NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question about Road Noise

Old 06-04-15, 04:34 PM
lbluevet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Question about Road Noise

We have 1,400 miles on our NX200t FSport. We really like the Lexus after down sizing from an AUDI Q5. My question is about road noise which seems to get excessive once you exceede 60 MPH. I haven't brought it to Lexus for their opinion yet.

I was wondering if others have noticed the same. Or is it the nature of the FSport vs the base model. Would like to hear your comments about cursing at highway speed.
Old 06-04-15, 05:41 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I've noticed (non F-sport here) but I'm sure each person is differently sensitive to this.

Plus, it may have something to do with the comparison to your old car. My last car was a VW sportwagen, and it was pretty quiet as well, so it wouldn't say the NX has been any different. It could be a tire thing too.
Old 06-04-15, 06:20 PM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We feel like our F Sport is REALLY quiet...and we have the summer tires.

As a side note, I don't think the NX is considered downsizing from the Q5. Q7 yes, but not the Q5. We parked them side by side and they are virtually identical in size.
Old 06-04-15, 07:13 PM
BKRS
Driver School Candidate

This is my major qualms on this car. I feel the same way about the road noise. Its more of thread noise due to the choice of tyre by Lexus.

Has anyone replace the stock tyres so far and realise the reduction in noise. Hope you can chip in with yor experience.
Old 06-05-15, 05:12 AM
leej865
Driver

I have the summer tires too, and I think the Lexus is amazingly quiet. I came from a full size luxury car that had 20 inch tires...and it was LOUD by comparison. As others have said, it must be perception. All of the road tests I have read speak to the minimal road noise too. I test drove a Q5 while shopping, and I did not think it was more quiet than the Lexus at all.
Old 06-05-15, 05:20 AM
BKRS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leej865
I have the summer tires too, and I think the Lexus is amazingly quiet. I came from a full size luxury car that had 20 inch tires...and it was LOUD by comparison. As others have said, it must be perception. All of the road tests I have read speak to the minimal road noise too. I test drove a Q5 while shopping, and I did not think it was more quiet than the Lexus at all.
My last car was running on 20inch michelin pss at 285/30 R20 staggered and being a hybrid I am pretty sure the NX is louder in comparison. I am certain the Bridgestone Dueler is the key to this.

The noise is bearable and not LOUD in any sense but is noticeable in the NX. Probably with a different set of tyres will be of great help.
Old 06-05-15, 05:28 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I have the Yokohamas on mine and I feel like there could be a quieter tire.
Old 06-05-15, 05:37 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I have Yokohamas and find the NX very quiet at all speeds. I am not experiencing wind noise as some have posted either.
Old 06-05-15, 05:40 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I'm really surprised by these comments...not that they're wrong...just that I honestly think this is, by far, the quietest car I have ever owned and I'm at a loss as to others experience with the same car. My Acura TL was nowhere close to this quiet, not to mention the CX-5 we traded in for the NX.

In fact, my wife and I STILL talk about how quiet it is after two weeks of ownership. We haven't got "used" to the lack of road noise yet.

Interesting...
Old 06-05-15, 07:41 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice some slight wind noise when I get up to highway speeds but that's only when the radio is off.

I have the Yokohamas and so far I am pleased with them. When I throw the car around on back roads I can hear the tires but that's expected.
Old 06-05-15, 09:10 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BKRS
My last car was running on 20inch michelin pss at 285/30 R20 staggered and being a hybrid I am pretty sure the NX is louder in comparison. I am certain the Bridgestone Dueler is the key to this.

The noise is bearable and not LOUD in any sense but is noticeable in the NX. Probably with a different set of tyres will be of great help.
For the SG market Michelin offers a tire called Primacy 3ST and the ST stands for what you are looking for. Google and you will find its well reviewed. Friend with a RX switched to Michelin Latitude touring and I noticed a significant reduction of tire noise.
Old 06-05-15, 09:51 AM
gooner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Wow. I'm really surprised by these comments...not that they're wrong...just that I honestly think this is, by far, the quietest car I have ever owned and I'm at a loss as to others experience with the same car. My Acura TL was nowhere close to this quiet, not to mention the CX-5 we traded in for the NX.

In fact, my wife and I STILL talk about how quiet it is after two weeks of ownership. We haven't got "used" to the lack of road noise yet.

Interesting...
I'm with you on this.
I had a Murano for years and also tested CX-5 (the loudest), RDX, new Murano, Q3.
Have no complaints about nx noise at any speed.
Old 06-05-15, 10:06 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Quieter than my C350 4Matic on 19"
Old 06-05-15, 10:16 AM
BKRS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by webra
For the SG market Michelin offers a tire called Primacy 3ST and the ST stands for what you are looking for. Google and you will find its well reviewed. Friend with a RX switched to Michelin Latitude touring and I noticed a significant reduction of tire noise.
Thanks for the heads up. Heard good reviews on them. in fact even the michelin latitude sports 3 which comes with the macans seems to be pretty quiet too. Will definitely give it a try when in due course.
Old 06-05-15, 11:06 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by BKRS

Yes, I have the F-Sport, non-hybrid model with the Bridgestone Dueler summer tires and they are very quiet even at 80mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Road Noise