NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 06:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcak3s
I have the running boards but I still do notice the building up of dirt accumulation inside the doors. I will keep an eye out for it and report back as we are getting some snow here in 604 (crazy, I know!).
Good to know.

Lexus OEM Running Boards?

Old 01-05-16, 07:13 AM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following up on door seal

On my way to follow up on the door seal issue at Classic Lexus today. Was told from dealership they were unaware of the problem and any changes between the 2015 and 2016 models. Apparently there is at least one obvious change in the back door. The open channel on the 2015 door edge has been filled on the 2016 model with some type of plastic strip. Also was told by our salesperson that a call was made to a field engineer would happened to be a a meeting in Chicago with other field engineers. The engineers stated they had never heard of this problem.
I know others on this forum have contacted their dealerships as well as Lexus itself. How can the Lexus team not be aware of this problem? Is it possible they are turning a blind eye to the situation. I expect results from a luxury manufacturer and intend a relentless pursuit to this problem . I hope others on this forum do as well.
Old 01-05-16, 08:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by esynth
On my way to follow up on the door seal issue at Classic Lexus today. Was told from dealership they were unaware of the problem and any changes between the 2015 and 2016 models. Apparently there is at least one obvious change in the back door. The open channel on the 2015 door edge has been filled on the 2016 model with some type of plastic strip. Also was told by our salesperson that a call was made to a field engineer would happened to be a a meeting in Chicago with other field engineers. The engineers stated they had never heard of this problem.
I know others on this forum have contacted their dealerships as well as Lexus itself. How can the Lexus team not be aware of this problem? Is it possible they are turning a blind eye to the situation. I expect results from a luxury manufacturer and intend a relentless pursuit to this problem . I hope others on this forum do as well.
Surprising. Point him to this thread and Lexus Customer Service thread here.
Old 01-05-16, 10:36 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good to know.

Lexus OEM Running Boards?

Yup mine came with OEM running boards and hitch.

It just snowed a little bit and will be raining for the remainder of the day, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-05-16, 01:23 PM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

Default 1.05 16 follow up NX door seal

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have had the mud guards from Day 1 and snow got up there in the lower door.

The fix is holding up, no issues and continues to reduce the door snow accumulation.

For complete elimination of snow buildup, I believe the running boards will do the trick as some owners have stated, but not without the downside of being loud when rocks or debris hit it. They can chime in as desired.
Spent 4 hours at Classic Lexus Willoughby Hills OH. Spoke to the Service Mngr., General Mngr. and Lexus (on the phone). Submitted my own pictures of the problem and both managers also took pictures of my 2015 NX200t. Both the general mngr. and the service mngr. said they never heard of the problem before. Lexus (on the phone), also echoed that reply. I was left with the impression that I was the only costumer on the face of the planet who had said anything about this problem to anyone. It was highly stressed to me that it was more important for the costumer to file a complaint (by calling) Lexus National than for the dealership to do so. We both called and emailed.

Both service and general managers were unaware of the back door seal difference between the 15' and 16' models. They said they were not told of any differences but where convinced after they were shown (they took pictures of the 16' rubber insert vs the 15').

While getting the splashguards installed, I suggested to the service manager that he join this forum. He told me he had no interest in doing so because people on these types of forums only complain.

I have, and will continue to, forwarded all replies, pictures and information to all parties involved.

Although quite a long process, everyone was very polite and seemed interested and involved with my concerns.
Old 01-06-16, 06:49 AM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

Thinking about the fix for this and wondering if a different material such as EPDM rubber or neoprene may seal better. Why was vinyl the choice of material? Is it because of the softness vs stiffness? I'm not familiar with the differences of these "plastics".
Old 01-06-16, 07:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thinking about the fix for this and wondering if a different material such as EPDM rubber or neoprene may seal better. Why was vinyl the choice of material? Is it because of the softness vs stiffness? I'm not familiar with the differences of these "plastics".

I just bought what was easily available, low cost, with the objective of something that is known to be durable and that I can easily cut and mount, i.e. the garage door seal.
Old 01-06-16, 12:52 PM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

Just received a call from Lexus National Headquarters (1-800-255-3987) about the bottom door seal issue. When over the problem with the customer satisfaction rep and an engineer. They said they have no reports of this problem. Spoke to them about adding the rubber seal to the back door as well (channel along the edge) and was told they would have to get verification that it was possible on the 15', In short, the problem is all aesthetics.
I urge everyone with this issue to CALL Lexus , start a case. and get a case number if you want this resolved.
Old 01-08-16, 04:36 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Just thought I would post an update, since we've had snow here for a while now.

This is how things looked after my drive today.

Pictures are without implementing Corrado's suggested door seal fix.

Don't you just love winter driving?
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-front-door-002.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-013.jpg  
Old 01-08-16, 04:48 PM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

Did you open a case by calling Lexus? The number is 800-255-3987. Owners with this problem need to contact them by calling. You will then get a case number.
Old 01-08-16, 05:31 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

ewwww...that's gross...

when I tried calling Lexus about another issue, I was so frustrated. The person I spoke to wouldn't offer any help and said I need to go into service and have them recommend a fix before anything can be done.
Old 01-09-16, 04:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Kelmin
Just thought I would post an update, since we've had snow here for a while now.

This is how things looked after my drive today.

Pictures are without implementing Corrado's suggested door seal fix.

Don't you just love winter driving?
Yep typical "OEM" accumulation. The DIY seal will noticeably reduce that.
Old 01-09-16, 04:10 AM
esynth
Driver School Candidate

I also called Lexus. They called back a few days later saying "thanks for letting us know". The next day, I brought the door seal problem to the dealer along with pictures and posts from this forum. I started with the service manager and requested the general managed be involved too. They also took pictures and sent them to Lexus at that time. During our discussion, Lexus called me. I spoke to them and so did the general manager. Lexus applied the bottom door seal case to my previous case number. After returning home I received yet another Lexus call and spoke to the representative and an engineer. They told me it was an aesthetic problem but said they would look into it and try to get "permission" to apply the rear door edge seal to my 15' that was on the 16' model. They did not have the "power" to make that decision. I've heard nothing back yet.

Last edited by esynth; 01-09-16 at 04:13 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-09-16, 05:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I also called Lexus. They called back a few days later saying "thanks for letting us know". The next day, I brought the door seal problem to the dealer along with pictures and posts from this forum. I started with the service manager and requested the general managed be involved too. They also took pictures and sent them to Lexus at that time. During our discussion, Lexus called me. I spoke to them and so did the general manager. Lexus applied the bottom door seal case to my previous case number. After returning home I received yet another Lexus call and spoke to the representative and an engineer. They told me it was an aesthetic problem but said they would look into it and try to get "permission" to apply the rear door edge seal to my 15' that was on the 16' model. They did not have the "power" to make that decision. I've heard nothing back yet.
Good to see you got some visibility and response. Thing is, the rear door edge seal would only address dirt accumulating in the door's gap, but it's a start...
Old 01-21-16, 06:35 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I notified my dealer during my recent 8000 km service. They took some photographs and opened a CSM case. I hope to hear back from them but am doubtful any fix will be issued.

Quick Reply: DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX