NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Correct Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 09:07 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Plus, I didn't have TPMS sensors in the winter wheels. so 5 months of the year my check tire light was on.
So it doesn't cause any problems to run without TPMS on the winter wheels and snow tires?

I do this on my Acura and live with the light. Wasn't sure if this would cause more issues with the newer technology in the NX.
Old 07-22-15, 09:32 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
So it doesn't cause any problems to run without TPMS on the winter wheels and snow tires?

I do this on my Acura and live with the light. Wasn't sure if this would cause more issues with the newer technology in the NX.
Why would it? TPMS stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It's a nanny to remind and/or alert people to check the tire pressure because 95% of them don't. The more reliable and resistant to punctures, blow outs, or slow leaks at the beads tires get, the less people bother to check them.

For the NX, I haven't read anything where any of the other safety systems are affected by the absence of TPMS data. Traction, ABS and Stability controls operate independently and without TPMS data. It has to, since TPMS relies on internal sensor with inaccessible batteries and wireless connection. Any one of them can fail at any time.
Old 07-22-15, 10:11 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Why would it? TPMS stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It's a nanny to remind and/or alert people to check the tire pressure because 95% of them don't. The more reliable and resistant to punctures, blow outs, or slow leaks at the beads tires get, the less people bother to check them.

For the NX, I haven't read anything where any of the other safety systems are affected by the absence of TPMS data. Traction, ABS and Stability controls operate independently and without TPMS data. It has to, since TPMS relies on internal sensor with inaccessible batteries and wireless connection. Any one of them can fail at any time.
Thanks MyOgr.
Old 07-22-15, 03:05 PM
HappyUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does Lexus dealerships over inflate the tires?
Old 07-22-15, 05:56 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Oh no, that doesn't make any sense. At that speed, in hot weather, 41 psi (cold pressure) could hit 50-51 psi which is typically the max pressure a tire can handle and can blow out!

Please double check your manual and be safe!
The panel on the side of my door states 2.7bar if I plan on going more than 160kmh... That converts to 39.1 psi...

Hmmm....
Attached Thumbnails Correct Tire Pressure-20150723_084521.jpg  
Old 07-22-15, 06:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
The panel on the side of my door states 2.7bar if I plan on going more than 160kmh... That converts to 39.1 psi...

Hmmm....
Interesting. Can you check your max psi/kpa/bar stamped on your tire? In N.America tires are typically stamped " DOT approved" "for USA, Canada, Mexico only" and typically do not exceed 51 psi max.
Old 07-22-15, 11:37 PM
jimque
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm....
I think this makes sense since during high speeds deflection in the tire is increased. This is prevented by increasing the initial pressure of the tire.

The indicated pressure for going below 160ks is about 32psi which is on the door for US cars since we're not legally allowed to go above 160 (at least in WA )

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72
Old 07-23-15, 12:23 AM
legrunt
Pole Position

Interesting. Can you check your max psi/kpa/bar stamped on your tire? In N.America tires are typically stamped " DOT approved" "for USA, Canada, Mexico only" and typically do not exceed 51 psi max.
Well, the stamp on my tire sidewall reads max pressure 51psi, ... however, according to

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=196

the "max pressure" stated on tire sidewalls are maximum cold pressure, not absolute pressure.

Phew!
Attached Thumbnails Correct Tire Pressure-20150723_151540.jpg  
Old 07-23-15, 08:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, the stamp on my tire sidewall reads max pressure 51psi, ... however, according to

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=196

the "max pressure" stated on tire sidewalls are maximum cold pressure, not absolute pressure.

Phew!
Thanks for the find. So international standards seem to be the same on max tire pressures. Then you should be ok for 39 PSI so the sidewall is stiffer for more stable high-speed ride. But if you have a lot of city driving, consider an in between value of 35-36 to enjoy a more comfortable ride.
Old 07-24-15, 09:08 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Thanks for the find. So international standards seem to be the same on max tire pressures. Then you should be ok for 39 PSI so the sidewall is stiffer for more stable high-speed ride. But if you have a lot of city driving, consider an in between value of 35-36 to enjoy a more comfortable ride.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna drop it to about 36. Not sure how that will affect my consumption readings...
Old 08-10-15, 02:10 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey In case anyone was wondering I found out why everyone's tire pressure has been set so high from the dealer.
My friend is a diag tech at my dealership and he told me these cars sit in containers on ships when they are being imported to the USA and to reshape the tire and eliminate flat spots they over inflate the tires for the first 5000 miles.
He told me if I'm not noticing any wheels shakes/vibrations when driving and I have lowered my psi to 32 on a cold start that it's perfectly fine. It's just something that factory has them do for those reasons.
I never even thought about it. I too was like why is my tires set at 36 cold and by the time the heat up they are at 39-40 psi.
Well now I know.
Cheers
Old 08-10-15, 03:31 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Hey In case anyone was wondering I found out why everyone's tire pressure has been set so high from the dealer.
My friend is a diag tech at my dealership and he told me these cars sit in containers on ships when they are being imported to the USA and to reshape the tire and eliminate flat spots they over inflate the tires for the first 5000 miles.
He told me if I'm not noticing any wheels shakes/vibrations when driving and I have lowered my psi to 32 on a cold start that it's perfectly fine. It's just something that factory has them do for those reasons.
I never even thought about it. I too was like why is my tires set at 36 cold and by the time the heat up they are at 39-40 psi.
Well now I know.
Cheers
Yup +1 for this. These cars can sit on a boat or on the lot for extended periods on time. You don't want to develop any flat spots on the tires so the natural tendency for manufacturers is to overinflate them. Its still no excuse for dealerships not setting the correct pressure on delivery day though. I keep my tires at 39 cold. I don't mind the slightly bumpier ride, its still super comfortable and I prefer the more balance handling.
Old 08-11-15, 04:59 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

The pressure in my tires were set at 42 PSI when the car was delivered. Seems to work well, ride well.
Old 08-11-15, 05:02 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

My tires were around 37psi cold when I bought the car. I dropped them to 32 cold and my MPG has stayed the same.
Old 08-12-15, 02:21 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
My tires were around 37psi cold when I bought the car. I dropped them to 32 cold and my MPG has stayed the same.
37 psi cold is probably perfect for mixed city and highway driving.

Quick Reply: Correct Tire Pressure