NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 07:32 AM
Gizmo607
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngkeith18
Sorry but I don't get what you mean?
For example when you are about to Parallel park the car you would turn ur steering wheel in a full circle. While turning the wherel it would make a noise, for example when you pull a rope and is rubbing against the edge of a table . Is it the power steering noise?
Old 05-15-15, 08:19 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Same noise, but different behavior. It hasn't bothered me to go to the dealer about it. I'll bring it up when I take it in for the first service and see what they say about it.
i have an appointment next monday, i will report back.
Old 05-16-15, 06:02 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
For example when you are about to Parallel park the car you would turn ur steering wheel in a full circle. While turning the wherel it would make a noise, for example when you pull a rope and is rubbing against the edge of a table . Is it the power steering noise?
That sounds, to me, like the electric power steering - nothing to worry about, my 13 ES350 does the same thing, and I've heard it in other ES and RX loaners, as well as when I was test-driving an NX F-Sport and NX non-F Sport. I really only notice it if/when I turn the wheel rather quickly.

I have NEVER heard it while driving, so if you're hearing it then, I would definitely have it checked out.

dCota
Old 05-18-15, 03:53 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon177
it is not the turbo.

first, that sound comes on with or without the turbo kicks in.
second, this is not the first turbo car we've own (1.8T jetta, 2 1.8T A4, 2.0T GLI, and currently Audi S3, we also have friends that owns MK7 GTI 2.0T, B8.5 2.0T A4, B7 2.0T A4, STI and EVO, none of those turbo sounded like that), unless the turbo in this lexus sounds like that drilling sound every time i visit my dentist.
third, the non F sport NX we test drove prior the purchase and the F sport i test drove few weeks ago do not have the same noise.

if you have the same noise as i posted on youtube, please let me know. thank you in advance.
........ if you've owned turbo cars you would also know the turbo never shuts off. You start the engine the turbo is spinning.
Are you saying the noise doesn't match revs?
Old 05-18-15, 02:00 PM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Update: we test drove 2 different NXs today, one was already warm up, one was cold start. i can hear that same noise on both but it was very very very low, we had to listen very carefully in order to hear it, but definitely not as loud as our car.

According to the engineer, he does not think its coming from the turbo, possibly transmission.

Last edited by Marlon177; 05-18-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 06:45 PM
Gizmo607
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by dCota
That sounds, to me, like the electric power steering - nothing to worry about, my 13 ES350 does the same thing, and I've heard it in other ES and RX loaners, as well as when I was test-driving an NX F-Sport and NX non-F Sport. I really only notice it if/when I turn the wheel rather quickly.

I have NEVER heard it while driving, so if you're hearing it then, I would definitely have it checked out.

dCota
I don't hear it while driving. Thanks for clarifying I can drive with ease now!
Old 05-24-15, 09:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Wind Buffeting - validate source

Regarding the wind buffeting noise we all (or most of us) seem to hear above 45 mph (70 kph), it's possible the mirror is the contributor.

My mirror feels flimsy on its pivot axis and I notice a larger (and longer) gap compared to the RX or IS which did not produce this noticeable noise. To validate if this is a contributing factor, I added tape to close the gap. Of course this is an unsightly and non-permanent fix, but it's to help pinpoint the source.

I did a same speed run with and without the tape on the same street, same direction to eliminate wind speed/direction variables, and the buffeting wind noise was reduced.

To ensure it's not a fluke or a placebo effect of some kind can anyone else try this and validate? Make sure to place the tape snugly mounted (about 10-12" piece) all around the gap.

Thanks!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-24-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 11:00 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon177
Update: we test drove 2 different NXs today, one was already warm up, one was cold start. i can hear that same noise on both but it was very very very low, we had to listen very carefully in order to hear it, but definitely not as loud as our car.

According to the engineer, he does not think its coming from the turbo, possibly transmission.
Mine has started a low rubbing sound on occasion when back up or when I first start out and turn just as you mention, but it will make the noise without the gas pedal being pushed, and will do it if you back straight out or turn. I did have the e brake stay on the other day after putting in reverse, but put it back in park and reverse again and it worked....I was thinking this rubbing sound could be from the brakes, but then it doesn't do it all the time....only when you first start out or back up. A mystery as to why the brake didn't go off when put in reverse as it should.The brake is working, but I still have the noise only when you first start out.

Last edited by RDLGX; 05-24-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 01:17 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

one noise that is a bit concerning is the noise from the auto parking brake engaging and disengaging. I can only hear it with the window down but it's pretty loud.
Old 05-26-15, 05:05 AM
Gizmo607
Driver School Candidate

Default When turning off the car.

when before when I turned off the car on my f sport. I normally hear the turbo winding down. Buy when I open the door I hear a noise for a second. The noise sounded like a hard drive reading a CD. I do not know if I am explaining the noise correctly.
Old 05-26-15, 12:00 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gas Cap Door Locking THUNK.......... You know one noise I really don't like is the PLASTICKY THUNK sound when locking the car doors. It is actually the gas cap door locking, sounds like a big chunk of plastic slapping into a big chunk of plastic. Makes the NX sound really "cheap" to me, when standing outside locking the doors... I look around to see if anyone else heard it as if I were embarrassed to be driving a 1970s or 1980s cheapo Japanese car.
Old 05-26-15, 04:51 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Regarding the wind buffeting noise we all (or most of us) seem to hear above 45 mph (70 kph), it's possible the mirror is the contributor.

My mirror feels flimsy on its pivot axis and I notice a larger (and longer) gap compared to the RX or IS which did not produce this noticeable noise. To validate if this is a contributing factor, I added tape to close the gap. Of course this is an unsightly and non-permanent fix, but it's to help pinpoint the source.

[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/1152x648/80-nxmirror_c4c6fe996cb0eec153e6657f9211e9d0972c0f14.jpg

I did a same speed run with and without the tape on the same street, same direction to eliminate wind speed/direction variables, and the buffeting wind noise was reduced.

To ensure it's not a fluke or a placebo effect of some kind can anyone else try this and validate? Make sure to place the tape snugly mounted (about 10-12" piece) all around the gap.

Thanks!
Corrado that gap looks big, a lot bigger than ours. Head over to the dealer and check out some of the other cars on the lot. I agree that hood to quarter panel gap is also huge, but it is equal all around so I don't want the dealer messing with it.
Old 05-30-15, 03:07 PM
tulsaag
Driver School Candidate

Default NX driver side wind noise

I have a NX not the sport model and have noticed excessive wind noise only on the drivers side. The noise appears to be coming from the window. I took it to the dealer and ask a technician to drive with me. He rode on the passenger side and then drove the car and agreed. He said the tint can cause noise but mine appeared to be fine. He said he would have to talk to Lexus since it is a new model. This was the second trip to the dealer for this issue and they can't find anything wrong. I'm thinking about taking it to another Lexus dealer while I'm out of town.
Old 05-30-15, 08:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tulsaag
I have a NX not the sport model and have noticed excessive wind noise only on the drivers side. The noise appears to be coming from the window. I took it to the dealer and ask a technician to drive with me. He rode on the passenger side and then drove the car and agreed. He said the tint can cause noise but mine appeared to be fine. He said he would have to talk to Lexus since it is a new model. This was the second trip to the dealer for this issue and they can't find anything wrong. I'm thinking about taking it to another Lexus dealer while I'm out of town.
Welcome to the forum. Wish it were under better circumstances.

Perhaps the tape "fix" I posted above may help pinpoint the issue? Can you try it and post back?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-15, 07:01 PM
tulsaag
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Welcome to the forum. Wish it were under better circumstances.

Perhaps the tape "fix" I posted above may help pinpoint the issue? Can you try it and post back?

Thanks!

I will try this fix tomorrow and post back.. Dealer tried to say it is just a noiser car than the RX but I don't understand why the wind noise is only on the drivers side and not the passenger side.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread