NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Would you trade your vehicle for the NX and which one?
Yes, for the 300h
17.59%
Yes, for the 200t
12.04%
Yes, for an F-Sport variant
23.15%
Maybe
19.44%
No
27.78%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Trade your vehicle for the NX?

Old 05-12-14, 08:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Will have to wait to sit in one. I find the seats in the RAV 4 uncomfortable. I would not mind something smaller than the RX though.
From the pictures, apart from color patterns, the seats look identical to the ones in the IS. The non-F-Sport NX has the non-F-Sport IS seats while the F-Sport NX has the F-Sport IS seats. Get your initial thoughts on the seats by sitting in an IS at your local Lexus dealer, though keep in mind seat height and outward visibility will be different.

Originally Posted by darrelld
Resale value on hybrids is generally higher. I also never see anyone mention the cost savings on brake jobs. Hybrids usually can go 2 to 3 times as many miles before needing any friction brake replacement. I don't about other Lexus vehicles but my IS350 was $1,300 for a brake job every 30k miles. I had brake work done at both independent shops and the dealership.
Good point. On my RXh, still had the original rotors after 110k km and just had the pads replaced once at 85k km! With my CT, pads were only worn at 25% front/15% rear when I traded it in after 2 years ownership/30k km.

Originally Posted by davyjordi
perhaps i have to see it in person, although from the photographs/videos, the vehicle is hideous. i have no idea where lexus is headed with some of the new designs, but it isn't in the right direction, imo.
It's a love/hate with the new face of Lexus. Thankfully, as sales have shown from the '13 GS onward with the intro of the spindle grill, that more people than not like the new face of Lexus.
Old 05-13-14, 06:25 AM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to know if Toyota is doing anything to improve the NX ratings in a small overlap crash, the Rav4 results are abysmal.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/rav4

The Toyota RAV4 was redesigned for the 2013 model year. Beginning with 2013 models built after April 2013, Toyota made additional changes to better control the stability of the steering column and to provide extra padding under the footwell carpeting (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The changes, however, weren’t enough to lift the RAV4’s performance in the small overlap frontal test.
Structure

The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. Lower interior intrusion measured as much as 31 cm at the hinge pillar. Upper interior intrusion measured 21 cm at the hinge pillar and 17 cm at the instrument panel. The dummy's left foot was trapped by crushed and buckled sheet metal in the footwell.
Injury measures

Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left lower leg would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low, including head injury risk from the instrument panel hit.
Restraints and dummy kinematics

The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved 19 cm to the right, resulting in little airbag cushioning for the chest. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy’s head and torso, contributing to the head hitting the instrument panel. The side torso airbag deployed.

Last edited by darrelld; 05-13-14 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 10:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I have to know if Toyota is doing anything to improve the NX ratings in a small overlap crash, the Rav4 results are abysmal.

If Toyota has immediately responded to this on the RAV4 (albeit with little success), I'm confident the NX will fare much better in this really difficult "low success" test.
Old 05-13-14, 07:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

It's a love/hate with the new face of Lexus. Thankfully, as sales have shown from the '13 GS onward with the intro of the spindle grill, that more people than not like the new face of Lexus.
i mean, some models are much better designed than others. i drive a 2014/3IS and the non-f-sport version because the luxury package isn't available on the f-sport models as you well know and luxury is something that should be synonymous with lexus, performance aside. that, and the f-sport front bumper is a little too gaudy for my tastes with its significantly more exaggerated grill and angular lines.

there are other models, though, that are seemingly grotesquely designed, e.g. the nx. i'm not really sure who the target consumer is. will it sell? likely. is the vehicle garish? totally, imo, given the video and photographs released.

the irony of the whole situation, though, is that lexus, a marque that has built a reputation and selling point on sedate, ultra-reliable cars, has managed to lure me back to the brand on the ultra-reliability point rather than on any current design or performance points, which are just okay compared to the german competition. it really shouldn't be this way. it was a hard sell to make after driving the 3 series, really.

the nx? forget it. mbz, bmw, and audi's offerings are, overall, better buys, imo, save for the reliability point and that point is a large one to consider when making a vehicle purchase -- one that kept me within the brand rather than straying from it.

Last edited by davyjordi; 05-13-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 10:18 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

there are other models, though, that are seemingly grotesquely designed, e.g. the nx. i'm not really sure who the target consumer is.
For people like me who don't like the RX style (I don't hate it).
It's too feminine for me. I like the new NX for having an edgier design.

the nx? forget it. mbz, bmw, and audi's offerings are, overall, better buys, imo, save for the reliability point and that point is a large one to consider when making a vehicle purchase -- one that kept me within the brand rather than straying from it.
I tend to keep my cars beyond 3 years so I don't lease.
I'm tired of german's finicky reliability and don't have the time and patience to take it in for issues.
Old 05-19-14, 04:28 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Resale value on hybrids is generally higher. I also never see anyone mention the cost savings on brake jobs. Hybrids usually can go 2 to 3 times as many miles before needing any friction brake replacement. I don't about other Lexus vehicles but my IS350 was $1,300 for a brake job every 30k miles. I had brake work done at both independent shops and the dealership.
Infiniti told my wife 1000.00 for her car. I did all NEW rotors - better pads and it costs me in the 3-400.00 range. Her rotors are dimpled and slotted so they work better too.

Brakes are cake , if they just turn rotors and use new pads - it cost them peanuts.

Another thing brakes will last much longer if you use BETTER pad material. Her g35 first set was toast at 30-35k. This set has about 55 -60 k on them. So double.......and they still have life. I'd recommend you finding a independent shop and use your parts if you aren't up to the task.

But, brakes are huge expense for most people and added costs - another thing left out though is battery replacement long term. Although talking to the Lexus dealer - they've NEVER replaced a battery yet. I'm sure some have. That could be an expense - but that's long term.
Old 05-19-14, 04:37 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by Tom59
Infiniti told my wife 1000.00 for her car. I did all NEW rotors - better pads and it costs me in the 3-400.00 range. Her rotors are dimpled and slotted so they work better too.

Brakes are cake , if they just turn rotors and use new pads - it cost them peanuts.

Another thing brakes will last much longer if you use BETTER pad material. Her g35 first set was toast at 30-35k. This set has about 55 -60 k on them. So double.......and they still have life. I'd recommend you finding a independent shop and use your parts if you aren't up to the task.

But, brakes are huge expense for most people and added costs - another thing left out though is battery replacement long term. Although talking to the Lexus dealer - they've NEVER replaced a battery yet. I'm sure some have. That could be an expense - but that's long term.
They address the battery issue here, 300,000 miles on Hybrid Taxis.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...000-plus-miles

It may be the second question everyone asks about buying a hybrid: Will the battery pack last the life of the car? (Fuel economy is always first. Always.) So Toyota, Ford, and other patiently note that their packs carry warranties of 8 years / 100,000 miles or 10 years / 150,000 miles, depending where they're sold.

Now comes more proof that the packs hold up to whatever drivers can dish out. San Francisco is retiring its first 15 Ford Escape Hybrid taxis after some of them have racked up more than 300,000 trouble-free miles. They were launched in February 2005, with great fanfare, by mayor Gavin Newsom, split between San Francisco Yellow Cab and Luxor Cab.

San Francisco now counts 1,438 cabs, of which 14% are hybrids. New York's fleet, almost 10 times as large at 13,237, is roughly the same, at 15%. The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission has just revised its hybrid incentive plan, being fought tooth-and-nail by the taxi owners' group.

Taxis, in fact, may be the best and largest real-world test for hybrids in fleet usage. While several cities are bringing hybrids into their police fleets, taxis in two-shift operation put on more miles and see a wider range of road conditions. They're also likely to be run far longer than patrol cars, which are usually retired at or before 100,000 miles.

The Escape Hybrid is popular in San Francisco and New York, but it's hardly the only hybrid taxi contender. In fact, Toyota Prius taxis can be seen domestically in Denver, Chicago, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and San Antonio. Elsewhere, they're happily covering ground in Berlin, Ljubljana, Tokyo, and many other cities in Japan.

Last edited by darrelld; 05-19-14 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 08:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 Rav4 now and have enjoyed it, but will be checking out the NX when it's available.

The Rav4 was a practical choice for me...my commute went from 2.8 miles to 70 miles, my car payment is cheap, insurance is cheap, gas is cheap...it was all very easy. During the purchase process, I looked at everything from a used GS 460 to a 4Runner and landed on the Rav4 because it was inexpensive, packed with current tech, drove well and seemed "right size". As I close in on my first year of ownership, I like the car but feel that it's no longer making me happy.

For one, while buying a practical car was the right thing to do at this stage in my life, I really miss owning something "special". Going from a lowered, modified GS Sport Design with saddle interior to a Toyota Rav4 was a bit of a culture shock. I was happy with all of the technology upgrades that the Rav offered over a decade- old Lexus, but still, the GS was a more special car with way more charm…even in old age. I'm a detail nut and miss the feeling of completing a day-long detail job and standing back and appreciating your work on a vehicle like that. When I used to put hours into washing, buffing, waxing and sealing my GS…I would have people come from across a parking lot to look at the car. When people would get in my car, they could never believe it was 10 years old from the condition of the interior. I really enjoy taking pride in a car like that, and I don’t feel that way about the Rav4.

Second, I’m really unhappy with some performance aspects of the Rav4. I knew what I was getting into with a CUV that weighs 3,600lbs and has 177hp, but sometimes it really is frustrating. For day-to-day stop and go, the 2.5L 4 cyl is reasonably torquey and goes about its business behaving more like a small V6. It’s more than adequate 70% of the time. However, when I really need passing power or instantaneous acceleration, it just isn’t there. Also, as much as I like the handling, the ride can be a little choppy at times and even jarring. Moreso than I’d like, for sure. I admit that I drive aggressively and the Rav4 just doesn’t deliver in that aspect.

On the flip side, it’s been nice owning a car that I don’t have to worry about with curbs, potholes, uneven pavement, parallel parking, etc. I’ve also really enjoyed the ground clearance and especially the all-wheel drive. AWD was a life saver in our ice storms earlier this year and even in the rain, you can certainly feel a difference.

I’m inclined to stay with Toyota/Lexus because their products have always been so good to me, but I’m not quite sure what I want. Performance is high on my priority list, so are design, reliability and fuel efficiency. I drove 4Runners for a few years but can’t stand the latest generation because it drives like a boat. I like the new Highlander, but it’s a little larger than what I really need. FWD anything is out of the equation.

Other options would be something like a new or gently used IS or GS F Sport, but I am thinking I’d like to stick with a few extra inches of ground clearance and all-wheel drive. I’d really like something larger than the Rav4 – RX size is perfect for me, but I think the RX F Sport will be out of my price range, especially when the new generation arrives.

All of that leaves the NX standing solo. I’m anticipating that the 2.0T should be plenty peppy with 235hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. With the AVS and F Sport package, I’m also assuming that it will be sportier than what I have now, and I’m hoping for better ride quality as well. I need to see and drive the car in person to really form my final impressions, but it’s definitely on my radar.

I struggle with the idea of selling my Rav4 and taking a financial hit to buy…what is pretty much another Rav4, but if it fixes the things I’m unhappy with in my current car, then I could probably justify it.

Does anyone know when first drives/tests will be going up?

Last edited by MPLexus301; 05-21-14 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-14, 05:41 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends when they are had by your dealer. East coast is always much later than the west coast if they are shipped from japan.
They are saying September-October so expect to test drive one around then. Early fall. Georgia would be about the same as east coast , I'd imagine. I like to let a model year pass before buying or at least a half model year. Better pricing more options -even used- and lots more information on the ability of it.
Old 05-26-14, 06:23 AM
darrelld
Driver

Has anyone noticed if the NX uses trim strips on top of the roof to cover body spot welds. I have read where they mention screw welding but no picture I have seen of the NX shows the roof trim.

If look at Audi or even VW for that matter the body panels are laser welded continuously so no trim strip on top of the roof line.

Old 05-26-14, 08:42 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone noticed if the NX uses trim strips on top of the roof to cover body spot welds. I have read where they mention screw welding but no picture I have seen of the NX shows the roof trim.

If look at Audi or even VW for that matter the body panels are laser welded continuously so no trim strip on top of the roof line.

Laser Welding: Volkswagen features explained - YouTube
I think it's laser welded, like the 3IS.
I haven't found a good picture of the roof, but i can't see any trim strips besides the rails, and they don't run along the entire roofline.
Old 05-26-14, 08:49 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

No trims visible except the rails.

Old 05-27-14, 01:20 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Just found this. No rubber trims on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails Trade your vehicle for the NX?-img_131323963956955.jpeg  
Old 05-27-14, 04:31 AM
darrelld
Driver

.38 into this video you can see the trim strips covering spot welds. Even the VW Jetta doesnt have this.

http://media.vw.com/img/3844/0/0/827...aab28e9dcd.jpg

Last edited by darrelld; 05-27-14 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 10:38 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.38 into this video you can see the trim strips covering spot welds. Even the VW Jetta doesnt have this.

Lexus NX Static Launch Video - YouTube

http://media.vw.com/img/3844/0/0/827...aab28e9dcd.jpg
The trim strips are the "placeholders" for the roof rails if NX follows the same treatment as in the current RX.

Since the one in the video has the panaramic roof, the roof rails will be absent which makes the trim strips visible. With roof rails, the trim strips are less visible from top view.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade your vehicle for the NX?