NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Wireless charging tray size

Old 04-02-15, 10:40 AM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless charging tray size

I ordered the wireless charging tray on my NX but now am concerned that the phone I'll be getting soon will not fit, the Samsung S6 Edge. The last reply on this thread states a size of 79mm x 140mm
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...ing-in-the-nx/

but the phone is 70.1mm x 142.1mm per these specs
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_edge-7079.php

Does anyone have the actual dimensions? I am concerned now that this option will be useless as the phone will not lay flat in the tray.

or does anyone have the Samsung S5 and it fits, the S6 is about the same dimensions. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mike1021; 04-02-15 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 11:44 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I don't know the dimensions, but I do have an S5 and while it doesn't fit in there perfectly it does till charge. But on the S5 you need to buy a Qi adaptor to put in the battery compartment.

I also have a Spigen case on my S5, never tried it without the case, but it charges through the case as well.

Phil
Old 04-02-15, 11:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8850536
Old 04-02-15, 12:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

mike1021, I noticed how close the size of the S6 (142.1 mm) is to the size of the wireless charging tray in the NX (142 mm), which by 0.1 of a mm would technically not fit and would be a shame to not know more precisely...

So, I took out the heavy duty precision measuring device to measure down to the fraction of the mm, and lo and behold, you're good! It's 142.48mm.

Old 04-02-15, 12:19 PM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Perfect, thanks for the help. Based on that information the S6 Edge will fit.
Old 04-02-15, 12:22 PM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

corradoMR2, thanks for pulling out the precision machinery on this one. That's a cool measuring device, good to know for sure it'll just make it.
Old 04-02-15, 12:25 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

now what happens if you have a rubber case on your phone? Will it still fit? On future models I would hope Lexus would make the opening bigger and have attachments based on your phone for fit.
Old 04-02-15, 12:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mike1021
corradoMR2, thanks for pulling out the precision machinery on this one. That's a cool measuring device, good to know for sure it'll just make it.
Yeah, had to make use of this tool. I recently got it and never had a use for it until now.

Of course, for your S6, this means no case or skin but a screen film protector should do the trick for some protection.

One other thing to note with my native Qi Nokia 830 is that the wireless charging is towards the bottom third of the phone which makes it finicky to charge in the NX's tray since it has to be in the right spot on the tray. If it moves a touch, it won't charge. I think it's my phone versus the tray since I have to place my phone on an exact spot on my desk Qi charger for the charging to work, otherwise it blinks and doesn't charge. Not sure where the charging contact area is on the S6, but hopefully it's more centered and in line with the centered location of the NX's charging area.

When you get it, post in this thread your experience (good or bad) so others can benefit too.
Old 04-02-15, 12:59 PM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, had to make use of this tool. I recently got it and never had a use for it until now.

Of course, for your S6, this means no case or skin but a screen film protector should do the trick for some protection.

One other thing to note with my native Qi Nokia 830 is that the wireless charging is towards the bottom third of the phone which makes it finicky to charge in the NX's tray since it has to be in the right spot on the tray. If it moves a touch, it won't charge. I think it's my phone versus the tray since I have to place my phone on an exact spot on my desk Qi charger for the charging to work, otherwise it blinks and doesn't charge. Not sure where the charging contact area is on the S6, but hopefully it's more centered and in line with the centered location of the NX's charging area.

When you get it, post in this thread your experience (good or bad) so others can benefit too.
Yeah unfortunately a case will push it over the limit. Getting phone in a week and NX in about 4, so I will post back shortly with pics/results.
Old 04-02-15, 01:01 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mike1021
Yeah unfortunately a case will push it over the limit. Getting phone in a week and NX in about 4, so I will post back shortly with pics/results.
I wouldn't worry to much if you do get a case, as I said my S5 with a Spigen case on it doesn't sit in there flush and it charges just fine. I am not saying it doesn't bounce out now and then, but it does a pretty darn good job when I need it at least.

Phil
Old 04-02-15, 01:33 PM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philwojo
I wouldn't worry to much if you do get a case, as I said my S5 with a Spigen case on it doesn't sit in there flush and it charges just fine. I am not saying it doesn't bounce out now and then, but it does a pretty darn good job when I need it at least.

Phil
I'll keep that in mind, thanks Phil.
Old 04-02-15, 03:05 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a iPhone 6 Plus and am pretty bummed it doesn't fit. I got a Qi charging adapter to see if it works sitting at an angle, but no go.
Old 04-03-15, 01:33 AM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You know, I think the Qi tray has some sort of servo, or stepping motor or something... that moves. In the quiet of the car in acc mode, when you first turn the tray on, you can definitely something whirr in there. And try this... put you phone in one way, you can hear a whirr... Take it out, put it in again, no whirr... Take it out, put it back in, but this time, put it upside down. Whirr again.

This makes me believe there is some sort of intelligence built in, where it will move the coil to what it thinks is the optimum spot...
Old 04-03-15, 09:07 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

if true, they should advertise this "intelligence" as a feature
Old 04-03-15, 09:58 AM
jrovito
Driver School Candidate

Can you buy a Qi charging tray seperately or does it have to be part of a package?

I already took delivery of mine and would love a qi charging tray.. I was even thinking of just getting a Qi charging pad and double sided tape and place it under the current plastic tray.

anyone try this?

kind of ghetto, but it should work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wireless charging tray size