NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Real World Fuel Economy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 08:51 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Over 2000 miles now on the car, and my daily drive is 40 miles round trip on backroads and I get 28-29mpg.
Wow, man. I figured with your weekend toy as a gauge, you'd be a lead foot...LOL.

This is really good. My wife commutes 45 miles a day to work (30 miles are on the interstate), with cruise set at 65 (so she says) and we are hovering around 25.7 after 5 fill ups.

She says she's babying it. When I drive it on the weekends around town, I DO baby it and we aren't getting the mileage you are. Typically set at Normal or Eco...no Sport mode, yet.

What's your secret?
Old 07-09-15, 09:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Wow, man. I figured with your weekend toy as a gauge, you'd be a lead foot...LOL.

This is really good. My wife commutes 45 miles a day to work (30 miles are on the interstate), with cruise set at 65 (so she says) and we are hovering around 25.7 after 5 fill ups.

She says she's babying it. When I drive it on the weekends around town, I DO baby it and we aren't getting the mileage you are. Typically set at Normal or Eco...no Sport mode, yet.

What's your secret?
Ha, because the Camaro is the toy, I'm much easier on the other car. I've put 200miles on my nittos and you can already see wear on the rears. I enjoy a good 5500RPM shift from time to time haha. The Camaro I average 13-15. With my cam next year, I am figuring 7-9mpg lol.

I was having this exact discussion with my wife in regards to gas mileage. My entire drive to work out and back is back roads and a partial main road (55mph) and I range speeds from 25-60mph. I only stop...hmm....5 times on average (stop lights and 2 stop signs). I usually keep a safe distance from the car in front of me (not for safety reasons...I just don't want chips....) so that way I ease onto and off of the gas.

I drive the car in normal all the time on the way to work 23 miles, and will drive most of the way home in normal, and usually spend the last 5 miles or so in sport. I usually get 28mpg going to work, and get back up to 29mpg on the way back home (which means I'm probably in the 30 range on the way home).

My thoughts are this for gas mileage. Since I drive backroads and utilize very little boost, the engine is relatively lax and doing very little work. When you're on the highway however, you're always utilizing the turbo because that little 4 cylinder needs the help. Thus, you are doing more work than I am, even though a highway should actually be easier on the car. Thus, I think by getting onto the highway, I will see LESS gas mileage than I see now. I will be putting that to the test in a couple months when my wife and I take the car out for a road trip across the state. I'll report back on my findings on that.
Old 07-09-15, 04:07 PM
D4V1D
Driver

My thoughts are this for gas mileage. Since I drive backroads and utilize very little boost, the engine is relatively lax and doing very little work. When you're on the highway however, you're always utilizing the turbo because that little 4 cylinder needs the help. Thus, you are doing more work than I am, even though a highway should actually be easier on the car. Thus, I think by getting onto the highway, I will see LESS gas mileage than I see now.
Sounds reasonable, I suppose.

I will be putting that to the test in a couple months when my wife and I take the car out for a road trip across the state. I'll report back on my findings on that.
I am interested in your results.
Old 07-13-15, 07:26 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9000KS and now at 8.8 Liters per 100 Ks that works out to 26.72 MPG US and 32.10 in Canadian Gallon

Very satisfied on all accounts with this NX200T
Old 07-17-15, 12:31 PM
dadofahusk
Rookie

interesting idea for us to try. Yesterday, i drove from CT to NJ. Going I used ECO, coming home, Sport. I saw no noticeable difference in gas mileage, but, conditions were not identical both way due to traffic etc. Maybe a few of us can try the same thing and report back. PS- 30 MPG going to NJ in ECO, 29 coming home in sport but with much more stop and go. Also, do you all know that if you go into info, and then to fuel consumption, then to trip information, you can see real time mpg as well as each minute of the current trip?
Old 08-04-15, 08:27 AM
NXJohnC
Driver School Candidate

Smile mpg

I just got my NX200t in mid July. Was averaging 23mph in mixed driving. I took it on a 200 mile trip and I did 30.1 mpg. The car has about 1000 miles on it.
Old 08-04-15, 09:39 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Just completed my first 500 kilometers. I averaged 9.5L/100km normal driving (no intentional babying) which is about 25mpg. It is quite economical in the city but not so much on the highway relative to non-turbo Lexus models. The gap between hwy and city fuel economy ratings is much narrower than on my IS250 where I saw around 10.5L/100km in the city but 7.5L/100km on the highway. The NX, in the short amount of hwy driving I did, averaged about 8.5L/100km on the hwy. Overall, I think I will see a fuel economy gain with the NX over the IS250 since I'm mostly city driving.
Old 08-23-15, 06:45 AM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I had my first full up. I travelled 490 km and had 1/4 tank left. The trip computer said 9 L/100 km but the actual math was 8.8 L/100 km.

This was 95% commuting over major roads and occasional stop and go. I would call it more highway than city driving though definitely combined driving.

My driving mode was normal/Eco. Currently my NX F Sport is set to be in normal though changes to Eco under constant velocity and back to normal under acceleration.

I know this is only one fill up, but for my general commute the NX is approximately 1.5 L/100 km better than my Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart which was also a 2 L turbo. I am pleased.
Old 08-27-15, 11:16 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was at about 12L/100km before my first fill up after picked it up from the dealer. I suspect it's because of lots of idling while trying to figure out the car.

Currently at 10.2L/100km, about half way through my first fill up under normal mode and normal driving conditions; approximately 30% highway and 70% city.
Old 08-30-15, 08:18 AM
unisat
Driver School Candidate

Default Disappointed with my MPG

I have 2013 lexus es300h with new spark plugs and no problems of mechanical or electric nature.

oil changed one month ago together with filter. Oxygen sensor reading is normal.

tires are michline pricy and 33 psi for all tires.

100 % city driving

can not get better than 27 mpg>

This is really way below what lexus claims to be 40 mpg city driving.

Please opine

Thank you
Old 08-30-15, 12:14 PM
MoJ
Driver School Candidate

Default CA Coast Trip 25.3mpg

1,300 miles from San Diego to Sonoma with my 200t -- 60/40 mix of highway and city (lots of CA-1/Pacific Coast Highway).

VERY pleased with that number!

Last edited by MoJ; 08-30-15 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added model
Old 08-31-15, 04:19 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unisat
I have 2013 lexus es300h with new spark plugs and no problems of mechanical or electric nature.

oil changed one month ago together with filter. Oxygen sensor reading is normal.

tires are michline pricy and 33 psi for all tires.

100 % city driving

can not get better than 27 mpg>

This is really way below what lexus claims to be 40 mpg city driving.

Please opine

Thank you
Lexus claims 40/39........I know my CT200h gets more than its advertised 42mpg in the summer and about that in the winter. A lot depends on the roads you travel. Here its extremely hilly and get an easy 44mpg. ...(summer)
...Bring the car in for an inspection something is wrong. http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/es300h look up your car it should be getting 36 + ....also try a few more lbs of air in the tires -gauges all vary-. Check the trunk for a body too.
Old 09-14-15, 03:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally had the chance to take the car out on a road trip to central PA. Overall, the trip was 250 miles each direction of UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN roads on 79 and 80.

On way there, Gas mileage on the highway, in ECO, about 74-75mph in moderate to heavy rain..... 24.7mpg

Once I was off the highway and driving around town, it increased the average to 25.1mpg before the tank was empty. If my math was right, that means around town I was getting 27-28mpg.

On way home, Gas mileage on highway, in ECO, about 74-75 mph in light to no rain, going against the slip stream.....24.3mpg

Most of the time on the highway the turbo was either making positive boost or sitting with the waste gas practically shut. I think this proves my theory that the usage of the turbo is what hurts the mpg more than anything, and my drive to work, which doesn't really require any boost, is why I'm able to get 30mpg to and from work.

I'm a little disappointed by the drastic drop in mpg on the highway, but meh, don't really care. lol
Old 09-14-15, 04:53 AM
D4V1D
Driver

I'm a little disappointed by the drastic drop in mpg on the highway, but meh, don't really care. lol
Normal trip to work for my wife is 22.5 miles, one way. 14 are highway.

Average MPG is 26.2...in the area of what you experienced. But, our city driving takes ours down...and quickly. Maybe 10-15% lower for a tank of moderate city use.
Old 09-21-15, 05:26 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

not so much an MPG point, but a miles per tank...way too few. I find myself constantly going to the gas station to fill up. I feel like the tank is too small. 300+ miles per tank just doesnt seem to compete these days. And, i cannot stand that my low fuel light waits until i have about 18 miles left before empty.

Quick Reply: Real World Fuel Economy Thread