NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 09:17 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
NX has a really deep and large nicely finished (felt-lined) glovebox. Easily fit the thick manual set, a laptop, and a kleenex box.
Agreed. I noticed that, too when I was in the dealership the other day. At that time, the manual sets were put inside and still have lots of space. And the fully felt-lined glovebox reminds me of 1st gen IS.

Of course the 1st gen IS glove box was much less refined as it doesn't have damping when you open it. All you hear is a big thud. LOL
Old 01-08-15, 01:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Thumbs up 200t - 91 Octane Required - Less is "OK" on occasion...

AndyL, indeed the large felt-lined glovebox is a nice feature!

Speculation is now put to rest, here's the official statement on fuel requirements.
91 is required but lower is fine on occasion. Key thing is prolonged lower octane usage can damage the engine - symptoms being prolonged engine knocking and serious loss of power.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_fuel.jpg  
Old 01-08-15, 07:59 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
S-FLOW is available in NX sold in Canada? That is nice. Lexus has decided to skip S-FLOW in IS probably because of cost as S-FLOW is available in IS (and GS) for some other countries.
Yes, S-FLOW is on the GS in the US.
Old 01-08-15, 08:46 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
S-FLOW is available in NX sold in Canada? That is nice. Lexus has decided to skip S-FLOW in IS probably because of cost as S-FLOW is available in IS (and GS) for some other countries.
Understandable. I don't really see the significance of this feature and wouldn't pay extra for it... They could have accomplished the same thing with a manual switch for the rear ducts in IS. Are there rear floor vents in NX?
Old 01-09-15, 05:15 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
So the sound quality with an iPod is not so good? I was wondering because I saw they moved away from the Mark Levinson system in the NX for something completely different. The ML system in my GS is outstanding and I love the car, but I really like the NX interior and utility. Would love feedback. Maybe there's a thread on the sound system and I missed it?
I test drove the NX last month and I was kind of disappointed with the sound system.

the bass speaker in the back rattled the car alot on higher volumes. made the car feel like it wasn't put together well.

nothing better than a system with tight, rattle-free bass...unfortunately the NX does not have it.
The following users liked this post:
Grahaminat (12-07-18)
Old 01-09-15, 01:14 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I test drove the NX last month and I was kind of disappointed with the sound system.

the bass speaker in the back rattled the car alot on higher volumes. made the car feel like it wasn't put together well.

nothing better than a system with tight, rattle-free bass...unfortunately the NX does not have it.

I noticed that rattling sound too when I tried out the sound system in a 200T with Luxury package (10 speakers)...apparently what was causing that rattling sound was the vibration from the rear license plate but I guess once you screw the bottom part of the plate that rattling sound should go away. Our Volvo XC60 had way better sound than the NX despite having only 8 speakers but I didn't buy the NX for the sound system but rather for the other features. I just expected a bit more or better sound system for a $50K vehicle!
Old 01-09-15, 04:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Fog / Humidity Detection Sensor

Fog or high humidity is detected thanks to this device mounted high on the windshield. When in "Auto" mode on your HVAC, the system will automatically adjust to eliminate or prevent a foggy windshield from occurring.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_fog.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_fog2.jpg  
Old 01-09-15, 05:00 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
AndyL, indeed the large felt-lined glovebox is a nice feature!

Speculation is now put to rest, here's the official statement on fuel requirements.
91 is required but lower is fine on occasion. Key thing is prolonged lower octane usage can damage the engine - symptoms being prolonged engine knocking and serious loss of power.
I was wondering about this one. I will stick to premium, but wondering on the occasions where I'd forget given that I've always used unleaded gas with lower octane all my life. Thanks corrado for the nice find!
Old 01-10-15, 03:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default VIN, Tire Pressure, Phone Slot, Cup Holders

VIN placards are not only on the door frame, but one is found under the front passenger seat.

Tire Pressure: 32 psi for the 18" tires, 35 psi for the 17"

Phone slot is slightly inclined downward toward the front of the NX with a rubber grip pad to ensure your phone, notepad, etc doesn't fall out. It's about 2" deep.

Cup Holders: the three "prongs" are the secret to securing and allowing for a one-handed plastic bottle-cap opening operation. They are spring loaded and push in for larger bottles.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_vin.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_tire.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_tray.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_cups.jpg  
Old 01-10-15, 06:37 AM
sosobri805
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekbiss
I noticed that rattling sound too when I tried out the sound system in a 200T with Luxury package (10 speakers)...apparently what was causing that rattling sound was the vibration from the rear license plate but I guess once you screw the bottom part of the plate that rattling sound should go away. Our Volvo XC60 had way better sound than the NX despite having only 8 speakers but I didn't buy the NX for the sound system but rather for the other features. I just expected a bit more or better sound system for a $50K vehicle!
+1

My heart dropped when i heard the rattling on my first day with the NX, but it is true the license plate frame is the main cause. Once solved I had my bass and mid's bumped up and the rattling was gone, music to my ears.
Old 01-10-15, 07:39 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sosobri805
+1

My heart dropped when i heard the rattling on my first day with the NX, but it is true the license plate frame is the main cause. Once solved I had my bass and mid's bumped up and the rattling was gone, music to my ears.
+1, Same Here
Old 01-10-15, 01:52 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealers should know about that and tighten things up prior to delivery.
Old 01-11-15, 06:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile Puddle Lamps and Door Handle Lighting

LED puddle lights exist underneath each of the four door handles which light up the ground very well upon approach (with key fob on you).

Pics taken in total darkness to clearly show how bright the LEDs light up the handles and ground!
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_puddle1.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_puddle2.jpg  
Old 01-11-15, 06:46 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the puddle lights photo, Corrado. That is a nice upgrade from the RX as the RX lights are only under the side mirrors (as you well know). Also, with the RX the rear passengers don't really benefit from the lights under the side mirrors.
Old 01-11-15, 10:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Still not sure how I feel about this turbo spin down time. I'm wondering, is this because Lexus didn't put a big enough cooling system in teh car? Or is that we need a large aftermarket intercooler?

I've personally never seen a boosted car require that.

However, my father's 7.0L powerstroke diesel requires a spindown time (single turbo), but that is only after towing 10,000+ lbs on highway for a long period of time.

hmmm
I wouldn't put too much stock or worry into it. Toyota/Lexus products have historically had odd messages or things to do to keep the vehicle maintained or running properly. My Tacoma has a visor mounted message instructing me to engage 4WD on a monthly basis and drive 6 miles to keep things working properly. Never saw that on a Ford , Chevy or Dodge.

Normal city driving requires 20 seconds, i doubt most owners will ever even know about this. For those who are doing 50mph its very rare to all of a sudden get off a freeway and then within three minutes shut off the engine.

I'm sure the Audi or MBs require it as well but they do not ever mention it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-15 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)