NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 02:12 PM
LBCDan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course the best solution is for Lexus to change the design and move the license plate mounting bracket from the life gate to the rear bumper. It looks better anyway. Problem solved.
Old 09-30-15, 02:16 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCDan
Of course the best solution is for Lexus to change the design and move the license plate mounting bracket from the life gate to the rear bumper. It looks better anyway. Problem solved.
It costs a lot more money to put the license on the bumper, unless wasted space is what owners want.

Lexus has to accommodate the longer European (or any non-US-sized plates). The current design has extra space for non-US plates, but it blends in with the design.
Old 09-30-15, 08:36 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Lightbulb

Here's one I discovered yesterday (after three weeks of ownership). I read the manual in-depth, but still missed this one. Here's the link to the thread on it...

Setting the Default Screen on the Multi-Information Display

Old 10-01-15, 11:54 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if this was discovered/discussed already but I have a tip.

I've been finding a way to do this and I found this by accident.

Many times I find myself wanting to turn off the engine but not the entire car itself. Like a key ignition, I want to be able to cut off the engine but drop down to accessory power. This is useful when you don't want to cut off the radio or your talking to someone hands free but want to just park with the engine off.

I found that when you park, while you have your foot on the brake but before you put the drive selector in park you push the start/stop button and that will cut off the engine but put you in accessory mode. Then you can continue and put the drive selector in park.

what's also cool about this is that you stay in accessory power til you get out the car and then itself turns off automatically.
Old 10-01-15, 12:32 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by tresmith00
what's also cool about this is that you stay in accessory power til you get out the car and then itself turns off automatically.
Not completely true. You can stay in accessory mode for only 20 minutes before it shuts off.
Old 10-02-15, 03:03 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Not completely true. You can stay in accessory mode for only 20 minutes before it shuts off.
ok I've never had to stay in the car for that long.
Old 10-02-15, 11:46 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Had a NX200t as a loan car for a couple days. Here are some observations I had:

Good:
-Impressed by power of turbo-4.
-Steering feel isn't bad.
-Cool LED exterior door handles.
-Good height for easy getting in and out.
-Legroom wasn't bad for size of car.
-New Touchpad not too bad.
-Cool touch controls for interior LED lights.
-Intricate exterior light designs.
-HOLD feature and Auto Parking Brake.
-Nice seat design.

Bad:
-Extremely annoying rattle of license plate and its frame from playing music with bass through tailgate mounted subwoofer.
-Engine was louder and not as smooth or refined as expected.
-Wind noise at highway speeds
-Ventilated seats not working on back portion of seat (almost feels warmer than bottom portion).
-Cheap, horrible, hollow plastic around left driver air vent. Not impressed by silver painted stuff on center console. Hate the fake carbon fiber trim.
-Weird middle seatbelt coming from ceiling, and a buckle located in the middle of rear left seat.
-Shifter so far away from driver
-Needing to turn on HOLD feature every time car is started. Also the annoying beep when in HOLD mode too long.
-Extremely slow tailgate
-Awkward (non F-sport) exterior styling, especially at certain angles.
-All lights up front are LED, except high beams.

My dad was thinking of getting an NX, but I might have to recommend him to step up to the new RX.
Old 10-03-15, 12:30 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by dchar
-Weird middle seatbelt coming from ceiling, and a buckle located in the middle of rear left seat.
That was one of the first things I noticed when looking at the back seat--that third seat belt hanging out there. I later found that the seatbelt can be retracted up into the ceiling compartment, out of the way (and pretty much out of sight). The buckle can be tucked flush into the seat.
Old 10-03-15, 02:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad:
-Extremely annoying rattle of license plate and its frame from playing music with bass through tailgate mounted subwoofer.
-Engine was louder and not as smooth or refined as expected.
-Wind noise at highway speeds
-Ventilated seats not working on back portion of seat (almost feels warmer than bottom portion).
-Cheap, horrible, hollow plastic around left driver air vent. Not impressed by silver painted stuff on center console. Hate the fake carbon fiber trim.
-Shifter so far away from driver
-Needing to turn on HOLD feature every time car is started. Also the annoying beep when in HOLD mode too long.
-Extremely slow tailgate
-Awkward (non F-sport) exterior styling, especially at certain angles.
-All lights up front are LED, except high beams.

My dad was thinking of getting an NX, but I might have to recommend him to step up to the new RX.
Lets knock a few of these out....simply because most of these should be discussed

1. Plate rattle - I've never heard it. If it would bother you that much, go get some felt or moleskin and put it underneath. Problem solved.

2. Engine sound - lol There is no engine sound.

3. Noise at highway speed - AGREE

4. Ventilated Seats - I have an Fsport - N/A

5. Cheap plastic around vent - Never noticed this....hmmmm

6. Seat Belt coming from ceiling - Perhaps you don't drive many SUVs? Most I've driven have this.

7. Shifter is too far away - Are you short? I am 5'11" and have no issue.

8. Hold button Issue - Learn to use the brakes? It would be dangerous to have this option come on automatically when you start the car.

9. Slow tailgate - AGREE

10. Awkward angles - Your personal opinion

11. You must have had a base model, my triple beam head lights are LED high and low beam.

I would certainly agree it never hurts to look at the next car as I feel Lexus cut a few corners with the NX, which will be solved by the RX. However, given your gripes about the NX, I don't see justification to discount the NX if your father is interested.
Old 10-03-15, 09:28 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swacer
Lets knock a few of these out....simply because most of these should be discussed

1. Plate rattle - I've never heard it. If it would bother you that much, go get some felt or moleskin and put it underneath. Problem solved.

2. Engine sound - lol There is no engine sound.

3. Noise at highway speed - AGREE

4. Ventilated Seats - I have an Fsport - N/A

5. Cheap plastic around vent - Never noticed this....hmmmm

6. Seat Belt coming from ceiling - Perhaps you don't drive many SUVs? Most I've driven have this.

7. Shifter is too far away - Are you short? I am 5'11" and have no issue.

8. Hold button Issue - Learn to use the brakes? It would be dangerous to have this option come on automatically when you start the car.

9. Slow tailgate - AGREE

10. Awkward angles - Your personal opinion

11. You must have had a base model, my triple beam head lights are LED high and low beam.

I would certainly agree it never hurts to look at the next car as I feel Lexus cut a few corners with the NX, which will be solved by the RX. However, given your gripes about the NX, I don't see justification to discount the NX if your father is interested.
1) Short vid attached. You can hear it the whole time from the interior while you're driving. The volume level was at 12, bass level was at default middle, and this was FM radio (can't remember what song, just picked whatever song was playing on 102.7 but not super bass heavy). Not going to remedy it because it's just a loan car.

2) If you've driven any other Lexus with their smooth V6 or V8, you'd immediately notice the turbo-4 not being as smooth and quiet as those.

3) Looks like we agree on something

4) The ventilated seats aren't very effective, and the RC thread has people complaining about the issue of back not getting cool and even getting warmer rather than cooler. That's annoying that ventilated seats aren't available for the F-sport.

5) Touch these points recently?

This cheap looking plastic decorative trim that's trying to imitate carbon fiber isn't fooling anyone.

6) I've driven and ridden in many luxury SUVs and none of them had that hanging middle center seatbelt. Even the current RX doesn't have a hanging middle seatbelt. Lexus could've put this buckle in a better place. You can definitely feel the buckle when sitting in the left seat and someone in the middle.

7) I am not short, actually taller than you. It's just awkward to reach that far to use the shifter. Also, when their are tall drinks/bottles in the cupholders, it makes it more difficult to use manual mode on the shifter.

8) The HOLD feature is a convenience and I don't see why it would be dangerous to keep on. BMW allows it to remain on after restarting the car.

9) Another one we agree with!

10) That's true...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I think the F-sport improves the look dramatically.

11) I believe the loaner I had had the Premium package in addition to a few other things. I thought if the IS and new ES LED headlights (round design rather than L-design) could have LED high beams, then the NX should too. I think the the premium triple beam headlights is a must on this car!

My father will probably end up looking at the NX since it's cheaper than the new RX, but I have a feeling he would like the bigger size, smoother and more powerful engine, more luxurious interior, and more comfortable ride in the RX.
Attached Files

Last edited by dchar; 10-03-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-03-15, 09:55 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

One more bad discovery is the lack of puddle lamps or door courtesy lights. Every Lexus in the lineup have these, except the NX.
Old 10-03-15, 10:34 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

One more bad discovery is the lack of puddle lamps or door courtesy lights. Every Lexus in the lineup have these, except the NX.
My door handles light up.
Old 10-03-15, 10:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

My door handles light up.
I'm referring to lights that illuminate the ground.

Puddle lamps in mirrors (comes on automatically as you approach the car when locked, and comes on every time you unlock)

Door courtesy lights

Old 10-03-15, 11:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

My wife's uncle gave me a set to install on my Camaro for Christmas last year. I laughed at them, and then threw them into the closet because its a cheesy gimmick in my opinion. I list them as something it cool to say you have, but literally gain nothing by having them. If you face plant outside your car and claim "if I would have had those lights, this wouldn't have happened", you're lying to yourself lol

Last edited by Swacer; 10-03-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-03-15, 11:30 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

My wife's uncle gave me a set to install on my Camaro for Christmas last year. I laughed at them, and then threw them into the closet because its a cheesy gimmick in my opinion. I list them as something it cool to say you have, but literally gain nothing by having them. If you face plant outside your car and claim "if I would have had those lights, this wouldn't have happened", you're lying to yourself lol
Haha that's true...but wait until you step into a puddle that soaks your feet...or that time you drop something at night and can't see anything.

I bet your Camaro even has lights in the door that light up the floor...or maybe not. But that's the point of luxury cars, to have these little things. If they were a "gimmick" Lexus (the logo thing might be, but not having a light there) wouldn't be putting door courtesy lights on all their cars.

Last edited by dchar; 10-03-15 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)