Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default ClubLexus Review: NX200t F Sport

The review is up

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...0t-f-sport.php

In the face of a burgeoning market for compact luxury crossovers--and encroaching competition from the Germans--Lexus has introduced what it hopes will be the company's next smash hit. The NX slots neatly into the Lexus stable, just under the marque's category-owning RX, and is expected to draw the lion's share of its sales from first-time luxury buyers.

There's a lot of buzz around the NX--from in and outside the company--and it's expected to capture a significant share of the market. So calling it important for the brand is quite an understatement. ClubLexus got to drive pre-production models during the press launch back in June, but this was our first chance to see how it handled a week in the real world. Read on to see how it held up.

Old 10-02-14, 01:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

With a potential starting price of close to $30k, the NX200t
is this supposed to be $40k? Otherwise, great review.
Old 10-02-14, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i expect the starting price of the nx to be very close to 30k. hopefully a relatively loaded one to be high 30s. otherwise it's stepping into rx
Old 10-02-14, 11:33 AM
DougNuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i expect the starting price of the nx to be very close to 30k. hopefully a relatively loaded one to be high 30s. otherwise it's stepping into rx
Interesting. I hope you're right, but I'll be surprised if the NX starts below $35k. A limited Rav4 is over $30k. There will undoubtedly be major price overlap between the NX and RX.
Old 10-02-14, 11:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

NX has been priced slightly above IS, worldwide... it is not going to be priced at CT200h money.
Why would you think that NX200t would cost as little as CT200h? Base models are also much better equipped than CT...I say 37k with destination.

I believe thats in line with Canadian pricing as well, it has been announced already.
Old 10-02-14, 12:30 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 566 Likes on 388 Posts

Nice review! It'd be nice to see that Qi charger appear in other Lexus models, but given that most phones don't offer Qi charging without add-ons, I don't see that happening too fast
Old 10-02-14, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Interesting. I hope you're right, but I'll be surprised if the NX starts below $35k. A limited Rav4 is over $30k. There will undoubtedly be major price overlap between the NX and RX.
Originally Posted by spwolf
NX has been priced slightly above IS, worldwide... it is not going to be priced at CT200h money.
Why would you think that NX200t would cost as little as CT200h? Base models are also much better equipped than CT...I say 37k with destination.

I believe thats in line with Canadian pricing as well, it has been announced already.
imho rav4 is larger and also drives larger than the nx. in some way i would put rav4 between nx and rx

ct is a hybrid, lexus always has a premium on hybrid. if the nx starts at 37k i personally think it's high. but at this point it's everyone's guess. don't forget the rx starts 40k and gx starts 49k.

we will see soon enough
Old 10-02-14, 04:55 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

imho rav4 is larger and also drives larger than the nx. in some way i would put rav4 between nx and rx

ct is a hybrid, lexus always has a premium on hybrid. if the nx starts at 37k i personally think it's high. but at this point it's everyone's guess. don't forget the rx starts 40k and gx starts 49k.

we will see soon enough
Not questioning your perception as you were the one to drive it but based soley on the published dimensions, your comment is interesting since they both share the same 104.7 wheelbase which (in theory) would have them drive similar (turning, riding, etc).

Here are the dimension details I located:
  • The RAV4 is 65.4" and the NX is 64.8" (so the NX is less than an inch shorter)
  • The width of the RAV4 is actually IDENTICAL @ 72.6"
  • The NX @ 182.3 is actually LONGER than the RAV4 that is only 179.9" long

Last edited by bunka; 10-02-14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 04:58 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up Henry! I like all the reference to other vehicles etc you used and really fell like I know the NX better than ever now. Happy to read about rear legroom being decent and the comparisons to the IS you made are quite the compliment to the NX.

I know you commented that over 40 it felt good for pick up etc, but did you have it out long enough to gauge how it would be on long highway trips, or long drives up a mountain for skiing etc?
Old 10-02-14, 05:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bunka
Not questioning your perception as you were the one to drive it but based soley on the published dimensions, your comment is interesting since they both share the same 104.7 wheelbase which (in theory) would have them drive similar (turning, riding, etc).

Here are the dimension details I located:
  • The RAV4 is 65.4" and the NX is 64.8" (so the NX is less than an inch shorter)
  • The width of the RAV4 is actually IDENTICAL @ 72.6"
  • The NX @ 182.3 is actually LONGER than the RAV4 that is only 179.9" long
yes i understand, it was a weird feeling too. i don't know if it is because of insulation or different design / color, but i do agree it's more of a perception.

Originally Posted by TripleL
Great write up Henry! I like all the reference to other vehicles etc you used and really fell like I know the NX better than ever now. Happy to read about rear legroom being decent and the comparisons to the IS you made are quite the compliment to the NX.

I know you commented that over 40 it felt good for pick up etc, but did you have it out long enough to gauge how it would be on long highway trips, or long drives up a mountain for skiing etc?
i had the car for a week and did make some longer trips (50+ miles). my feeling is on fwy the car is awesome, it "flies". not saying it's fast, but it's smooth and pick up is easy. and since the car seems to be pretty sensitive to number of people in the car (thus weight), and together with some scenario i ran into, i have a feeling that on steeper slopes, the car might feel more difficult to drive (power)

keep in mind, it drives a lot like the IS so don't expect it to be a silky smooth ride. i think that's something people have to be ready, i won't be surprised there are some who drives it and wonder why the car rides so "harsh"
Old 10-02-14, 05:52 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

yes i understand, it was a weird feeling too. i don't know if it is because of insulation or different design / color, but i do agree it's more of a perception.

i had the car for a week and did make some longer trips (50+ miles). my feeling is on fwy the car is awesome, it "flies". not saying it's fast, but it's smooth and pick up is easy. and since the car seems to be pretty sensitive to number of people in the car (thus weight), and together with some scenario i ran into, i have a feeling that on steeper slopes, the car might feel more difficult to drive (power)

keep in mind, it drives a lot like the IS so don't expect it to be a silky smooth ride. i think that's something people have to be ready, i won't be surprised there are some who drives it and wonder why the car rides so "harsh"
Thanks for the additional follow up. Harshness is definitely something my wife would likely avoid but she wants an SUV with better fuel economy than her current ride, the RX450h equivalent and we were hoping that the NX would have filled that requirement. I guess we will have to wait until they hit the showroom floor.
Old 10-02-14, 06:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great insight, thank you. As for the ride, I think a first hand test drive will tell. My guess is if anyone found the FSport a little harsh maybe a non FSport might be of interest.
Old 10-02-14, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bunka
Thanks for the additional follow up. Harshness is definitely something my wife would likely avoid but she wants an SUV with better fuel economy than her current ride, the RX450h equivalent and we were hoping that the NX would have filled that requirement. I guess we will have to wait until they hit the showroom floor.
yeah, if she's been thinking about suv like the rx, then she might be surprised (not in a good way) about the nx. i wonder if they are going to have rx200t down the road, that might be the fix to your gas mileage concern

Originally Posted by TripleL
Great insight, thank you. As for the ride, I think a first hand test drive will tell. My guess is if anyone found the FSport a little harsh maybe a non FSport might be of interest.
yes, i haven't driven the regular nx200t so i don't how much softer that car is. from a pure driving pleasure point of view though, i pick the nx over the rx any day

put it this way, just by sitting in the passenger seat, my wife could tell me "umm this car turns pretty flat"
Old 10-03-14, 12:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

we will see soon enough
well, it is not a guess if we already know pricing in Canada, Europe and Japan... and it is tiny bit higher than IS250.

CT200h starts at $33k. There is little chance NX200t will be anywhere close to CTh pricing... it isnt in Europe, it isnt in Japan, and it isnt in Canada.

Thats like Avalon starting at Camry Hybrid pricing... it doesnt.

And RX is $42k base now, with destination... so $5k difference is pretty decent.
Old 10-03-14, 02:52 AM
Nights
Pole Position

we will see soon enough
Actually in Australia, the word from our Lexus dealer is that the 200t will be priced above the hybrid. And the NX will definitely be a fair bit above the CT; here the base CT retails at 40k, whilst the base NX is 55k.

Quick Reply: ClubLexus Review: NX200t F Sport