NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus NX (Matador Red Mica) and Lincoln MKC (Ruby Red)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 07:14 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendig
Each to his own, I guess. We'll be replacing our RX400h with a full-luxury suv, not a sports car. (I've got an XLR for that). Anyway, to us the MKC looks elegant while the NX looks almost cartoonish.
Originally Posted by natnut
MKC looks bland and boring while the NX looks sharp and futuristic.
Interesting how drastically people's opinions on style can vary. Not saying one is right. My view aligns more with natnut's though.

The NX is so different, it's really a breath of fresh air. Nobody else seems to be exploring this direction of exterior styling, though I can see it being too aggressive looking for some.

The MKC styling goes for more of the distinguished look. A lot of other cars like the Q5 and X3 do it much better IMO. As real world pictures have come in, I've grown to dislike the rear....it's just too busy. Also, maybe it's just me but I see a little too much Ford Explorer in the MKC.

Old 06-21-14, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
Interesting how drastically people's opinions on style can vary. Not saying one is right. My view aligns more with natnut's though.
Absolutely. The purpose of this thread was not to generate hate for either (both are seemingly winners) simply for the sake of conversation compare and contrast.

Both look to be slated for success. With the segment expanded as much as it has and with two new additions, consumers have never had it so good
Old 06-21-14, 10:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

sg021, good perspective. It seems that the MKC and NX will appeal to different demographics. . Both are a bit late to the Luxury CUV party but no doubt will sell well and the increased competition will be good for consumers.
Old 06-21-14, 12:02 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Absolutely. The purpose of this thread was not to generate hate for either (both are seemingly winners) simply for the sake of conversation compare and contrast.

Both look to be slated for success. With the segment expanded as much as it has and with two new additions, consumers have never had it so good
Yes, I do think both will be successful. I certainly won't fault anyone for picking up an MKC as it is shaping up to be an excellent value based on all the features given for the price. Not that Lincoln had much of a choice as their brand image is in the toilet. Considering the Macan, MKC, and NX all arrive within a year of each other in the US, the segment is really going to be brimming with excellent choices.

I parallel park about once or twice a year, so I would enjoy having the car just take care of it for me entirely when it must be done. Gotta tip my hat to the MKC there.
Old 06-21-14, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I like MKC's rear, best part of the car... interior is not luxury car though.
Old 06-21-14, 04:57 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
I parallel park about once or twice a year, so I would enjoy having the car just take care of it for me entirely when it must be done. Gotta tip my hat to the MKC there.
If it's auto parking you want, check out this Audi A7. It does auto valet parking.

Old 06-21-14, 06:09 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rogerh00
If it's auto parking you want, check out this Audi A7. It does auto valet parking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NScljsouqk
Is that an actual feature on the production A7? Does it work on any parking garage? It's very cool, although I'd probably worry about the car the whole time I'm gone.
Old 06-21-14, 07:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ No, it's a pilot project only. Lots of infrastructure required in parking lots for this to happen but it's a good demonstration nonetheless of where car tech is heading in just about 10 years or so from now.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...220846207.html

Audi trials new models that can pay their own way

Jun 10, 2013
Wireless payment, driverless parking

This latest move to minimise inconvenience in the daily driving routines of Audi owners follows closely behind another parking aid shown earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas – Audi piloted parking.

Also still at the prototype stage, this advanced system is again based on a wireless connection between the car and the car park, but this time enables the car to find the nearest parking space and to guide itself autonomously to that space and park.

The driver activates the futuristic technology with the aid of a smartphone app. The car park’s central computer takes over part of the control function and guides the vehicle via a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) connection to the nearest available parking space. External laser sensors record the vehicle’s movements and this data is processed by the car park’s computer to pinpoint the vehicle.

The central computer also has a map of the car park layout and records parking space occupancy. This information is transmitted to the vehicle, enabling it to drive itself from the starting point to its destination. The vehicle monitors its surroundings using twelve ultrasound sensors, which also help to guide it autonomously into the parking space or the garage under the driver’s supervision. Once it has reached its final position, it shuts off the engine, deactivates the ignition and locks the doors before finally sending a confirmation to the driver.
Old 06-22-14, 04:53 PM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Exactly. In our case it will come down to a lot of different factors, and I'm very happy to have a series of great choices. Since we have the slightly larger RX400h to replace, and often take day trips with friends, rear seat legroom will be a key consideration, and may push us upwards. We'd stay compact if possible, choosing between the NX, MKC and surprisingly well optionable Cherokee. We could afford a Macan, but, well, no. If we have to move up in size it's the RX, SRX, MKX, ML or Grand Cherokee.

The Q5 is a bit short of being as well-featured as we'd like. And the RDX is so poorly optionable it's not even near the radar.