NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It certainly sounds loud for a luxury car. Might even be louder than my RX and can get tiring pretty quickly. Nice engine note though.
thats because of camera mic... if you look at other similar videos from youtube, it is quite quiet.

and in general, NX is not an upgrade to RX, it is lower end model that costs less. I am not sure why many people in this thread expect NX to be better than RX.
Old 05-01-14, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
The NX is small.. it has almost the same cabin space as the 2014 i2350 FSport.
There is no way three child car seats will fit in the back.

I was excited when the first photos were revealed for the NX because I am a father of three ( have a newborn) and I was hoping this would be more spacious.

I guess it is pointless for me to get the NX as that isn't an upgrade for more space in the back seats.. might have to consider the GS or the RX FSport.
to be honest i doubt you can comfortably fit 3 child seats in either the gs or the rx either?

my honest opinions, with 3 children (and need car seats)? get a minivan, that's what i would do. even with suv, it's hard to fit 3 car seats reasonably unless it's full size.
Old 05-01-14, 03:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because of camera mic... if you look at other similar videos from youtube, it is quite quiet.

and in general, NX is not an upgrade to RX, it is lower end model that costs less. I am not sure why many people in this thread expect NX to be better than RX.
same here. everything indicates that the nx is a step beneath the rx and it's not going to better than the rx. just like how IS is below GS
Old 05-01-14, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For what it's worth interior pictures I've seen regardless of being touched up or not, some of the plastics you can tell are from other Lexus's and we know off the bat if it's a quality kind or not. From what I can tell many of these plastics are nicer than the RX which has a plasticky center console. We'll know soon enough I guess.
Old 05-01-14, 04:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

brock, thanks for the video! question for ya... at one point you get on the gas and it sounds like engine is surging... does the transmission feel like a cvt type deal?
Old 05-01-14, 05:23 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by brockfrady
Hi all,

I work at a Lexus Dealership in North Carolina and 2 days ago I got an opportunity to have all access to the NX300h. I also have a YouTube channel - mainly focused on Lexus - so I jumped at the chance to crawl all around it with camera in hand. I also talked the Lexus folks into taking me on a ride along...BTW, some of you may be familiar with Saabkyle04. He was along with me and he will be posting his video on Friday! You should check out his NX300h video tomorrow! Thanks for watching & I hope you enjoy it!

Lexus NX300h FIRST LOOK/Walk Around/Ride Along - YouTube

Brock Frady
brockfrady@gmail.com
Brock Frady,
I was waiting for some video narration while you were in the car in the showroom. Pointing out the controls to the features would have been nice. Maybe you were unable to talk or were unfamiliar with the controls.
I liked the way you tooted the horn as you moved off at 1:23.
Thanks for the video. I learned a great deal by seeing the car move in the lot with other cars nearby to give it scale. The professional photos often distort the overall look of the car.
Ray A.
Old 05-01-14, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For what it's worth interior pictures I've seen regardless of being touched up or not, some of the plastics you can tell are from other Lexus's and we know off the bat if it's a quality kind or not. From what I can tell many of these plastics are nicer than the RX which has a plasticky center console. We'll know soon enough I guess.
oh i know it is quality... i really like NX, i think NX is home-run product for Lexus that I want to own. I think that from the start it is more competitive than any other Lexus vehicle, regardless of price. I dont see major "issue" with car where I spot something not good enough for my enthusiast mind.

But overall, if people think they will "upgrade" from RX to NX, thats just not going to be true. We saw people thinking NX is going to be faster (300h) or bigger or more luxurious than RX... In reality, NX costs a lot less to build than RX - maybe 2009 RX does not show that anymore that well, but thats what happens with 2009 vehicles.

So yes, I know what you are saying - they really did end up with top design for the money, and I agree... i would rather own NX than RX any time of the day. But it still costs substantial amount of money less than RX to build.

I like the car, question of hybrid or turbo for me and CO2 based taxes. Depending on turbo mpg, around here difference just because of taxes could be 15% on the ending price, which is a lot of money. I would pay extra 20% at the pump to get the turbo, but I wont pay $10k extra taxes for the turbo - and $10k is if it dones well at the level of new X3 . Not to mention that it would be impossible to sell as used later on.

I just saw the info where BMW sold with 89% diesel share here due to taxes last month, despite having great turbo petrols. These are mostly slower 4cly engines similar to 300h when it comes to acceleration at speed... so satisfactory but not awesome.
Old 05-01-14, 06:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed in the video it has the same driving modes as the 2013/14 RAV4's. The RAV4 has buttons but the NX had a **** with ECO - NORMAL - SPORT. They talk about it briefly in the video as he puts it in the SPORT MODE.
Old 05-01-14, 06:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4482
I noticed in the video it has the same driving modes as the 2013/14 RAV4's. The RAV4 has buttons but the NX had a **** with ECO - NORMAL - SPORT. They talk about it briefly in the video as he puts it in the SPORT MODE.
thats like every new Lexus - IS, GS, LS all have it looking exactly the same.
Old 05-01-14, 07:13 PM
Hoovey689

oh i know it is quality... i really like NX, i think NX is home-run product for Lexus that I want to own. I think that from the start it is more competitive than any other Lexus vehicle, regardless of price. I dont see major "issue" with car where I spot something not good enough for my enthusiast mind.

But overall, if people think they will "upgrade" from RX to NX, thats just not going to be true. We saw people thinking NX is going to be faster (300h) or bigger or more luxurious than RX... In reality, NX costs a lot less to build than RX - maybe 2009 RX does not show that anymore that well, but thats what happens with 2009 vehicles.

So yes, I know what you are saying - they really did end up with top design for the money, and I agree... i would rather own NX than RX any time of the day. But it still costs substantial amount of money less than RX to build.

I like the car, question of hybrid or turbo for me and CO2 based taxes. Depending on turbo mpg, around here difference just because of taxes could be 15% on the ending price, which is a lot of money. I would pay extra 20% at the pump to get the turbo, but I wont pay $10k extra taxes for the turbo - and $10k is if it dones well at the level of new X3 . Not to mention that it would be impossible to sell as used later on.

I just saw the info where BMW sold with 89% diesel share here due to taxes last month, despite having great turbo petrols. These are mostly slower 4cly engines similar to 300h when it comes to acceleration at speed... so satisfactory but not awesome.
I understand what you're saying. That was never my stance, in fact I agree with your points. Perhaps when (at least the people here) who say they plan to upgrade they mean in the sense that it's a newer car, tech and vs the 3RX sure maybe better materials. That said it won't be true come 4RX, up the food chain it goes and the pecking order will distinguish itself more in the Lexus SUV line.

The excitement of the NX which isn't even out yet has me dreaming of what the RX will bring to the segment.
Old 05-01-14, 07:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ +1.

For me, going from an RX to an NX is an "upgrade" in the sense that it is an upgrade in styling , tech, fuel economy, and size which will better satisfy my needs. And materials appears to be on par or better in some areas than the current RX.

Will it be noisier than the current RX? I honestly doubt it. To put some perspective, the new Highlander is about as quiet as the current RX and since the 4 RX is due in a year, I would not be surprised if the NX is similar to the Highlander and current RX at cruising speeds. Remember, the 4 RX will jump up in NVH refinement...
Old 05-01-14, 11:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ +1.

For me, going from an RX to an NX is an "upgrade" in the sense that it is an upgrade in styling , tech, fuel economy, and size which will better satisfy my needs. And materials appears to be on par or better in some areas than the current RX.

Will it be noisier than the current RX? I honestly doubt it. To put some perspective, the new Highlander is about as quiet as the current RX and since the 4 RX is due in a year, I would not be surprised if the NX is similar to the Highlander and current RX at cruising speeds. Remember, the 4 RX will jump up in NVH refinement...
called it

ps I nominate you for Chancellor of the NX sub forum. You've been such a driving force in here
Old 05-02-14, 05:12 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
This is exactly how I feel about it. Before we caught wind of the NX we had already decided to move on to other brands rather than go for an RX. Our needs and personal preferences align much more with the NX.

I am interested to see what happens to the RX. Obviously a lot of the new stuff like the touchpad will migrate into the RX, but I wonder if they'll push the "luxuriousness" and price up.
Old 05-02-14, 06:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah, but remember the RX came out in 2008 so aside from the added spindle, it hasn't really taken on many of the new interior design cues and improvements.
Old 05-02-14, 06:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yeah, but remember the RX came out in 2008 so aside from the added spindle, it hasn't really taken on many of the new interior design cues and improvements.
I feel the interior is it's biggest weakness.
The plastic center dash design is awful and I owned a '10 RX.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread