NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 06:58 AM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
I have a car with pano roof. It looks cool but with Texas heat, it is not recommended. I'd rather take a regular sunroof than pano anyday now. Maybe if I live in CA or east coast, I'll havw different story.
I agree, pano roofs also compromise structural integrity in side impacts. Try to find a side impact test with a pano equipped vehicle. All the salvage photos I have seen involving panos and side impacts reveal the vehicles typically collapse along the area where the panoramic is installed.
Old 04-23-14, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I highly doubt that manufacturers that take safety as seriously as they do (Mercedes, Volvo to name two) would use panoramic roofs if they hurt safety in side impact collisions.
Old 04-23-14, 07:25 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I highly doubt that manufacturers that take safety as seriously as they do (Mercedes, Volvo to name two) would use panoramic roofs if they hurt safety in side impact collisions.
Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi failed the IIHS small overlap test. I hope Lexus does a better job with that test on the NX than what you see in the Rav4.
Old 04-23-14, 07:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus NX Spotted Out in the Wild, U.S. Range Confirmed

You might need some time to digest the design of the new Lexus NX that's full of sharp edges and creases, but we'll agree with Twitter user Martin Ward who nabbed the compact SUV in a parking lot outside Toyota's UK plant in Burnaston that it does indeed look "different" and we'll add, more youthful and modern than the bigger RX.

Lexus said it would open the order books and release details on the UK market model, including powertrain specifications, later in the year.

In related news, but on the other side of the pond, Lexus confirmed the U.S. range for the new NX that will appear in showrooms this fall offering buyers a choice of two models, the NX 200t with a 235hp (238PS) 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline four and the NX 300h featuring a 194hp (197PS) 2.5-liter inline-four hybrid powertrain. Both models will be available in front- and all-wheel drive layouts.

Along with these two engines, select markets around the world, including China and Russia will also get a base NX 200 model with a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated gasoline unit matched to a Sequential-Continuously Variable Transmission (S-CVT)/Multi-drive transmission.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/new...n-wild-us.html
Old 04-23-14, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrelld
Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi failed the IIHS small overlap test. I hope Lexus does a better job with that test on the NX than what you see in the Rav4.
But that has nothing to do with panoramic sunroofs. The small overlap test was simply a type of crash test manufacturers had not prepared for, the VAST majority of cars fail that test. Now that the test exists...cars start passing because manufacturers prepare for it.
Old 04-23-14, 08:58 AM
darrelld
Driver

But that has nothing to do with panoramic sunroofs. The small overlap test was simply a type of crash test manufacturers had not prepared for, the VAST majority of cars fail that test. Now that the test exists...cars start passing because manufacturers prepare for it.
After some more research it appears the pano is more likely to cause injury from rollovers according IIHS.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety spokesman Russ Rader says there is no data showing such systems are unsafe. IIHS tested a Volkswagen Touareg equipped with a panoramic roof, and it earned a good rating in the roof-strength test and is a top safety pick.

“This doesn’t mean that vehicles with glass roof panels would be as safe in rollovers as vehicles without them,” he tells Ward’s.

“In a rollover crash, the glass panels could break or pop out during the roll,” Rader says. “That increases the risk of either ejection or the heads of occupants striking objects outside the vehicle.

“That would be the main problem with glass roof panels, if a rollover occurs in a vehicle that is otherwise rated good for roof strength.”
http://wardsauto.com/ar/panoramic_po...ty_ford_110818
Old 04-23-14, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats a conversational statement from someone affiliated with the IIHS, not a formal statement or suggestion from IIHS as you would imply. The same could be said of any glass on the roof, how about sunroofs?

Focus on this, which is in your quote and is a factual statement, not a conversational statement:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety spokesman Russ Rader says there is no data showing such systems are unsafe. IIHS tested a Volkswagen Touareg equipped with a panoramic roof, and it earned a good rating in the roof-strength test and is a top safety pick.
Old 04-23-14, 09:09 AM
darrelld
Driver

Thats a conversational statement from someone affiliated with the IIHS, not a formal statement or suggestion from IIHS as you would imply. The same could be said of any glass on the roof, how about sunroofs?

Focus on this, which is in your quote and is a factual statement, not a conversational statement:
Nothing implied, otherwise there would be no point in including the quote.

You should agree his statement does meet Prima facie.

Last edited by darrelld; 04-23-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 09:39 AM
Dreamlab
Rookie

In looking at the above photos, I was thinking:

The NX should have been the next generation of the RX...
Old 04-23-14, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelld
Nothing implied, otherwise there would be no point in including the quote.

You should agree his statement does meet Prima facie.
I suppose if pano roof safely was a concern to a potential buyer, they could check the rollover rating for the vehicle in question. A good rollover rating might offset concerns over the performance of a pano roof vehicle.
Old 04-23-14, 10:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That gray color on the F Sport model is freaking SICK!
Old 04-23-14, 10:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I suppose if pano roof safely was a concern to a potential buyer, they could check the rollover rating for the vehicle in question. A good rollover rating might offset concerns over the performance of a pano roof vehicle.
I had a ES 350 UL with pano and never worried about it.
I do think a pano does let a bit more noise in,though.
Old 04-23-14, 10:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab

No doubt the new RX styling is going to be very close.
Old 04-23-14, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

And the RX getting smaller?? I don't think so. NX fills a void the RX300 left.

NX is marketed more towards Generation Y, sporty, techy while the RX more Generation X, more established families, bit more money that need more luxury and comfort.
Old 04-23-14, 11:33 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering how absolutely dominant the RX was in USA sales, I doubt that level of redesign would have flown.

2013 USA sales:
- 103,920 Lexus RX
- 60,534 Buick Enclave (really?)
- 56,776 Cadillac SRX
- 53, 040 Acura MDX
- 44,750 Acura RDX
- 40,355 Audi Q5
- 39,818 BMW X5
...the rest in these segments are about 30k sales down to 10k

If anything, I'd imagine the RX would bump up in size to compete more directly with the MDX/X5/Q7. Given Acura's success with two models, that would appear to be a safer path than making a big change to the RX.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread