NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 07:54 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headrests are part of the collision safety equipment. The dealer and Lexus will work with owners to provide reasonable accommodation to ensure they fit properly. There may be some costs associated, but I am sure if just a matter of swapping headrests, they will work with you. Just ensure you are clear with them that your issue is related to safety first and then comfort, not just comfort.

Last edited by My0gr81; 07-17-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 08:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The headrests are part of the collision safety equipment. The dealer and Lexus will work with owners to provide reasonable accommodation to ensure they fit properly. There may be some costs associated, but I am sure if just a matter of swapping headrests, they will work with you. Just ensure you are clear with them that your issue is related to safety first and then comfort, not just comfort.
Good points to remember. I agree that the dealer will probably help out as much as possible.

I think most manufacturers refer to them as head restraints vs. headrests.
Old 07-17-15, 02:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Sure. Though I would also argue that comfort and safety go hand in hand in this particular case. If the driver is uncomfortable and focused on this, it becomes a distraction and safety concern.
Old 07-17-15, 03:29 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sure. Though I would also argue that comfort and safety go hand in hand in this particular case. If the driver is uncomfortable and focused on this, it becomes a distraction and safety concern.
I'm waiting for someone to actually try an F-Sport headrest in a non-F NX. I would settle for the black ones (with my Creme interior) if they fit! I would appreciate the ability to adjust them forward/back.
Old 07-19-15, 04:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I'm waiting for someone to actually try an F-Sport headrest in a non-F NX. I would settle for the black ones (with my Creme interior) if they fit! I would appreciate the ability to adjust them forward/back.
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow. I'll see if there's an NX in the showroom, but they're under renos so can't promise it.
Old 07-19-15, 04:45 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow. I'll see if there's an NX in the showroom, but they're under renos so can't promise it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-15, 07:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile IS F Sport Headrest Can Work

As luck has it, there was an NX non-F Sport in the showroom! A good thing I also brought the IS F Sport headrest since this is the one that results in the most comfort. The NX F Sport's bulkier width negates the gains of being in the back-most position resulting in a similar position to the fixed NX headrest. In short, pics speak volumes and I also personally sat in each of the three scenarios. Results:

1. NX headrest: head touching - head feels tilted, neck is in an uncomfortable position.
2. NX F Sport headrest: about 1/8-1/4" space improvement - not enough - still felt bothersome.
3. IS F Sport headrest: no touching since it is further back by about a more comfortable 3/4".

Hope this helps anyone who is bothered by the NX's headrest. On a downside though, in speaking with the SA this morning, these headrests are pricey ($1K each in Canada ) but you never know your dealer could work something out.

PS, this is an interesting discovery, right?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-20-15 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ineedaname (04-28-24)
Old 07-20-15, 10:39 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

So, for those of us who adjust our seats in such a way that we wish the headrest was forward a bit (yep, we're out there!), the F-Sport version might be an improvement.

Really, really appreciate what you did here! I am not, however, spending many hundreds or even thousands of dollars on this!
Old 07-20-15, 11:22 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, silly question, but why don't you just slide your headrests up/down to find a position that is comfortable?
Old 07-20-15, 11:29 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
Umm, silly question, but why don't you just slide your headrests up/down to find a position that is comfortable?
Many people (myself not included) find that the horizontal (forward/back) axis of the headrest is too far forward, and on non F-Sport headrests there is no adjustment in the horizontal axis.
Old 07-20-15, 11:36 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Many people (myself not included) find that the horizontal (forward/back) axis of the headrest is too far forward, and on non F-Sport headrests there is no adjustment in the horizontal axis.
I realize that the head rests don't have a horizontal adjustment and agree that the angle could have been improved.

Therefore, with our NX, I just slid the headrest up a half inch and that gained me a little more space. Then again, I am only 5'9", so I can see this being more of a problem for the taller drivers.
Old 09-12-15, 08:31 AM
loriwass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my NX a few days ago and have noticed the same thing. When I took delivery, the guy told me that what some people do is pull out the headrest and turn it around--although that defeats the purpose of the whiplash protection. For now, I'm still experimenting with all the combinations on the seat controls. I know that when I test drove it, the head rest didn't bother me. I had a MB sedan once and I absolutely could not find a good seat position in that car!
Old 09-12-15, 09:02 AM
ronslexus
Driver

If you recline you seat back a little, it is fine.
Old 09-16-15, 08:00 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

But some of us don't like the seat leaning back a little. I never noticed this problem when I took the NX for a test drive, but even when I sit in my car, my head doesn't hit the head protector, but I think what happens is that my brain knows where it's at and therefore kicks my head forward. I feel the tightness in my shoulders and neck after I drive for a half hour or more. It's frustrating. I guess I'll have to stop in and visit the dealer. I've tried to blame it on other things, but it's the car.
Old 09-16-15, 11:10 AM
ronslexus
Driver

I don't have that problem. I am 5'9" tall. Maybe a taller person has more problems. Have driven mine on 2-3 hour trips and find seats and headrest to be very comfortable. I tried it out a lot before buying since I have a sciatica problem from an old injury.

Hope you find a solution for yours.

Quick Reply: NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)