NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question for Owners Prior to Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 04:52 PM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for Owners Prior to Review

Hey NXers. We are starting to film our review of the NX. Much like we did with the IS we look at owner issues and feedback when we do our work. It's one of the most important things actually.

Our final review for IS was posted here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ks-to-you.html

So with that said, most of what we publish goes right back to our Toyota and Lexus reps for improvements etc. With that said here are the questions:

• Why did you choose NX?
  • What do you use it for and what is your commute like?
  • Do you think it was a good value for what you get?
  • What are your favorite things about the car?
  • What do you dislike?
  • What would you tell Toyota/Lexus that you would want/change?
Old 06-28-15, 05:03 PM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Typically I don't post stuff before the video is out because things change but here are some screen shots from video thus far.
Attached Thumbnails Question for Owners Prior to Review-untitled-1.jpg   Question for Owners Prior to Review-untitled-2.jpg   Question for Owners Prior to Review-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 06-28-15, 05:35 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you choose NX?
-It was more modern and better equipped than the RDX. I've had bad experiences with German vehicles, so I did
not consider them. The pricing was right for my needs.

What do you use it for and what is your commute like?
-We're a childless couple, but it's mostly just me driving it with the occasional weekend Costco run. I drive about
13mi to work each way, mainly stop and go.

Do you think it was a good value for what you get?
-Yes

What are your favorite things about the car?
-Styling
-Interior. Modern, functional, love the flaxen color scheme

What do you dislike?
-It's a bit underpowered
-Small quirks like the wipers not returning to rest when the car stops, wish the car would auto start with the home
screen
-The little sunglass compartment mirror is silly

What would you tell Toyota/Lexus that you would want/change?
-Same as above
Old 06-28-15, 11:37 PM
BKRS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My turn....

Why did you choose NX?

Good Size utility vehicle for a small family.

Lexus reliability score card.

Build quality.

Probably one of the smoothest and quietest 2 litre 4 cylinder direct injection turbo engine. Whether inside and out.

Commute for both family and personal usage.

Distances between 25KM to 60KM.

I would not say good value but reasonably price among competitors.

Ease of driving.

Seat comfort.

Quiet.

Sporty and young feel.

What do you dislike?

Screen resolution and GUI can be improve.

A more enthusiatic throttle response will be appreciated during light throttle load.

Seat height just a notch too high for ingress and egress.

Suspension rebound abit too fast.

Lack of exhaust or intake note.

Some plastics in the tailgate are rattle prone. Especially those near the top of rear windshield.

First gear gearing is abit too long.

Plastic surronding window switch on all doors can be of higher quality.

As above.
Old 06-29-15, 03:34 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did you choose NX?
We prefer a smaller footprint in vehicles and the NX fit that size range. Coming from a Mazda CX-5, we wanted a premium brand vehicle, and even though this is a first run vehicle, we felt that with Lexus' history of fit, finish and reliability, the car would not suffer from typical haggles and issues. So far, so good. Also, the edgy lines of the NX, particularly the F Sport package, was appealing to not only my wife but me as well, which was a big deal as there wasn't another car currently out there that we both could agree on. Additionally important, if not the most important, is the interior. We felt that is was easily better looking on the inside than its big brother the RX. We knew that the RX was getting a major facelift next year, but again, footprint was important...we simply don't need the extra room of the RX.

Our NX is my wife's primary mode of transportation which consists of a 45 mile roundtrip commute to work with 30 miles of it on the interstate. It also is the heavy lifter on the weekends as our around town vehicle as my vehicle is a lifted truck and it's easier to move around town in a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle.

We believe that Lexus has hit the sweet spot for this category. We really looked at the BMW X3, and Audi Q5 as our next vehicle, but to get it comparably equipped as the NX, we would have to spend an additional $5-8K. We had settled on this as reality until the NX came out. The engaging drive of the X3 was superior to the NX's but the interior was farther behind (like, really far in our opinion) to the NX's. We don't typically drive a vehicle in the 7/10ths realm of performance, so the BMW, while superior in this area, lost out because we didn't feel like we would be benefiting from that daily...or even occasionally.

We love the edgy looks of the vehicle the most as it's a real head turner in our area. We equally love the interior. Again, we felt that this interior was FAR superior to the BMW and, in fact, was superior to the RX as well. In our opinion, the NX had the least outwardly use of plastic of any vehicle we've owned or driven. As for me alone, and as shallow as this sounds, my absolute favorite single aspect of this vehicle is the LED triple-beam headlights! Collectively, we like the rear set legroom and reclining rear seats as well as the touch sensitive courtesy lights. Also collectively, we feel like this car is absolutely smooth as silk while driving around town. REALLY SMOOTH! Maybe this hurts it in overall sports handling, but again, we're not pushing performance boundaries here.

What do you dislike?

This is a bit tougher as there are only a couple and we feel like we're nick-picking, but...
My first is the use of incandescent turn signals in the rear. Why? Everything else on the outside of the vehicle is LED. My wife doesn't like the cargo area cover as its too restrictive to getting in the area fully. I agree with her. On the CX-5, the cover was a soft one that attached to the door and raised with it providing ample space to lean-in and get groceries, etc. Collectively, our biggest gripe is Lexus' decision NOT to put ventilated seats on F Sports in the US market!! WHY?? While others may gripe or complain about the new RTI touchpad, we have come to accept it and move on. That's not to say it's perfect, but like any other RTI device, it took some time to get used to it and now its absolutely fine. While in an RX loaner, I didn't like the old version...probably because I'm used the NX's now. I feel others don't like the NX's because they came from the RX and were used to that one.

Ventilated seats for F Sports! Use of LED in rear turn signal. Better design of the rear cargo cover to provide better access while leaning in.

Hope this helped! Look forward to seeing your review.

Last edited by D4V1D; 06-29-15 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 05:59 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

• What do you use it for and what is your commute like?
  • Do you think it was a good value for what you get?
  • What are your favorite things about the car?
  • What do you dislike?
  • What would you tell Toyota/Lexus that you would want/change?
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THE NX ?
I chose the NX because of the size and great looks. Very unique …a piece of art ! I have always driven Toyota

WHAT DO YOU USE IT FOR, AND WHAT IS YOUR COMMUTE LIKE ?- I use it for daily commute to work, and all my driving as well. The commute is a short drive, but a fun one. Comfortable, awesome stereo and tech to enhance the ride. I like the sporty feel..not like a bulky SUV

DO YOU THINK IT WS A GOOD VALUE FOR WHAT YOU GET? The value could be better. I feel the NX should have more equipment as standard, and it seems to vary among where you live as well. I think it should come standard with the Pre collision system, wireless charger, and LED headlamps, and power rear door.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT THE CAR ? The tech is a favorite feature, using Lexus Enform , the quality build and look inside and out, awesome premium stereo, the comfort and quiet ride ( could be even better over rough surfaces) I'm impressed with the gas mileage. The different driving modes.

WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE? The dislikes are the above....not getting certain options as standard. After 4 weeks of ownership, they had to replace the rear Differential, however the work was done in a great manner, and I was treated top -notch with customer service. Less plastic on the interior doors. Poor quality paint, especially on the bumper. The seats tend to crease , and I'm concerned about how long they will look good. The memory seat buttons are too low, more color options for F Sport interior, The F Sport needs ventilated seats as well as heated as standard equipment. I really dislike the plastic black mirrors for the exterior, and the black molding around the wheels. ONE BIG gripe is the home screen not showing when you start. You have to hit the Home Button each time.

WHAT WOULD YOU TELL TOYOTA?LEXUS THAT YOU WOULD WANT /CHANGE ? No plastic mirrors, more standard options including heads up display, and sport + for US.

Last edited by RDLGX; 06-29-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 07:21 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[*]Why did you choose NX?

I chose it because I enjoyed the new body styling that Lexus has done. My wife got a '15 IS350 last October and I have been in love with the car. The NX takes many styling cues from the IS, but benefits from being slightly bigger (I felt squished in the IS).

Furthermore, being that the car is a Toyota, I knew the long term life would be there. Previously, I had a Mazda3 hatchback, which was nothing but trouble and before that I had an aging Honda Accord that was at the end of her life (23 yrs old). I wanted a car that would not be an issue and not leave me stranded.

Thus, I got the new styling, and reliability.
[*]What do you use it for and what is your commute like?

I use it as my daily driver, and my commute is about 40 miles a day on backroads.
[*]Do you think it was a good value for what you get?

Overall I do. The price was reasonable and given the inflation on cars of late (GM believes they can sell trucks for $65k), I feel no sticker shock or regret.
[*]What are your favorite things about the car?

1. The appearance. The car is very sharp no matter where it is.

2. The gas mileage. I get about 27-28mpg on my drive to and from work.

3. The ability of the SUV to drive very much like a car. You don't feel like your CoG is too high, and at the same time, you have the utility of an SUV.
[*]What do you dislike?

1. The plastic panels on my passenger front and rear doors are poorly assembled and rattle. My dealership is unwilling to do necessary work because they can't dupiclate it to their "need".

2. Paint, the paint chips if you look at it the wrong way.

3. My new NuLuxe seat on my passenger side had a crease in it from the day I bought the car and Lexus refuses to replace it without dragging out the process. The car has less than 2k miles, and the seat looks like it has 20k miles of wear. The car is 1 month old, it was $50k, just fix the damn seat.

4. Transmission tuning. The car has a chronic need to downshift when you get on the brakes. This can be alarming when slowing down on a steep incline. Furthermore, there is no reason the motor needs to downshift to 3k RPM when I'm going 45mph down a hill. Its ridiculous.

5. Sport Mode Tuning. The boost comes in at the oddest times when the car is in sport. It will go from no boost to 11lbs at the touch of the pedal. Which could be fun at times on a straight road, but instead will do it going into a turn, which results in me having to slam on the brakes.

6. Quality of the NX does not keep up with the quality of the IS. You can clearly see where corners were cut. The cars cost nearly the same, with the NX costing more. The quality should be consistent.
[*]What would you tell Toyota/Lexus that you would want/change?

1. Their demographic option picking. It is ridiculous that my Canadian friends get an adaptive suspension and a headups, but those of us in the US can't? The cars are going down the same assembly line, give us the same options.

2. See transmission tuning.
Old 06-29-15, 12:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Why did you choose NX?
- Lexus brand and all it stands for (reliability, fit/finish, materials quality)
- Compact SUV size right fit for needs.
- Styling in and out
- Tech

- commute to work 75% wife: 1 mile; 25% myself: 25 miles
- family hauler for outings and road trips
- cargo hauler for DIY/home renos

- Best in class, up until Acura's 2016 RDX arrived with similar full tech at a lower cost (NX now second).
- Regardless of the RDX, I would still buy the NX due to the Lexus brand and exceptionally unique and aggressive styling.

- Styling
- Power when boost engages*** (see dislike below)
- NVH
- Smooth engine and transmission shifting
- Cargo floor room
- Handling
- Ride comfort
- Tech
- Sport Mode and Paddle Shifters

What do you dislike? to the OP, see the Interesting Discoveries Thread for real-world owner experiences (good and bad) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...od-or-bad.html

- Soft power responsiveness (lag) from a stand still or at low speeds.
- Excessively soiled lower door panels in winter (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-seal-fix.html)
- Minor occasional squeaks in extreme cabin temps (freezing to hot) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9074948
- Slow power hatch
- Door locking feature disabled while rear hatch closing using the door handles/hatch
- Outdated Nav and phone integration tech
- RTI Touchpad touch occasionally inoperative in extremely hot cabin temps
- Cheap exterior mirrors that creak on touch
- Overly-stiff F Sport seat bottom bolsters
- Wind buffeting noise driver's side window at speeds above 45 mph

See above

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-29-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 04:29 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[*]Why did you choose NX?
Have enjoyed our previous RX's for their quality build. We were waiting for a smaller SUV from Lexus for years as the RX was just too big for our needs.
[*]What do you use it for and what is your commute like?
Mainly my wife's daily driver. However, we take it out a lot on weekends. I actually enjoy driving the NX so we have a conversation about which car we're taking every time we go out now. Although she liked her RX's, I didn't enjoy driving them.
[*]Do you think it was a good value for what you get?

The options packages get a little pricey and its a bit hard to swallow paying as much as we paid for our last RX but I do like the added safety features and driving dynamics.
[*]What are your favorite things about the car?
Driving dynamics, 'feel' of the cockpit when driving, safety features (pre-collision, blind spot monitoring, etc), decent mileage for an SUV, peppy engine, ventilated seats
[*]What do you dislike?
Quick list - suggestions for improvement:
Lane departure wasn't avaialble in early models. Couldn't get it. Not sure if it's available now but here should be a safety package with all of the safety tech and please release lane departure already (or make it available)

Auto rear door hatch is Slooooooow

Remote touch interface ain't great. I prefer the mouse like setup on the RX. Clunky and not easy to figure out where you are o. The screen as there is no reference point in the track pad like you have with the mouse position on the RX.

Mud and dirt get up under the rear doors (especially). There needs to be better weather stripping added to the lower doors

Seat memory button positions are easy to hit with one's knee. Could be better placed.

Nav should start on the home screen and not the map. You have to hit the home button to get to the home screen every time you start the car.

[*]What would you tell Toyota/Lexus that you would want/change?

Please see list above. Generally, it's a great car that both my wife and I really enjoy driving. Lexus did a bang up job with the NX!

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 07-01-15 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 09:36 AM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the feedback thus far, I will respond individually after this week.