experiencing the same problem as you have. After I make a left or a right turn and traveled about 100 yards or so, the indicator would light up and the car will slow down to almost a stop, though my foot is lightly on the accelerator. It is scary when another car is following me and probably the driver cannot understand why I slowed down to almost a stop. DO YOU have anymore problem after the brake adjustment? Thanks.

Last edited by gracetrip; 11-12-18 at 03:20 PM. Reason: I failed to type "Do you"
Old 11-12-18, 04:34 PM
Jmmyewayn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gracetrip
Jimmyewayn, my car was purchase in July 2015 and has now 8500 miles on it. I did not have any problems till about 5 weeks ago. I have been experiencing the same problem as you have. After I make a left or a right turn and traveled about 100 yards or so, the indicator would light up and the car will slow down to almost a stop, though my foot is lightly on the accelerator. It is scary when another car is following me and probably the driver cannot understand why I slowed down to almost a stop. DO YOU have anymore problem after the brake adjustment? Thanks.
No, just happens that I was doing the 60,000 mile oil change tonight! Been going strong ever since although at my last tire rotation at costco they mentioned that my tires seem to have signs of cupping in the rear. We bought our cars weeks apart, can't believe you only have 8,500 miles on it! It's brand new! I would take it into the dealer and have them adjust the brake sensitivity.

I do want to mention that sometimes when I turn left at low speeds it seems to shake my steering wheel a little bit as if it was doing lane keep assist...but I do not have that option on 2015 model. It seem to only happen when it's really cold out, we'll see if it comes back this winter but that maybe related to what you're saying.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-13-18, 02:05 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Not really helpful but I shall never use cruise control on mine going downhill. After several tries, no more. Car goes nuts. It starts jerking back and for, braking down then accelerating... I have never had any make or Toyota doing this...
Old 11-14-18, 09:40 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Not really helpful but I shall never use cruise control on mine going downhill. After several tries, no more. Car goes nuts. It starts jerking back and for, braking down then accelerating... I have never had any make or Toyota doing this...
You should take yours to the dealer, our NX does not do this at all and I use the cruise control a lot. It doesn’t hold the speed well going downhill, but no jerking or erratic braking.
Old 11-14-18, 02:08 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I might. Mine is hell of annoying going downhill with cruise on. I might even shoot a video of that. It's pretty bad.
Old 07-18-19, 05:56 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your NX has the "Brake Hold System"? I am new to NX and especially this feature, was made aware during the delivery about this feature, which seems confusing and I never use it. See Owner's Manual p. 207, as also attached.

If true, you can always disable this "button" on the console?

It may have something to do with it, and if so, hopefully someone can chip in?

Last edited by 16fsport2; 07-18-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 06:57 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
Does your NX has the "Brake Hold System"? I am new to NX and especially this feature, was made aware during the delivery about this feature, which seems confusing and I never use it. See Owner's Manual p. 207, as also attached.

If true, you can always disable this "button" on the console?

It may have something to do with it, and if so, hopefully someone can chip in?

My wife has this on her 2018'. We've never experienced what the OP is saying about both pedals being pushed simultaneously. As that seems like a different (problem) than the warning message that the brake hold feature displays in the cluster. The brake hold feature enables you to be at a stop light or stop and go traffic and press the brake pedal down and it holds the car so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake.

After a set amount of time (I've never timed it, but it's within a few minutes), the cluster will alert you to depress the brake pedal so it knows to keep it applied. I assume this is so that it doesn't keep the brakes applied and or worse yet have the driver forget they turned this feature on and just get out of the car.

*I will also note that with cruise control set when we went to visit my mom in Pittsburgh, I only touched the brake pedal 3 times. The entire 4 hour trip we were cruising up/down hills, came to complete stops and the vehicle did all this. Zero interaction or zero problems with the car going nuts. I would highly suggest taking it to the dealer as this not only doesn't sound right, it can't be safe. Somewhere a sensor or setting is out of wack...
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 07-30-19 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 11:47 AM
jonnyyaa
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really helpful but I shall never use cruisecontrol on mine going downhill. After several tries, no more. Car goes nuts. It starts jerking back and for, braking down then accelerating... I have never had any make or Toyota doing this...

hi - Mine does this too - did u ever get it fixed or find a solution?
Old 07-30-19, 11:45 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyyaa
Not really helpful but I shall never use cruisecontrol on mine going downhill. After several tries, no more. Car goes nuts. It starts jerking back and for, braking down then accelerating... I have never had any make or Toyota doing this...

hi - Mine does this too - did u ever get it fixed or find a solution?
I don't have that behavior att all with my NX. I'd get it checked if I was you.