NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 09:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
My car is identical (red) to Phil's with the BSM. After your above statement I checked my color matching. I think you're splitting hairs as far as the color match. You would need to look hard, very hard, to detect any difference in the Lexus supplied BSM and the car color. I don't think the photos do the match justice due to shadowing, and your opinion is based on the photos.
If it was that critical Lexus would build the cars with the BSM attached and painted at the same time as the car at the factory.

I'd hate to think of the cost and work involved in having a paint shop color match the parts as you suggested.
My opinion isn't based on the picture, because to be honest, I never looked at it. Don't need to in order to state what I stated.

$5 says that your car and someone else's cars are not identical. Lexus is victim to their paint manufacturer who has a paint tolerance on color and texture, and if its within that range, Lexus buys it. Thats just how manufacturing of paint works. There will be a slight variation in the paint color, and anyone with a sharp eye will see it. Is it an issue? No, not for most people.

You should also keep in mind that a paint color will vary dependent upon the surface it is painted on. The same paint, painted on plastic and steel, will offer a different shade in sunlight. thats just a known fact. Thats why if you get plastic painted afterward, you have a professional painter match the panels, and you'll find they actually had to create a second batch in order to get a perfect match.

Dont' think for a second because its a LEXUS, that they are immune to these issues. They aren't.

There is....it looks ok. And then there is, I'll spend the money to make sure its done perfect. Just depends which you are.
Old 02-11-15, 11:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
My opinion isn't based on the picture, because to be honest, I never looked at it. Don't need to in order to state what I stated.

There is....it looks ok. And then there is, I'll spend the money to make sure its done perfect. Just depends which you are.
It appears you have an NX on order. I can't wait to see the photos of your perfect custom painted BSM when you spend the money for the perfect job. We won't really need to look at any photos of your BSM because they will be a "perfect" color match, because you say they are !
Old 02-11-15, 12:09 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

It appears you have an NX on order. I can't wait to see the photos of your perfect custom painted BSM when you spend the money for the perfect job. We won't really need to look at any photos of your BSM because they will be a "perfect" color match, because you say they are !
Not sure why there is sarcasm when I am giving you fact. I come from experience, both on the painting end and customer end.

Plus, as I mentioned above, I'd never put those ugly things on mine
Old 02-11-15, 01:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

@Swacer
@4482

Let's respect others' differing opinions and keep the comments professional.
Old 02-11-15, 01:36 PM
Lead Lap

Plus, as I mentioned above, I'd never put those ugly things on mine
I'm sorry to have debated the issue with you Swacer not knowing you were not getting the BSM.
Old 02-12-15, 04:53 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Alright Alright...my last comment was a "knife to gut" comment. My apologies.

the paint information is factual though.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-12-15 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 05:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry to have debated the issue with you Swacer not knowing you were not getting the BSM.
BSM = Blind Spot Monitoring.

I think you mean body side molding lol
Old 02-12-15, 04:26 PM
Lead Lap

BSM = Blind Spot Monitoring.

I think you mean body side molding lol
You are correct in your thinking.

BSM = body side molding

BSM w/RCTA = Blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert

Last edited by 4482; 02-12-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 04:59 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having the BSMs installed on my NX next weekend by the dealer, $199 total, as well as the mud guards ($150). I'll try to post pics thereafter.
Old 03-14-15, 06:20 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got some for my CT on Juiced Hybrid but no dice yet for the NX. PERFECT color match on mine. -grey nebula-

As for having a paint shop make a perfect match - good luck. 6 of one , half dozen of the other......
Old 03-14-15, 06:52 AM
papa214
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
I'm having the BSMs installed on my NX next weekend by the dealer, $199 total, as well as the mud guards ($150). I'll try to post pics thereafter.
Please post pic when u do. i'm thinking of getting mud guards also.
Also can anybody suggest a product to put on the molding around the wheel wells. something to make them nice and shiny just like when u pic the car up new @ the dealer...
thx
Old 03-14-15, 07:49 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by papa214
Also can anybody suggest a product to put on the molding around the wheel wells. something to make them nice and shiny just like when u pic the car up new @ the dealer...
thx
I use Turtle Wax Ice that can be used on both the car and the black plastic trim.
Old 03-15-15, 09:40 AM
papa214
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Turtle Wax Ice that can be used on both the car and the black plastic trim.
thx, ill give it a try.
Old 03-16-15, 04:03 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thx
WIPE NEW......I use this on all plastics , headlights too. Works great but leaves all plastic shiny if the plastic has a flat finish and you like it that way - use something else. I used this on my window deflectors and they came out amazing - not one scratch shows. It lasts unlike sprays this has been on my car for over a year now.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...433ee68.v1.jpg
Old 03-22-15, 04:39 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is my NX now that both the moldings and the mud guards are installed. I think they're both awesome!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?