NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Old 04-05-14, 10:45 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine just got a brand new Elantra with touch screen and I must say it works really well, much better than the touch interface on the 2IS. Worlds better than any BMW command or Lexus mouse etc.

A touch screen interface is simple and very intuivitive. It also enables a clutter free interior.

Old 04-06-14, 04:59 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Although like many I haven't been able to use this hands on I will say that based on the pictures I've seen and the possibility for it I think this new controller is an absolutely brilliant move by Lexus.

To be able to just reach over, touch and slide your finger just makes sense. It also looks like there are quadrants for shortcuts or multiple choice selections or something. Time will tell but I'm looking forward to seeing if this is truly evolution or just different.
Old 04-06-14, 05:00 AM
LexFather

^^^^ exactly, great post.

To even suggest an élantra touch screen is better is a late April fools joke I presume
Old 04-06-14, 05:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ I think to youps3's point, the positive is the direct-access to touch screen as indicated, BUT it ends there. Not only is this more exposed to glare, it is placed closer to the driver which means it is less in the line of driving sight compared to Lexus Screen/RTI combo raising the question on safety. Of course some will argue the existing RTI is a distraction so this may be a wash. Now with the intro of literally "remote touch" in MY 2015, this should enhance usability and safety to mitigate the main complaints of the existing mouse-like RTI.

Oh, and who likes finger smudges on their NAV/Audio screen anyway? I don't so RTI all the way for me even in its current form.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-06-14 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-06-14, 05:53 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Couldn't agree more. The positioning of the screen in my RX recessed in the cave like area makes it almost glare free. On some new vehicles I'm seeing what looks like a tablet placed on top of the dash instead of redesigning the dash, very poor.
I'm hoping the NX isn't like the concept photos with a screen on the top of the dash.
Old 04-06-14, 06:59 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm really trying to decide whether this remote touch is going to be easier to operate while driving or not compared to the current gen controller. For example, I'm used to going down the list of radio presets completely by feel. Once I feel it notch into the next selection, I know I'm on the next preset. This might be a little more difficult to sense with only haptic feedback.
Old 04-06-14, 08:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Couldn't agree more. The positioning of the screen in my RX recessed in the cave like area makes it almost glare free. On some new vehicles I'm seeing what looks like a tablet placed on top of the dash instead of redesigning the dash, very poor.
I'm hoping the NX isn't like the concept photos with a screen on the top of the dash.
It's actually not very poor. The whole purpose of those tablet-like designs is to bring the screen more into the driver's line-of-sight while without having to have a high-set dash all around it. This increases visibility. The anti-glare properties of the screen have gotten good enough that they can use this placement with confidence.
Old 04-06-14, 09:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ I think to youps3's point, the positive is the direct-access to touch screen as indicated, BUT it ends there. Not only is this more exposed to glare, it is placed closer to the driver which means it is less in the line of driving sight compared to Lexus Screen/RTI combo raising the question on safety. Of course some will argue the existing RTI is a distraction so this may be a wash. Now with the intro of literally "remote touch" in MY 2015, this should enhance usability and safety to mitigate the main complaints of the existing mouse-like RTI.

Oh, and who likes finger smudges on their NAV/Audio screen anyway? I don't so RTI all the way for me even in its current form.
I dunno, to me its ridiculous to compare a touch screen on an economy car (and mind you its a great car at its price point) to remote touch/mouse/**** controls in luxury cars. Another reason for the ***** in the leading luxury brands is b/c they now offer seemingly a vast array of options and configurations. An Elantra doesn't offer 1/10th of the options these cars have.

I'm not a touch screen hater at all, my GS 450h still has it and its great for what it is. I think a lot of people are stuck thinking its the only way since they don't live with the new way on a day to day basis like we do.

Look at the Acura/Infiniit dual touch screens. Its a mess. They are laggy, they use redundant controls and reviewers and owners have bashed it endlessly. They decided to stick to touch screens and

Audi, BMW, Benz, Lexus all now use this interface, all are considered leaders with technology. All I need to know.
Old 04-06-14, 09:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's actually not very poor. The whole purpose of those tablet-like designs is to bring the screen more into the driver's line-of-sight while without having to have a high-set dash all around it. This increases visibility. The anti-glare properties of the screen have gotten good enough that they can use this placement with confidence.
A lot of people throw glare as a downside which makes sense conceptually since the sun is always around us, but in reality, unless you are driving a convertible, there is no such problem with glare. I have an early C class with the motorized pop up screen which isn't recessed and I have never had a problem with glare.

Lexus needs to massage the navigation/dash design they currently have. Thank goodness they now have the 12 inch screen in some models, but not enough of them. As a hybrid driver, I like having the MPG screen on the nav. I am now forced to change radio presets through the steering wheel which to me has never really been intuitive. Then, if a passenger needs to do it, they have to use RT to navigate to the radio menu. I think hard buttons need to come back for radio. maybe I'm just living in the 90s, but I love how Mercedes still gives you the dial pad on the dash. Easy for radio presets, and easy to dial a number
Old 04-06-14, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
A friend of mine just got a brand new Elantra with touch screen and I must say it works really well, much better than the touch interface on the 2IS. Worlds better than any BMW command or Lexus mouse etc.
Lexus and touch screens are over. They have not invested as much as they have in the RTI or the new dash layouts to go back to touch screens now...the RTC is here to stay, so continuing to talk about it when new models come out is pretty pointless.

Having come from the touch screen and having lived with the RTC for nearly 1.5 years now, I can tell you that I personally like the RTC just fine. I don't know that I like it *better* than a touch screen from a pure usability standpoint, but I like the options it opens up for the dash and the screen. You couldn't have that big, wide deep, high screen with a touchscreen...so I'm a fan of the RTC.

In a BMW its the same issue, you could not have the nice, wide, high mounted screen with a touch screen. Since their menu system is ****-turn based, it wouldn't work as well either. Once Lexus gets the custom interface down instead of just using the same interface they used for the touchscreen with the RTC it'll be great. BMW's latest iDrive is *great* IMHO.
Old 04-07-14, 08:24 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More Details on the Lexus NX Compact Crossover

An automotive site in Slovakia had an advance look at the upcoming Lexus NX compact crossover last month, and have published the above photo along with a text teaser (please excuse the paraphrased Google-assisted translation):

Despite the fact that the public has not yet officially seen the new Lexus NX, we had the pleasure to see and feel a preproduction prototype at the end of last month.

The car was hidden in a photo studio on the outskirts of Brussels. It’s admittedly much more refined than the concept LF-NX, but is still sufficiently eccentric and different from its competitors.

Embargo on official information takes up to April 11. The automaker will then publish an official press release and photos. Until then, we can confirm that the drive SUV will not have a diesel engine.

The Lexus NX relies on the hybrid powertrain and a petrol powerplant with a two liter supercharged turbo.

Given the LF-NX Turbo concept and the NX 200t trademark, it was expected that the compact crossover would debut the new Lexus 2.0L turbo engine, and this report would apparently confirm that fact.

(If the dates are true, we should know even more detail at the end of this week.)
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/04/0...act-crossover/
Old 04-07-14, 08:43 AM
LexFather

2.0 supercharged turbo? Huh lol
Old 04-07-14, 09:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
2.0 supercharged turbo? Huh lol

If you follow the link to the source, you will see that "supercharged" has been crossed out (strikeout), leaving only "turbo".
Old 04-07-14, 10:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the most useful part of that "sneak peek" was knowing that there is a 4/11 embargo. Here's to hoping it's true!
Old 04-07-14, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

they said that full PR will be shown on April 11th, which is this Friday... lets hope so!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread