NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Bummed There Won't Be a Panoramic Roof on the NX in the USA?

Old 07-10-14, 12:32 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bummed There Won't Be a Panoramic Roof on the NX in the USA?

Just posted this on the Blog.

I don't want to turn this into one of those "we never get anything cool in the USA" threads—because we get plenty of cool stuff here. But I do think this would have been a awesome option to have available.

USA residents, what do you think? Bummed it won't be coming here? Let me know!
Old 07-10-14, 01:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Well, I consider Canada is in the same boat since we basically get (or don't get) the same equipment. It's a bummer, but (for me), not a deal breaker.

I don't want to add to the list, but I think the lack of the "SportDesign" lower front bumper, no 300h F-Sport, and no ML (with the new ClariFi tech) are probably the bigger bummers for most. Again, Canada is like the US here.

The upside to all this is we're still getting an AMAZING compact crossover from Lexus after all this time us loyal customers have been waiting!
Old 07-10-14, 01:20 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Well, I consider Canada is in the same boat since we basically get (or don't get) the same equipment. It's a bummer, but (for me), not a deal breaker.

I don't want to add to the list, but I think the lack of the "SportDesign" lower front bumper, no 300h F-Sport, and no ML (with the new ClariFi tech) are probably the bigger bummers for most. Again, Canada is like the US here.

The upside to all this is we're still getting an AMAZING compact crossover from Lexus after all this time us loyal customers have been waiting!
Agreed. Overall, the NX seems to be packaged and executed pretty well from the initial impression.

In addition to the missing features you mentioned (SportDesign lower front bumper ML, etc), the 360-degree view camera is also missing which is another bummer --- BMW has this kind of 360-degree view camera on their current gen X3 for North American market since it was launched 4 years ago. It is a very useful feature. I just don't get it why Lexus has to wait for that long to introduce it. Ditto the dynamic guideline. They put it back in 2015 IS and I have no doubt it will appear in NX. However, this feature is already available in current gen RX and 2014 IS in some other markets.

For the panoramic moonroof, one can comfort oneself that the current implementation on NX (even the current RX) seem to be a fixed one and you can't open it. So not everyone ends up choosing it.

For the lack of SportDesign front bumper -- Lexus probably deem it too similar to F-Sport NX and they want to widen the gap between non- F Sport NX and F-Sport NX for marketing purpose. They already delete the "paddle shifter" in non F Sport NX in North American market where paddle shifter is standard in say, Japanese market. This time I have the feeling that Lexus can't use the lack of memory seat to differentiate regular and F-Sport NX because at this price point, people can't accept the inconvenience of no memory seats for a CUV and I am one of them.
Old 07-10-14, 01:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by AndyL
For the lack of SportDesign front bumper -- Lexus probably deem it too similar to F-Sport NX and they want to widen the gap between non- F Sport NX and F-Sport NX for marketing purpose. They already delete the "paddle shifter" in non F Sport NX in North American market where paddle shifter is standard in say, Japanese market. This time I have the feeling that Lexus can't use the lack of memory seat to differentiate regular and F-Sport NX because at this price point, people can't accept the inconvenience of no memory seats for a CUV and I am one of them.

Good catch. I noticed it missing in some of the 200t non-F-Sport interior shots in the recent reviews, but wasn't sure if it was official. Would make sense to be consistent with the CUV lineup, they have them on the F-Sport like with the RX F-Sport only.

I have a bad feeling that the driver memory function (seat, mirrors, revers tilt mirrors, steering wheel) will not be available on the F-Sport, which as it appears for N.A., it's a Nuluxe-only model (would be consistent like the IS).
Old 07-10-14, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Editor

Just posted this on the Blog.

I don't want to turn this into one of those "we never get anything cool in the USA" threads—because we get plenty of cool stuff here. But I do think this would have been a awesome option to have available.

USA residents, what do you think? Bummed it won't be coming here? Let me know!

One advantage to no pano roof is weight savings. All of these luxury CUV's are already pretty heavy so this saves a few lbs. The Q5 offers a no cost delete on the pano roof, but no regular sunroof as an alternative.
Old 07-10-14, 02:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ And I question if NVH is higher with the pano roof... unless it's laminate glass.
Old 07-10-14, 04:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
One advantage to no pano roof is weight savings. All of these luxury CUV's are already pretty heavy so this saves a few lbs. The Q5 offers a no cost delete on the pano roof, but no regular sunroof as an alternative.
i prefer moon roof, old school that slides out, i like that...

I saw that pano is no-cost delete in Europe, as it comes standard at two top spec models...
Old 07-10-14, 08:07 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to have the panoramic moon roof but only if it opens. Still frustrating to see these options not on the NX when available on BMW X3. However, when thinking about an X3 the fact its rear seats don't recline bother me more than the fact the NX doesn't offer a lot of the options the BMW does (panoramic camera, premium sound system, panoramic roof, foot activated rear door, heated rear seats). The X3 does not offer Lane Keep Assist or cooled seats however.
Old 07-10-14, 08:49 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I would like to have the panoramic moon roof but only if it opens. Still frustrating to see these options not on the NX when available on BMW X3. However, when thinking about an X3 the fact its rear seats don't recline bother me more than the fact the NX doesn't offer a lot of the options the BMW does (panoramic camera, premium sound system, panoramic roof, foot activated rear door, heated rear seats). The X3 does not offer Lane Keep Assist or cooled seats however.
We don't need cooled seats, but we need luxury seat with 20+ power control.

Lexus disappoints us again.
Old 07-11-14, 05:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd take cooled seats over any pano roof or camera. The lack of the ventilated seats in the F-Sport IS and CT made those dead in the water to me.
Old 07-11-14, 10:12 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Agree on both points. Pano roof would be cool, but I really like opening my sunroof. Even just tilting it really gets air moving in the car when it's been baking in the sun all day at work.

On those 90+ days it is pretty uncomfortable to hop right into the car and drive home. The ventilated seats in the wife's IS are heavenly. Aside from brand reliability, a lack of ventilated seats in the X3 is my other big knock on BMW.
Old 07-11-14, 11:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not a deal breaker but this same old song and dance (the you can't have that here) from Lexus is getting old..
Old 07-12-14, 09:57 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turns out it really doesn't matter. We were planning on waiting to look at the NX to decide between it and the MKC to replace our RX400h. But, after driving the MKC for a couple days, my wife looked again at pictures of the NX's weird beak and decided we don't need to wait. The air conditioned seats in the MKC (not just ventilated, air conditioned) were a big advantage: Lincoln. Also contributing was not liking the premium gas requirement of the NX t and slowness of the h.

So, we've ordered a fully-loaded MKC with all the tech goodness. Msrp 46k.

Oh, yeah, about that sunroof. MKC's is panoramic with the front section both slide and tilt.
Old 07-12-14, 10:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Kendig
Turns out it really doesn't matter. We were planning on waiting to look at the NX to decide between it and the MKC to replace our RX400h. But, after driving the MKC for a couple days, my wife looked again at pictures of the NX's weird beak and decided we don't need to wait. The air conditioned seats in the MKC (not just ventilated, air conditioned) were a big advantage: Lincoln. Also contributing was not liking the premium gas requirement of the NX t and slowness of the h.

So, we've ordered a fully-loaded MKC with all the tech goodness. Msrp 46k.

Oh, yeah, about that sunroof. MKC's is panoramic with the front section both slide and tilt.
I see a new commercial coming up...

Congrats and enjoy your MKC.
Old 07-12-14, 07:38 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

By far the best thing about the MKC is that Lincoln had to throw everything they could into it and price it aggressively to get anyone to pay attention.

I'm not sold on the looks and obviously their brand image is crap, but I really like the tons of features to the point that it feels like they were just thinking of superfluous stuff to throw in there like park out assist. I thought that seemed useful, but from videos it's like having the slowest person in the world drive out of a parallel parking space for you...but hey at least I can get it if I want it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bummed There Won't Be a Panoramic Roof on the NX in the USA?