NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Test drove a 300h today, now the wait!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 12:55 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Test drove a 300h today, now the wait!!

Well finally got to test drive a 300h today in the west suburbs of Chicago, both my wife and I loved the NX. Since this is going to be her car it was more for her, but I still loved it too. Too bad it wasn't in the color we wanted or we would have walked away with it in a heartbeat!!

Now, even though we have had our deposit in for some time we still are doing the waiting game for our 300h, hopefully it will show up soon. The wife had thought she wanted a Silver Lining Metallic with black interior, but after seeing that color along with the Matador Red Mica and the Atomic Silver, she decided that she now really wants the Matador Red Mica with all black interior. So, the dealer is on the hunt for one for us now.

I liked the power the 300h had in sport mode, and it drove really nice, on a very cold day in the Chicago area (5 F, windchill's in the -10's). It had the Nav Package and the Premium package, I think, on the one we test drove, and we liked how it was laid out and felt while driving.

If anyone is looking for a 300h, the one we test drove was in White with the Creme interior. They also had a 200t on the showroom floor in the Matador Red Mica with the Creme interior, but I don't know what options it had. If you want to know more just hit me up with a PM about the dealer and I will be glad to get you that information.

For comparison, she drives a '08 Camry Hybrid and I drive a '06 Prius. So neither of us have very sport or powerful cars right now. The 300h is very similar in power to her Camry Hybrid, but we both thought the NX actually felt like a lot more power even with the extra weight compared to her car. No comparison to my Prius and the NX for power (obviously). We only had a few miles and a short time in the NX but the ride and steering were very nice. This will be our first luxury car, so it seemed very nice to us from what we could see in our short time.

Can't wait to get my wife in her's as I will get the benefit of driving it on the weekends.

Thanks for all the helpful posts on this site, they have really helped us in our decision process so far.

Phil
Old 01-05-15, 01:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats! What options are you getting?

Post pics when you get it!
Old 01-05-15, 01:06 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

We are looking at the Nav Package and the Premium package, along with some of the dealer add-on stuff like paint protection and things like that. Nothing fancy, she is not a big bells and whistles person, that is me But still a big step up for us over what we have now in terms of quality of build, though we have no complaints on our current cars. Heck I just passed 133,000 miles on my Prius, and (knock-on-wood) it is going strong.

Phil
Old 01-05-15, 01:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Prius and Camry Hybrid are reliability tanks. Most common taxi vehicle in many major N.A. cities for a reason. . The NX builds on that with the extra refinement and build quality.
Old 01-05-15, 01:13 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Yea, have had both since their respective model years. She doesn't drive hers as much, she just over 60K miles on hers, so about 10K a year, give or take. No major problems on either (again, knock-on-wood), and hope the NX is the same, and I am sure it will be.

I also loved the room in the back seat, I am 6'1, 230lbs and I felt very comfortable back there. Overall just really like this car, love the styling, though we know that isn't for everyone.

We asked about special ordering ours, and they said we could, but 90-120 days, they figure they can get what we want sooner than that since we aren't really doing anything "special" on it for our area. Lets hope they are right!

Phil
Old 01-05-15, 05:54 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

One other thing I forget to say was how cool I thought it was that the TAC display changes when you go from ECO or NORMAL mode to SPORT mode on the 300h. In ECO/NORM it is the hybrid display, but when you go to SPORT mode it goes to a normal TAC. Just a cool feature but obviously not necessary.

Phil
Old 01-05-15, 06:13 PM
Phredcat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philwojo
Well finally got to test drive a 300h today in the west suburbs of Chicago, both my wife and I loved the NX. Since this is going to be her car it was more for her, but I still loved it too. Too bad it wasn't in the color we wanted or we would have walked away with it in a heartbeat!!

Now, even though we have had our deposit in for some time we still are doing the waiting game for our 300h, hopefully it will show up soon. The wife had thought she wanted a Silver Lining Metallic with black interior, but after seeing that color along with the Matador Red Mica and the Atomic Silver, she decided that she now really wants the Matador Red Mica with all black interior. So, the dealer is on the hunt for one for us now.

I liked the power the 300h had in sport mode, and it drove really nice, on a very cold day in the Chicago area (5 F, windchill's in the -10's). It had the Nav Package and the Premium package, I think, on the one we test drove, and we liked how it was laid out and felt while driving.

If anyone is looking for a 300h, the one we test drove was in White with the Creme interior. They also had a 200t on the showroom floor in the Matador Red Mica with the Creme interior, but I don't know what options it had. If you want to know more just hit me up with a PM about the dealer and I will be glad to get you that information.

For comparison, she drives a '08 Camry Hybrid and I drive a '06 Prius. So neither of us have very sport or powerful cars right now. The 300h is very similar in power to her Camry Hybrid, but we both thought the NX actually felt like a lot more power even with the extra weight compared to her car. No comparison to my Prius and the NX for power (obviously). We only had a few miles and a short time in the NX but the ride and steering were very nice. This will be our first luxury car, so it seemed very nice to us from what we could see in our short time.

Can't wait to get my wife in her's as I will get the benefit of driving it on the weekends.

Thanks for all the helpful posts on this site, they have really helped us in our decision process so far.

Phil
Welcome to *my* world of waiting! I wanted the 300h from the get-go, in the Matador Mica Red, but with the lighter interior. I was told by my dealer when their first allotments started coming in that the hybrids would be coming at a rate of about 1 for every 10 turbos, and that the red would be the "it" color. I've had a deposit with the dealer since last June. If all the details my dealer has provided me, *my* 300h was scheduled for manufacture on 12/28, and should be leaving Japan in a few days, and scheduled to arrive in the Port of Newark the first week of February. I've got the VIN and the MSRP sticker, so now all I need is my patience.

Hope your dealer finds what you want, and has something to swap for it. Checking the inventory of the 300h vehicles at my local Lexus dealers has shown me that the pickings are slim.
Old 01-06-15, 12:32 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

I was driving 04 Prius before changing to NX. I also had no issue with Prius other than normal wear and tear. This played a key part when I decided on NX.

Metador Mica Red is a beautiful car. I think this is one of those colors that look much better in person than in photos.
Old 01-06-15, 12:36 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Yea, I agree on the Matador Red Mica, my wife was sold on the Silver Lining Metallic up until yesterday when we say a 200t on the showroom floor in the Matador Red Mica, now she doesn't want anything else!!

We are keeping my Prius, just over 133,000 miles on it now, hope to get another 200,000 out of it before I give it up.

Phil