NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 01:29 AM
bikerida
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper

Got my nx 300h fire pearl agate on xmas eve. Chose the nx over the bmw x3 because lexus has a better record for reliability and I liked the "fresher" design of the nx. Not enough miles to determine fuel efficiency of it's hybrid engine but it is smooth and responsive so far. Have driven in a lot of stop n go traffic on the freeway due to holiday congestion but yesterday was able to hover around 75 mph. Have not gassed it yet but it's nice it takes regular gas. After doing research I decided against the paint sealant which the finance guy tried to get me to buy...90 percent of sites on web recommend ed against it. I always wash and wax my cars personally (mcguires gold class carnuba.) And park inside. Not decided on lojack yet. I do have interest in the paint film though--anyone have comment on the paint film protector? is it worth it? A bug deflector is not available for the nx and really only protects the leading edge of the bumper. Does paint film bubble in 100 degree plus weather?? Will it start to peel off the car? What is a fair price for the bumper, about 18 inches of hood and the mirrors?
Old 01-02-15, 04:01 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, yes, putting a clear bra on the car is absolutely worth it. I have put 3M on my camaro and Xpel on my wife's '15 IS350. I cover the entire front clip, along with the mirrors. If your installer (make sure they are a certified installer) does a good job, you will never know its there. Just make sure you take care of it (keep it clean, remove any particulate such as bug guts in hard sun light).

I do not advise you to get the factory option though. The reason is they cover on a small portion of the car. An aftermarket installer will be able to cover more area, and most of the time, will offer you a 10yr warranty (thus putting your concerns of bubbling and peeling to rest). If you want function over appearance, I would recommend doing some of the hood. If you want the car to look better, I would recommend doing ALL or none of the hood. Reason being, as you wax the car, you WILL get some wax buildup around the bra lines. And if its on your hood, it will easily be seen.

Your call, but I feel a clear bra is absolutely worth the money. That first rock "scratch" on the bra, you can just sit there and smile knowing the bra may be damaged, but you just saved yourself a rock chip, and the bra can be replaced. Its a great feeling. Just be willing to put out about 600+ to do the big nose of the NX excluding the hood, that will raise it probably 700+. When I get mine, I plan to do the entire nose up to the hoodline personally.

For example...find the clear bra....

Name:  IMG_2189_zps69b3bcc4.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  136.2 KB

Last edited by Swacer; 01-02-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

On darker painted vehicles such as yours and echoing Swacer, it is worth it for me especially if you put highway mileage on your vehicle. If you don't, based on experience, your beautiful dark Fire Agate Pearl's front end (bumper especially) will look like the moon's surface in a year.

I got the Paint Protection Film from the dealer thrown as part of the deal (it's $550, Lexus Canada) http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/configu...x#/accessories.

It is not visible 99% of the times - see my Obsidian NX below. You will only notice it if you're standing right next to the hood and looking hard for it at about 18" inward from the nose of the hood. In fact, my wife didn't want the film as she was worried the line would be visible and when we picked up the car, she forgot about the film because she didn't see it. When I showed her the fine line, she was impressed.

This doesn't cover the mirrors but I wouldn't worry about them since chips there are nowhere near as common as the front bumper.

Genuine Lexus paint protection film, designed for the hood and front fenders, helps guard your vehicle from weathering, UV radiation and road debris that can chip and scratch the finish. Constructed from durable, nearly invisible thermoplastic urethane, the clear-coated film helps your Lexus maintain a like-new appearance, while allowing you to clean and maintain your vehicle the same as before.
Backed by a 7 year limited warranty. At participating dealers only.
Edit: Note, this package is just the hood and side fenders. They also did my bumper, but I imagine would be an extra few $.
Attached Thumbnails is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper-bnxppf.jpg   is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper-nx_film.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-02-15 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 05:01 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
On darker painted vehicles such as yours and echoing Swacer, it is worth it for me especially if you put highway mileage on your vehicle. If you don't, based on experience, your beautiful dark Fire Agate Pearl's front end (bumper especially) will look like the moon's surface in a year.

I got the Paint Protection Film from the dealer thrown as part of the deal (it's $550, Lexus Canada) http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/configu...x#/accessories.

It is not visible 99% of the times - see my Obsidian NX below. You will only notice it if you're standing right next to the hood and looking hard for it at about 18" inward from the nose of the hood. In fact, my wife didn't want the film as she was worried the line would be visible and when we picked up the car, she forgot about the film because she didn't see it. When I showed her the fine line, she was impressed.

This doesn't cover the mirrors but I wouldn't worry about them since chips there are nowhere near as common as the front bumper.

Edit: Note, this package is just the hood and side fenders. They also did my bumper, but I imagine would be an extra few $.
Looks stunning man.

Making me incredibly jealous and wanting to pull the trigger soon.
Old 01-02-15, 05:33 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Thanks.

Pull the trigger, you'll have two hot cars!
Old 01-02-15, 08:31 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

It depends on how long you're going to keep the car.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, yes worth it for the years of accumulated rock chips and dings. If you're only keeping it for a short time, then no point as you'll never recoup that cost.

I have several vehicles, and I've only done it to a single vehicle, a sports car that is fairly low and prone to rock chips. I have not done it on my SUV's but have thought about it. It's not cheap.
Old 01-02-15, 09:34 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerida
Got my nx 300h fire pearl agate on xmas eve.
Would love to see photos of your Fire Agate Hybrid. It's a great color.

There is a thread at the top of the NX Models forum for showing off your new NX.

Please post!
Old 01-02-15, 10:09 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Thanks.

Pull the trigger, you'll have two hot cars!
Might be going to speak with my dealership this weekend. I am figuring I might have to order it in order to get the power lift gate. But we shall see.
Old 01-03-15, 03:29 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a clear bra on my 2IS going on 8 years now and it's still going strong. It doesn't usually hit 100 degrees down here in FL, but we do get some really humid summers. I also have the film applied to my head lights which has also kept them from yellowing/clouding up. Most people that see my car don't even notice until there's a clear bra on it, until they get up close and see the faint line going across the hood and first think it's a scratch.
Old 01-03-15, 03:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It is a MUST have.
Old 01-28-15, 12:35 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

For sure! Get it! They use good high quality stuff and you will be very happy as soon as the first rock hits your car and there is no paint chipped off. If you don't install it its only a matter of time before you are saying "I wish I would have done it"
Old 01-28-15, 04:21 PM
leej865
Driver

I have had this done on at least 4 vehicles over the last 10 years. Of the 3 times that a rock hit me...well, one hit the windshield and chipped it, one hit the hood just an inch past the clear bra and left a chip, and one hit the clear bra on the bumper and chipped the clear bra, but not the paint...problem was that then I had this chunk of clear bra plastic sticking up. I do not do as much highway driving now, so I am not spending the money.
Old 01-28-15, 06:15 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In recent years I always get the clear bra installed on my cars. It's saved me from many of those little stone chips over the years.
My NX was just done today while I watched the 3 1/2 hour job as he did the front of the hood, complete front bumper, all lights, and mirrors.
Old 05-11-15, 11:21 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple more questions regarding the clear bra.

We just brought our Nebula Pearl Gray NX home on Saturday and we opted for the clear bra on the mirros and on the leading edge of the fender and, I thought, the entire hood. Although I see it is just the first 15 to 20 inches of the hood is covered. I can see the line, but not an issue for me.

But DAMN, I think we got scammed. When we discussed the clear bra with the sales guys, I mentioned the $551 price from the Lexus.ca. He told us it was just for the front edge of the hood. The entire hood, mirrors and leading edge of the fender was $1388. At least I think he said it was the entire hood?? Regardless, that is a steep premium over the $551. I'm gonna call them regarding this.

Secondly, I see now the plastic bumper has large areas of vertical space that will be prime targets for rock chips etc. I am wondering if we should have gotten the bumper done as well. Thoughts?
Old 05-11-15, 12:05 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the bumper covered with the clear bra for sure. I even had all the front lights covered as well.
Everything facing the front of the car I had covered on my last 4 new vehicles.

Quick Reply: is paint film protection worth it for hood and bumper