NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Welcome to Club Lexus! NX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 10:56 AM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Club Lexus

Hello I have been lurking for several weeks on this forum and have learned a lot. Thank you. I have just joined as I have recently taken possession of my new NX200t FSport Series 2 – AS/RR. Photos to come as soon as the rain stops here in Vancouver!

I wanted to share my experiences from research, purchase and ownership thus far as I hope I can contribute is some small way.

My last vehicle was a 2003 Nissan Xterra SE (manual). Which served its purpose extremely well and was a superb vehicle. Several reasons I decided to trade it in but with some small investment would have served me well for years to come I expect. I was tired of driving a truck and a standard transmission (mostly urban driving) and my off-roading was now pretty much non existant.

In my search for a new vehicle I knew I wanted something that would “elevate” my driving position slightly higher than the average sedan. I had become used to and enjoyed a better street view in the Xterra (I had numerous sedans as rental vehicles over the years through work which reinforced this position).

I also wanted some sportiness but more on the luxury side – price range was a final negotiated price of below $60000 CND (preferably below $55K to avoid paying higher taxes here in BC).

The usual suspects were considered and eliminated due to numerous reasons. I did test drive and closely considered the following vehicles: Audi Q1; BMW X1 & X3; Infinity QX50 & QX70; Lincoln MKC & a Cadillac.

The choice in the end came down to the QX70 and the NX Sport – two vehicles pretty much diametrically opposed in terms of looks. Despite the significant price difference I was really drawn to the QX70 – it was more sport than luxury whereas the NX was more luxury than sport. At least that’s how I perceived it anyway.

Other than price – two other things drew me to the NX: 1) It was a Lexus and therefore #1 on reliability (I plan on keeping this vehicle a long time) and 2) the tech in the Infinity was long overdue for a refresh and I am a geek who likes his tech.

I took the NX200t non sport for a test drive 2 times in two different dealerships (neither btw had an F-Sport to demo…). One of the dealerships took me on the same 3 KM route around a long block basically. No way to truly test-drive a car. The other dealership took me on a good long drive and the second time let me take it out on my own. ORDERED ON FEB 9TH – RECEIVED ON MARCH 20!!

The negotiation was pretty straight forward, as I knew I would not be getting much on a discount based on numerous other comments and the supply/demand equation. I received $500 off MSRP and a reasonable offer for a trade in. The business manager was also able to get me a better rate (3.99%) than the Lexus financing at 4.9% (my bank was 5.19% for financing).

Then I discovered this forum – how funny is that! I did not even consider looking for user groups in my research. Good thing for me that even after reading most of the posts and in particular any negative items I was still convinced that this was the right purchase.

As and aside – I have seen one other NX in the time since I ordered mine and it was not an F-Sport.

So when I came to the dealer to dot the “I’s” and cross the “t’s”. In the back of my mind I was thinking something would go wrong, the dealer would try something funny and the deal would go sour – call me a skeptic…. Well all was smooth as silk.

To my happy surprise the vehicle came with the following, which I expected to pay extra for:
1) Wheel Locks
2) Cargo Net
3) Heated seats (did not think this was an option on Sport – though they are not ventilated)

For some reason I thought there was an engine sound dial on the dash (Active Sound Control…?) – not so but frankly I’m quite happy it is not part of the package, I think it’s an unneeded option.

I’ve driven the vehicle about 400 KM’s now and here are some of my initial impressions:

· Voice recognition is crap. Seriously! I hope a software update in the near future is possible and implemented. I went through the voice training exercise.

· Seats are a bit hard/still on the butt, but I think they will take a bit of time to ease up a bit
· Some button locations are difficult to see and access - I wear reading glasses.

· Track pad is poorly implemented but better with haptic feedback disabled. Not something I would use while driving anyway.
· Sound system is fine and I’m an audiophile. I don’t expect too much from a vehicle as the signal to noise ratio is pretty high (i.e. road and outside noise).
· That said, the cabin is very quiet
· Love the headlights
· Overall build quality is fantastic
· Some of the functions of the information system are difficult to understand even with going through the manual many times. Will get clarification when I go back for my 1800KM service.
· Gas mileage cannot be confirmed as I have run it on several occasions for some time while going through various settings both at home and at the dealer.

Anyway that's it. I appreciate all the contributors and members time in making this site a great resource.
Old 04-03-15, 01:21 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

you sure your NX Sport doesn't have this:

Old 04-03-15, 03:05 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Default No ASC..

Definitely no ASC. Switches are blanks. Thanks for the reference photo.
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus!  NX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!-image1.jpg  
Old 04-03-15, 03:27 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caruhgah
Definitely no ASC. Switches are blanks. Thanks for the reference photo.
Check on the other side of the steering wheel, all the F-Sport models should have that. That's strange.
Old 04-03-15, 03:47 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xtino
Check on the other side of the steering wheel, all the F-Sport models should have that. That's strange.
The other side of the steering wheel has a single blank as well. Sounds like an oddity...
Old 04-03-15, 04:01 PM
typocl
Instructor

The other side of the steering wheel has a single blank as well. Sounds like an oddity...
you have paddle shifters and the fsport logos, right??? I see the fsport pedals...weird
Old 04-03-15, 04:10 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
you have paddle shifters and the fsport logos, right??? I see the fsport pedals...weird
Paddle Shifters and FSport Badging for sure. I will ask the service dept about it at my first service.
Old 04-03-15, 06:42 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

It's weird that blank should be the actual switch for the engine sound. I thought all the Fsport models had that it is really weird. Are your seats Fsport as well?
Old 04-03-15, 06:49 PM
typocl
Instructor

judging by the comment that the seats are hard, I think he got the fsport seats

He might have a rare NX...worth extra now! Hopefully, the dealer can just add the switch.
Old 04-03-15, 06:59 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
judging by the comment that the seats are hard, I think he got the fsport seats

He might have a rare NX...worth extra now! Hopefully, the dealer can just add the switch.
Probably.

I just noticed that the blank spaces he's showing are the ones for the power folding rear seats that are not available on the F-Sport (and other trims that do not have leather seats) so he might just have a very rare case here.
Old 04-03-15, 08:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Folks, in Canada, no ASC feature available, for which the OP is from (BC).

Caruhgah, the seats will soften a little as I had the same "issue" with the bottom bolsters. Congrats on your F Sport Series 2 and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-03-15, 08:34 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xtino
Probably.

I just noticed that the blank spaces he's showing are the ones for the power folding rear seats that are not available on the F-Sport (and other trims that do not have leather seats) so he might just have a very rare case here.
Maybe rare..., hopefully I don't have anything else missing... But I do have heated seats which I would take over ASC!
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus!  NX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 04-03-15, 08:35 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Folks, in Canada, no ASC feature available for which the OP is from (BC).

Caruhgah, the seats will soften a little as I had the same "issue" with the bottom bolsters. Congrats on your F Sport Series 2 and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and the information you provide!
Old 04-03-15, 08:43 PM
typocl
Instructor

so up north, you guys go "VROOM VROOM"?

wonder why they did that
Old 04-03-15, 08:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Maybe rare..., hopefully I don't have anything else missing... But I do have heated seats which I would take over ASC!
In Canada, Series 2 is fully loaded minus leather, ventilated seats, and power rear seats (only on non-F Sport Executive package). Also for clarity to you and US members, Series 2 also has HUD and AVS which are not available in the US.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! NX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!