NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus increasing NX production

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 01:39 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus increasing NX production

FYI according to the news article I just read Lexus is increasing NX production from 8,000/mo to 10,000/mo starting in January in order to accommodate high global demand. Not sure how extra 2,000 will be distributed but I hope this will end up helping those of you waiting for better deal on NX.

I did not post the link since the article is in Japanese.
Old 12-23-14, 02:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Makes sense and was waiting for this announcement. They will now be maxed out at 120k units per year at the Miyata plant in Japan, which means the execs are already lining up expansion plans. They mentioned a while back they can leverage some plants globally like Canada's Cambridge plant that produces the Rav4 with some retooling to accommodate the NX build.
Old 12-23-14, 09:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Makes sense and was waiting for this announcement. They will now be maxed out at 120k units per year at the Miyata plant in Japan, which means the execs are already lining up expansion plans. They mentioned a while back they can leverage some plants globally like Canada's Cambridge plant that produces the Rav4 with some retooling to accommodate the NX build.
it does not work like that though, if you look at what takes to do a Lexus in Kentucky, it is long process and I was surprised that production techniques are actually different, so it requires new training in Lexus production.

Good job for NX though.
Old 12-24-14, 06:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it does not work like that though, if you look at what takes to do a Lexus in Kentucky, it is long process and I was surprised that production techniques are actually different, so it requires new training in Lexus production.

Good job for NX though.
For sure, it wouldn't happen overnight.

The "plans" I'm referring to is pre-implementation feasibility studies on how/where to increase production. There is even talk about reducing HS and Sai hybrid production at Miyota to further ramp up NX production, again if it makes sense.