NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

CR Sep 2015 NX Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 01:56 AM
bikerida
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR Sep 2015 NX Review

The September 2015 issue of Consumer Reports presented a somewhat conflicting and confusing review of the new Lexus NX which at times contradicted the initial “first look” reported in the December 2014 issue and overall seemed unfair in nature.
For example, in the Initial Impressions, the reviewer reported: “The NX isn’t just a gussied-up Toyota RAV4. The NX is based on a modified version of the highly popular RAV4 SUV but the models diverge on equipment, styles and utility.” However, the review in the September 2015 issue documented “It just feels like an upmarket RAV4.”
Another example: In the Initial Impressions, the reviewer reported: “Most NX buyers will probably be willing to forgo some space for it’s stylish exterior, snazzy interior and the luxurious ownership experience. The NX is noticeably upscale, with the tight cabin festooned with padded surfaces accented with stitching and stylish gauges”. In comparison, the September 2015 issue reviewer wrote: “Inside the cabin, the NX once again falls short of Lexus standards. You’re not cosseted with parlor-room luxury. Many parts and panels look and feel cheap…”
Finally, in the CR’s Take in the “First Look” review, the reviewer referred to the NX as “stylish and well trimmed”. In constrast, the reviewer in the September 2015 report appeared to poke fun at the NX, referring to a “snout borrowed from a large mouth bass and a body with more creases than a churro pastry”.
In the September 2015 review of the NX, the reviewer at times used unclear terms in reference to the NX. For example, the reviewer made reference to “vanilla –mobiles”; “derring-do performance”; a ride as “firm and controlled as an IRS audit” (now really—not everyone has been through an IRS audit—what the heck does that mean????). The reviewer should have defined these terms for clarity.
In reference to the NX Hybrid, the reviewer in the September 2015 issue derided the NX 300h based on the comment “The 300h Hybrid is underwhelming when you need to accelerate; the engine annoyingly howls like four year old denied a juice box”. The reviewer clarified that this was due to the nature of it’s continuously variable transmission. However, it was unclear whether this is a characteristic of hybrid CVT engines. Since the 300h is a hybrid, it would have been better to compare it’s performance with other similar hybrids—for example, how did the 300h compare to it’s big brother, the RX hybrid? How did the NX 300h compare to the Audi Q5 hybrid?
Finally, the Reviewer in the September 2015 reported the NX is “saddled “ with a new touchpad controller and the user interface “requires dexterious fingers to make selections—not easy or intuitive while driving”. The Reviewer did not appear to have discovered the full benefits of the NX’s voice control system which works extremely well, eliminating the need to use the touchpad controller. The voice command system not only easily makes phone calls, but controls the climate system, navigation, changes music sources, playlists and radio stations; and reads incoming emails and text messages.
As the owner of an NX, and after approximately 4000 miles, I have determined it is much more sophisticated, refined and more quiet than the highest trim level available in the RAV4, which I test drove before considering the NX. As far as being a less cushy ride than the RX—I know nothing about that—the RX seemed to be marketed towards an older buyer, where are the NX, with it’s bolder styling appears targeted to younger buyers.
I have found my NX to be quiet and yes--I do hear a little bit of engine noise during a hard acceleration--otherwise it is very quiet inside and I have had no problem with fast acceleration or uphill driving, even with the AC on.
Anyway--check out the full article in CR's Sept 2015 issue.--300H pearl Fire agate and yes, I DID finally put the invisible shield on my NX--headlights, approx. 20 inches up on the nose, back of mirrors, panel behind wheels and edge of all four doors--Bikerida
Old 08-02-15, 08:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

CR says after they buy a car to evaluate they test it at their track/facility and then keep the car in their fleet for evaluation in the real world. I think I read that other staffers take them home too. So it could be that their perceptions change after living with a car for an extended period. Often times the first impressions of a new model reflect what the manufacturer hopes to achieve and the image they want to project with a new model.

I enjoy reading a lot of reviews (including CR, C&D etc.), and taking test drives, when shopping for a new car, and then determining what is important to me and if something I'm interested in, checks the right boxes.
Old 08-02-15, 08:31 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

each magazine has their own perspective.

Car and Driver, Motortrend, and Road and Track tend to look at a car from the performance and handling perspective for the more aggressive driver. Consumer Reports tends to side more with the average person perspective who has no clue what power is in the engine. They in the past have looked deeply into reliability, safety, and comfort. Edmunds seems to be a mix of the 2.

As far as the interior styling they should compare it to the Acura RDX, BMW X3, Audi Q5 etc... I heard the Acura had some hard plastics to keep costs down.

As far as the infotainment system it seems the dial is the standard now so being different can hurt. The reviewer may be used to a dial so the pad may be awkward for them.
Old 08-02-15, 10:38 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, I thought the review was rather crummy myself, and once again car reviews just love to compare it to the Rav4.... I do enjoy my NX. I do feel Lexus could have made the interior a little better, not that it isn't good. I really dislike the plastic on the doors at the bottom, it scars very easy.....more so than any other car I've had, and the console and radio controls are a little on the cheap looking side. They could refine the ride a bit over rough surfaced roads. On the highway, it's an absolute joy to drive ,very quiet, but the Highlanders I had were much better on rough surface roads..of course, they were bigger which makes a difference. I will say the NX does ride better since I lowered the psi to 32.
We have several new 2015 Subaru Outbacks in the family, and all of them have a more refined ride on rough roads, and perform on the highway just as good as my NX. I was surprised, but it's true. Over all , I'm very pleased with the NX. A fun ride to drive..I hope Lexus will offer more standard equipment...that is where the competition is beating them. I regret not ordering and getting the auto lift gate and pre collision system. I miss both of those from my prior SUV. They really should be standard for this price on the NX. As far as looks, the NX is the most awesome of the competition IMO.

Last edited by RDLGX; 08-02-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 06:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I take these reviews with a grain of salt. It has the peace-of-mind Lexus reliability and show-stopper styling which is why I love it over all else that blends in this segment. The NX's sales speak for themselves.
Old 08-02-15, 08:14 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

The article was poorly written in my opinion. It clearly had a negative bias without elaborating on many opinions that created the negative tone to the article. The author spent a lot of effort on "clever" metaphors and glanced over the positive notes so that they were hard to pick up or even be observed as positive.

If doesn't sound like the same author as in the first look article.

Last edited by PR3D4K1NG; 08-02-15 at 08:16 PM. Reason: ...spelling
Old 08-03-15, 05:23 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I take these reviews with a grain of salt. It has the peace-of-mind Lexus reliability and show-stopper styling which is why I love it over all else that blends in this segment. The NX's sales speak for themselves.
So true ! Even with the few gripes I have with the NX, or things that I don't have on my NX, at the end of the day customer satisfaction and reliability are the most important. And as I look at other cars all the time, the NX still stands out among the crowd with it's beautiful looks !
Old 08-03-15, 10:20 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The reviewer clearly didn't like the NX and wrote what they thought was a "witty" review. Can't win them all.. What these so called "expert reviewers" say is irrelevant to me anyways. Is the NX perfect? No. There are issues but overall I am still very happy with it.
Old 08-03-15, 11:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw the CR article today and agree the reviewer was trying way too hard too be witty. Overall, the review wasn't bad. CR rates cars 0-100 points in their Road Tests. The 2.0t received 74 points and the Hybrid 71. I'm sure once they have reliability info from their Owner Surveys the NX will have the same stellar reliability as most Lexus'.
Old 08-03-15, 06:15 PM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw the CR article today and agree the reviewer was trying way too hard too be witty. Overall, the review wasn't bad. CR rates cars 0-100 points in their Road Tests. The 2.0t received 74 points and the Hybrid 71. I'm sure once they have reliability info from their Owner Surveys the NX will have the same stellar reliability as most Lexus'.
The reviewer at CR should stay on his day job as a writer and give up stand up comedy...oh wait, he sucks at his day job too
Old 08-14-15, 09:34 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, well. There are plenty of frumpy look-alike SUVs and CUVs with dull (and extra cost) color selections out there for snarky copywriters with overly pedestrian tastes.
Old 08-15-15, 08:41 AM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Oh, well. There are plenty of frumpy look-alike SUVs and CUVs with dull (and extra cost) color selections out there for snarky copywriters with overly pedestrian tastes.
LOL, you sir just won the internet!