NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Phone holder recommendations (merged master thread)

Old 04-11-15, 10:48 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default NX Phone holder recommendations (merged master thread)

In case anyone is looking for one...

I wanted a phone mount, but I didn't want one of those sand bag style ones you put on the dash and I didn't want a windshield mounted one.

I ended up getting a Koomus Magnetos air vent mount. Only air vent I could use it on is the left vent. There are others that are similar, but this one had a ball joint so I could adjust the angle of the phone.

I found the only slat I could attach it to was the top most slat. Any other one would cause the vents to close as the weight (doesn't need much) of the mount would pull the slats down. Attaching it to the top slat, it could also rest on the second slat and prevent it from moving down.

I took two pics and also grabbed pics from Amazon.

The mount contains the magnet. It comes with two metal plates. One is plain that you can insert in the battery compartment or between the phone and a case. The other has an adhesive backing that you could attach to the back of the phone. The only issue with this setup is if I want to plug a usb cable into the phone. It'd be nice if I could run some cable so it's not too messy.

Last edited by typocl; 04-11-15 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 05:23 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a little wary of aircon vent mounts... I mean, could be my judgement, but the vent slats look rather fragile.

What I did was get an old plastic cup, fill it with epoxy and gravel (for weight), stuck a gooseneck mount in there and stick it into the frontmost cup holder. Of course, took a few trial and error trys and turns and turns of electrical tape to get the fitting correct, but thanks to the thickness of the tape and the weight of the small rocks, the whole thing is solid and doesn't budge. Running a USB cable to it is no problem as well, as the centre console notch for the cable to come out from is just behind it.
Old 04-13-15, 08:40 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Here's my phone mount...
Old 04-13-15, 09:58 PM
typocl
Instructor

that's a lot of keys you have there...

I'm thinking of running a black USB extender from the center console and along a console seam then have it end across the other side of the steering wheel. If I need to mount the phone and charge, I'll use a short charging cable. I just need to figure out the best way of securing the cable. I'm thinking of double sided tape.

Anyone know how to remove one of the blank knockouts? I could route the extender to that.

Old 04-13-15, 10:44 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

You need to remove that panel by pulling it off. Most of the panels are held on by clips, with the exception of the lower panel around the drivers knee airbag (that one has I think 1 or 2 screws). You just have to see which ones are overlapped, and remove the overlapping ones first. Once you get the panel off, behind face of the blank, there should be two little tabs which you have to press inwards and having done that, the entire blank pops off towards the front.

I notice you have the ASC function. Are you able to ascertain for me if the asc sound is coming through the normal car audio speakers, or is there some other hidden speaker somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-15, 11:06 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by legrunt
You need to remove that panel by pulling it off. Most of the panels are held on by clips, with the exception of the lower panel around the drivers knee airbag (that one has I think 1 or 2 screws). You just have to see which ones are overlapped, and remove the overlapping ones first. Once you get the panel off, behind face of the blank, there should be two little tabs which you have to press inwards and having done that, the entire blank pops off towards the front.

I notice you have the ASC function. Are you able to ascertain for me if the asc sound is coming through the normal car audio speakers, or is there some other hidden speaker somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
Actually, I don't have ASC...that's just a stolen image off the web as an example...
Old 04-16-15, 08:56 PM
ExoticGarn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like magnets but I don't like it when they cover the vent. For that very reason, I chose the imagnet because it fit my need.

Old 04-29-15, 02:45 AM
alexdell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cell Phone Mount in the CD slot?

I'm looking for a magnetic cell phone mount that could be attached in the CD slot. The main issue is that the location of the CD player is plushed in with the central dash. Also, the gear shifter might be get in the way when in Park.

Not my pic but just to visualize the issue:

I found a couple of potential options from Amazon but I'm not sure if there will be clearance issues.
The first option (Mountek nGroove Snap 3) might work. Any suggestions?

Option 1:
Mountek nGroove Snap 3

http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroove-Magnetic-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B00MNXAFQ6 http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroove-Magnetic-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B00MNXAFQ6

Option 2:
Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUIL310/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D8G7AUVF3XUS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUIL310/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D8G7AUVF3XUS
Old 04-29-15, 05:37 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I really wish the SD card slot below the radio had a couple of USB ports so that you can use a mount like this and charge your phone at the same time.
Old 04-29-15, 07:54 AM
typocl
Instructor

I had thought about getting a CD mount as well, but I had the same concerns as you pointed out, so I went with a vent mount that goes into the left vent.
Old 04-29-15, 08:25 AM
alexdell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
I had thought about getting a CD mount as well, but I had the same concerns as you pointed out, so I went with a vent mount that goes into the left vent.
I saw your vent mount post & was initially going to replicate your set up until I noticed the CD mount option. I think I'm going to be the guinea pig and order the Mountek. I'll post my results here. Worst case, I can install it in my wife's Acura TSX. I'll keep you guys updated.

Alex
Old 05-01-15, 01:13 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I received this item today and installed it. The fit is good with just enough space to handle the shifter. I opted not to get the magnetic one because I have a case on my phone and not looking to put a magnet inside the case. I still wish there was some way to run a charger cord to it without lots of wires but based on the USB slots location that is not possible.

With a Samsung Galaxy S4 in the cradle it does cover some of AC controls

Amazon.com: Kootek® Universal CD Slot Car Mount Phone Holder Cradle for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Galaxy Note 2 Note 3, Nokia Lumia 1020 930 920, Nexus 5 6 7 9 S, HTC One M8 M7 M9 X S Desire 510, LG Optimus G, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan GPS Navigation: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kootek® Universal CD Slot Car Mount Phone Holder Cradle for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Galaxy Note 2 Note 3, Nokia Lumia 1020 930 920, Nexus 5 6 7 9 S, HTC One M8 M7 M9 X S Desire 510, LG Optimus G, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan GPS Navigation: Cell Phones & Accessories

Old 05-01-15, 01:16 PM
allgoodman
Rookie

Not CD slot, but I have a very compact one that slides into air-con vent.
Old 05-03-15, 06:58 AM
ExoticGarn
Driver School Candidate

Check out the imagnet although it's not a cd slot type but it is magnetic.
Old 05-03-15, 07:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I would think that putting a magnet on the back of the phone would screw up the wireless charging capability. Yes-No?

wildeklave-- could you post more photos with a phone in the holder? I don't see how it works. The holder looks like it's in front of the shifter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX Phone holder recommendations (merged master thread)