NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 04:24 PM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today when I was in stop and go traffic, I noticed there was a noise coming out of the car/brake system when I brake.

When you brake to a stop under normal driving conditions, it's smooth and behaves just like normal. But I noticed a sound that sounds like something is sliding forward or moving forward would happen when I:

-Come to a complete stop from normal driving speed
-Gently let go of the brakes so the car rolls forward as the foot is still on the brake paddle with some pressure
-Apply more pressure to the brake paddle to bring the car to a complete stop again
-Sound of something sliding or moving forward would appear just as the car is about to come to another complete stop.

I will try to see if a video could capture the sound.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-01-15, 08:07 PM
LBCDan
Driver

Default Rattling/ticking noise front passenger door

I noticed a slight rattle/ticking noise coming from the front passenger door. At first it was only above 40 mph but now it is at lower speeds as well and getting louder. When I press on the top of the door card, the sound seems to dissipate a lot but doesn't go away completely. It must be an ill-fitting door molding or a loose cable inside the door. I'll have the dealer check it out. It is really disappointing to hear this noise in a brand new Lexus NX. I was going to wait until my 5k service but it is starting to drive me crazy, I may have to deal with it before then.
Old 10-03-15, 07:10 PM
lexusnx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a slight "CLICK" noise near the front driver's side. Some times this noise is significant enough to feel it through the floor. So it happens only when I start my car and slowly start moving about 10-15ft when this noise clicks in. The "click" happens regardless of my foot on/off brakes or accelerator. Anybody else have this issue?
Old 10-04-15, 06:53 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnx
I have a slight "CLICK" noise near the front driver's side. Some times this noise is significant enough to feel it through the floor. So it happens only when I start my car and slowly start moving about 10-15ft when this noise clicks in. The "click" happens regardless of my foot on/off brakes or accelerator. Anybody else have this issue?
ABS, look at your manual
Old 10-04-15, 08:24 AM
lexusnx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

copy/ paste from owners manual

■ Sounds and vibrations caused by the ABS, brake assist, TRAC, VSC and hill-start assist control systems
● A sound may be heard from the engine compartment when the brake pedal is depressed repeatedly, when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This sound does not indicate that a malfunction has occurred in any of these sys- tems.
● Any of the following conditions may occur when the above systems are operating. None of these indicates that a malfunction has occurred.
• Vibrationsmaybefeltthroughthevehiclebodyandsteering.
• Amotorsoundmaybeheardafterthevehiclecomestoastop.
• ThebrakepedalmaypulsateslightlyaftertheABSisactivated.
• ThebrakepedalmaymovedownslightlyaftertheABSisactivated.

Why is it that the sound "may" be heard. Does that mean some cars don't make that sound at all? How do you know the sound you hear is the sound that the manual is referring to..
Old 10-04-15, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnx
copy/ paste from owners manual

Why is it that the sound "may" be heard. Does that mean some cars don't make that sound at all? How do you know the sound you hear is the sound that the manual is referring to..

Environmentals and accessories iin use are variables that can cause the conditions.

For example with my car, in cold weather, a cold engine with the heater on, revving at 800 rpm has a slight vibration that is felt.
Old 10-08-15, 03:59 PM
LBCDan
Driver

Update - I got my NX back from the dealership today after 2 and half days! Well, I wasn't crazy, there was an actual rattle in the door. The technician wrote "Road test found rattle noise coming from right front door striker. Slight clearance between front door striker and right front door latch, noise went away when pressed and applied pressure at right front door frame. Move and inspect door sticker and re-torque tighten to factory specification, road test and confirmed repair fixed problem." It is a little disappointing when a rattle is an issue in a brand new Lexus.
Old 10-08-15, 04:05 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCDan
It is a little disappointing when a rattle is an issue in a brand new Lexus.
Don't sweat it, @LBCDan. No car is perfect! (Lexus is close, but not perfect). Especially in a model's first year.

I had a rattle in my rear-view mirror (NX was only one-week old) and the dealer put insulation in it and all is good.
Old 10-16-15, 05:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by LBCDan
Update - I got my NX back from the dealership today after 2 and half days! Well, I wasn't crazy, there was an actual rattle in the door. The technician wrote "Road test found rattle noise coming from right front door striker. Slight clearance between front door striker and right front door latch, noise went away when pressed and applied pressure at right front door frame. Move and inspect door sticker and re-torque tighten to factory specification, road test and confirmed repair fixed problem." It is a little disappointing when a rattle is an issue in a brand new Lexus.

My past RX had the same door striker/clearance issue as well as several other owners reported the same thing. My IS is starting to have the same issue though the lowered springs and larger wheels/lower profile tires are contributors due to the added stiffer ride. As far as Lexus issues go, this is about as serious (and common) as it gets. I'll take the odd squeak or rattle over electrical and mechanical issues any day.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-16-15 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 08:25 PM
badkulo
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, I just got a Nebula grey Fsport two months ago and I'm starting to hear a tapping/ ticking sound coming from inside the dash. It sounds like something is loose inside the dash. It's most noticeable when I am driving slow (20mph) over bumpy roads. It's really driving me crazy. I know it's not the abs because it doesn't go away after driving for a long time. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I also would like to add my finding on improving the rear subwoofer overall sound quality. My rear Hatch has bass rattle since day one from the dealer. I also thought license plate was the cause. It turned out that it was lacking stuffing material around the subwoofer to enclose the sound. I was able to pop the square cover in the middle of the Hatch and stuff some old microfiber towels to fill the gap. Now I no longer need to lower the bass all the way to minimize the rattle.

Last edited by badkulo; 10-27-15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 07:14 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed a rattle coming from behind the drivers seat. It sounds like it might be the back door. Anyone notice something similiar?
Old 10-29-15, 07:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by badkulo
Hi guys, I just got a Nebula grey Fsport two months ago and I'm starting to hear a tapping/ ticking sound coming from inside the dash. It sounds like something is loose inside the dash. It's most noticeable when I am driving slow (20mph) over bumpy roads. It's really driving me crazy. I know it's not the abs because it doesn't go away after driving for a long time. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I also would like to add my finding on improving the rear subwoofer overall sound quality. My rear Hatch has bass rattle since day one from the dealer. I also thought license plate was the cause. It turned out that it was lacking stuffing material around the subwoofer to enclose the sound. I was able to pop the square cover in the middle of the Hatch and stuff some old microfiber towels to fill the gap. Now I no longer need to lower the bass all the way to minimize the rattle.
I had a small ticking coming from the speaker cover which I removed and stuffed foam in the crevices. Have someone drive your car while you sit in the passenger seat to try to isolate the sound. You'd be surprised at the actual source location vs where you thought it was coming from.

I added polyurethane foam and like you, big difference in sound vibration reduction.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ibrations.html
Originally Posted by 1halifax
I have noticed a rattle coming from behind the drivers seat. It sounds like it might be the back door. Anyone notice something similiar?
Rule out (or pinpoint)the source:
- Check the center armrest. It can make a tiny squeak sound when closed up, resolved with vinyl/leather conditioner around the arm rest. -
- Lower the rear seat rear seat all the way.
- Check for the jack or other equipment beneath the cargo floor for looseness
- If you have one, remove the license plate cover/frame and test. If it's that and you want to keep it, get window draft foam strip (or equivalent), cut up strips and place between the the frame and license plate to absorb the rattle.
Old 10-29-15, 07:57 PM
badkulo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I had a small ticking coming from the speaker cover which I removed and stuffed foam in the crevices. Have someone drive your car while you sit in the passenger seat to try to isolate the sound. You'd be surprised at the actual source location vs where you thought it was coming from.

I added polyurethane foam and like you, big difference in sound vibration reduction.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ibrations.html

Rule out (or pinpoint)the source:
- Check the center armrest. It can make a tiny squeak sound when closed up, resolved with vinyl/leather conditioner around the arm rest. -
- Lower the rear seat rear seat all the way.
- Check for the jack or other equipment beneath the cargo floor for looseness
- If you have one, remove the license plate cover/frame and test. If it's that and you want to keep it, get window draft foam strip (or equivalent), cut up strips and place between the the frame and license plate to absorb the rattle.
Which speaker cover? Did you do all of them?
Old 10-29-15, 11:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by badkulo
Which speaker cover? Did you do all of them?
In my case, it was the passenger side. Here are some pics.

Old 10-30-15, 02:44 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1halifax
I had one back there and thankfully it was simple. The seat belt in for the back seat on the drivers side was hitting against the side of the vehicle. Stuck it down in the crack of the seat and the rattle stopped. Check that out first.
Hopefully it's a simple one.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread