NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 12:28 AM
astinus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an annoying rattle coming from the back for the first couple of days after delivery. Turned out to be because the rear number plate wasn't screwed on tightly enough by the dealer....
Old 05-29-17, 04:27 PM
wpath
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And the tailgate-mounted subwoofer (if you have the nav package) just makes that problem worse. I had the same issue when I got my NX, and fortunately had the idea to check it before I went 50 miles back to my dealer...
Old 07-10-17, 02:44 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My nav screen housing is starting to get squeaky. When I go over bumps or the rumble circles (Bott's Dots), I can hear it squeaking. I hear the same squeaking when I grab it nudge it back and forth. Any fix to it? Sorry if this has been brought up before. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
rx300s415 (07-30-17)
Old 09-25-17, 07:18 AM
ptung07
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2017 NX 300h AWD. Sometimes I noticed there is a "lag" or slowness in the Entune/Informant system. Like turning on the volume **** up or down, switching screens to different inputs, radio, etc there is a lag. 2-3 seconds. Anyone else notice this?
Old 09-26-17, 04:41 PM
ayman01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Guys!

I have the NX200T 2016.

Have 22000 km on it, and until yesterday there were no sounds inside the car. Yesterday I was driving not a not very good road and with a slight shaking, something began to rattle and make an unpleasant sound at the back of the car.

I took everything out of the trunk, even took off the plate, drove again along the road and heard again that there is a sound from behind.

I was at the dealer, they tested the car with me, said that this sound comes from the leather seats and it is normal for them because they are tight.

Although I folded the seats completely and the sound remained.

Who faced this issue before? How to solve it?
Old 09-01-18, 07:25 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The top HVAC plastic cover was starting to creak in hot temperatures especially with the sun beaming on it. It became annoying while driving even over relatively smooth surfaces.

Since this was not a simple DIY in removing the cover without possibly damaging something, I decided to get Lexus to fix it under warranty.

Needless to say, they added insulating (felt) material in between plastic parts resulting in a very tight assembly. It's rock solid now.

https://youtu.be/8y_Gqe_L_KM
Got this done today at the dealer on my NX 2016. It was fine the first year of ownership, but this summer, I noticed the creaking a lot when the car was hot. If I drove through rough pavement it would rattle and creak. I just showed the service advisor Corrado’s video and that was it.
Old 09-04-18, 07:36 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

This was a great topic and I read every post....I've been surprised by the amount of noises produced by my 2015. I spent about an hour yesterday going for the low-hanginig fruit which really seems to have helped. This includes putting the rear centre arm rest down, fastening the rear belts, batting tape on the centre lap belt to hold it in place without rattling, and forgoing the use of the cargo cover and storing it below with the spare. While stowing the cargo cover I noticed that the jack and assorted metal parts were rubbing together, which I wrapped in foam. I've since driven over a variety of roads and has been blissfully quiet. Thanks for all of the tips!
Old 09-06-18, 08:10 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ptung07
I have a 2017 NX 300h AWD. Sometimes I noticed there is a "lag" or slowness in the Entune/Informant system. Like turning on the volume **** up or down, switching screens to different inputs, radio, etc there is a lag. 2-3 seconds. Anyone else notice this?
Yep. Slow like hell. 2015 NX200t.
Old 09-06-18, 08:11 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...d-quality.html

Otherwise, no, not many noises. Literally none, actually.
Old 09-06-18, 08:12 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Originally Posted by aztr0
Decided to take some time out to fix the subwoofer rattling myself today. I first got inside the back, close the door and listened to where the rattles were coming from. The main annoying subwoofer rattle was from the plastic tab that you can pry out and see the locking mechanism to the lift gate. There was a lot of "play" with that plastic. So like what I did with my license plate rattle, I used moleskin and mole foam. After the process, the main annoying subwoofer rattle issue I had was gone. Now there is a slight rattle inside the lift gate left hand bottom area where the lift gate curves. When I hold it gently, the rattle goes away. I'll have to address it another day. When I'm using plugged in music source, I can notice that bottom gate area rattle, but when I use BT source, I can't really hear it, so I can live with it for now.

Pried out the plastic tab and this is what you'll see. No felt or anything to prevent rattles.

As you can see here, Lexus thought adding these two small and thin felt stickers would address the rattling issues.

I cut out the mole foam for the surface, and cut moleskin for the surrounding walls. I also used a black marker to color in the skin tone material, so that I can hide it better. If you can find black moleskin or foam that would be great. Yes, I went overkill and just wanted to make sure this area won't make a peep of sound anymore.

So I thought I would use moleskin on these tabs on the top, but it didn't quite fit back in the slot, so I had to remove it. I did however, added more moleskin on the bottom tabs and wrapped it from front to the back of the tab.

This is the finished look. Yes, the fuzzy skin tone material is still a little visible after using a black marker, however, the rattling is gone completely from this area. I'm happy.
To be honest, it's a shame that owner has to do all this to a Lexus. SHAME.
Old 02-28-19, 01:34 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCDan
I noticed a slight rattle/ticking noise coming from the front passenger door. At first it was only above 40 mph but now it is at lower speeds as well and getting louder. When I press on the top of the door card, the sound seems to dissipate a lot but doesn't go away completely. It must be an ill-fitting door molding or a loose cable inside the door. I'll have the dealer check it out. It is really disappointing to hear this noise in a brand new Lexus NX. I was going to wait until my 5k service but it is starting to drive me crazy, I may have to deal with it before then.
i have the exact same thing...how did you fix it?
Old 07-27-19, 09:46 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

On take off and very low speeds I have a creaking from the rear? Sounds like making bushings , springs or breaks. If I push the car up and down at a stop though there’s no sound .

edit:

I think I have this

NHTSA ID: 10093538
TSB ID: L-SB-0089-15

Lsb: some 2015 model year nx 200t / nx 300h vehicles may exhibit a squeak noise which is heard coming from the rear of the vehicle while reversing or moving forward at low speeds with light braking usually after an overnight soak. to addres

Its new shims and breaks for the rear.

Interesting the TSB mentions a tool to find chassis squeaks https://www.steelmantools.com/chassisear.html

Last edited by GoPDemon; 07-29-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 10:54 AM
LouisV
Pit Crew

anyone hear a noise from their driver door going over bumps? it almost sounds like the lock or something.
Old 09-17-19, 10:13 AM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LBCDan
Update - I got my NX back from the dealership today after 2 and half days! Well, I wasn't crazy, there was an actual rattle in the door. The technician wrote "Road test found rattle noise coming from right front door striker. Slight clearance between front door striker and right front door latch, noise went away when pressed and applied pressure at right front door frame. Move and inspect door sticker and re-torque tighten to factory specification, road test and confirmed repair fixed problem." It is a little disappointing when a rattle is an issue in a brand new Lexus.

I want to do this myself and save the hassle of going to the dealer. How can I tighten the door on the NX? Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks
Old 01-10-20, 08:35 AM
btrscotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started noticing a noise coming from the heat vents when it's -20 or colder. The higher I turn on the setting in my vehicle the louder it becomes but if it's on the lowest setting there's no noise. Has anyone else noticed this?

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread