ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021-264/)
-   -   Lexus NX Handling Dynamics (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/742550-lexus-nx-handling-dynamics.html)

John Coyle 05-16-14 05:49 PM

Lexus NX Handling Dynamics

https://www.clublexus.com/assets_c/2...0x330-2220.jpg

"Something tells me, he's not bluffing. Part of the feeling comes from my belief that the NX will be a very important car for Lexus. It's the crib for their new 2-liter turbo, but it's also likely to be a volume seller (not unlike the IS). People want crossovers and they want to save gas; it's simple. Or, at least it would be if Lexus did anything the easy way. They don't, which is why we love them."

[Full post on the ClubLexus Blog here!]

Whitigir 07-02-14 07:08 AM

Too much words, and not enough real driving in real situations. I doubt it will handle as well as MDX-SH-AWD.

MPLexus301 07-02-14 07:25 AM

I would imagine that NX will get a Dynamic Torque Control AWD system similar to Rav4, which is a great system. I think the NX 200t F Sport with AWD could actually turn out to be a hoot to drive :thumbup:

Whitigir 07-02-14 09:04 AM

The thing is, if it doesn't handle as well as MDX SH-AWD. People would rather buy MDX.

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car
8/ Better in all weathers....whatelse ? Unless Lexus or Toyota fan will see it differently

Also, Rav-4 is nothing compare to RDX SH-AWD, let alone MDX =/ Too bad, don't know why they discontinued that RDX line

spwolf 07-02-14 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Whitigir (Post 8608621)
The thing is, if it doesn't handle as well as MDX SH-AWD. People would rather buy MDX.

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car
8/ Better in all weathers....whatelse ? Unless Lexus or Toyota fan will see it differently

Also, Rav-4 is nothing compare to RDX SH-AWD, let alone MDX =/ Too bad, don't know why they discontinued that RDX line

MDX is much bigger car, it wont handle anywhere as good as NX, it is simple physics.

And "only $10k" more is laughable statement.

LexBob2 07-02-14 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Whitigir (Post 8608621)

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car

No SH-AWD on the RDX....
MDX and NX = Different segments.

Whitigir 07-02-14 09:54 AM

I know there is no more SH-AWD RDX. Last gen there was, if I am not mistaken. They can be in the same league. Also, find used = save even more.

I am saying, if NX can not out perform an old existed platform from Acura. Lexus has simply failed. I am a Lexus fan here as well, and honestly I hope the NX is better.

SH-AWD and Symmetrical AWD are the best AWD on the market. I doubt Lexus can do it with the new NX. AWD from Rav-4 is nothing, it is just simply another AWD.

I doubt the newly engineered suspension on the chasis alone can help much

LexBob2 07-02-14 11:10 AM

The NX's job isn't to compete with the previous gen RDX - It's to compete with the current gen which it will.

It's been discussed here that the current gen RDX, while a good value and selling very well, doesn't offer many of the features and amenities that you can get on NX, X3, Q5, GLK etc.

I'm sure when Acura decided to eliminate the SH-AWD from the RDX they realized that not only will it reduce cost, but it's also not a deal breaker for the average buyer in this family hauler segment.

MPLexus301 07-02-14 01:03 PM

Comparing a 2-row compact CUV to a 3-row (large) midsize CUV is sort of crazy, even if you are thinking new vs. used.

What do you consider "simply another AWD"? Toyota's DTC system is essentially a torque vectoring system that modulates power on an axle through braking, vs. Acura's system which (to my knowledge) sends power between wheels on an axle. Both have the same affect, but to date, Acura's system has been used in higher performance applications so we've seen more positive reviews. I assume that Lexus' next gen AWD system for sedans and coupes will also be this newer generation, comparable to SH-AWD.

spwolf 07-02-14 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 (Post 8609012)
Comparing a 2-row compact CUV to a 3-row (large) midsize CUV is sort of crazy, even if you are thinking new vs. used.

What do you consider "simply another AWD"? Toyota's DTC system is essentially a torque vectoring system that modulates power on an axle through braking, vs. Acura's system which (to my knowledge) sends power between wheels on an axle. Both have the same affect, but to date, Acura's system has been used in higher performance applications so we've seen more positive reviews. I assume that Lexus' next gen AWD system for sedans and coupes will also be this newer generation, comparable to SH-AWD.

Rav4 system is pretty good actually - even previous one was darn good and new one is significantly more improved... I think people should try vehicles they are discussing.

MPLexus301 07-02-14 02:01 PM

^Agreed. Toyota's system is great and the reviews (and my personal experiences) back that up.

LexRexBlue 07-02-14 02:23 PM

How can you compare an NX to a MDX? The MDX is huge by comparison and much more expensive. It is larger than an RX and costs more fully equipped! The NX is like IS of crossovers.

eoph 07-02-14 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue (Post 8609149)
How can you compare an NX to a MDX? The MDX is huge by comparison and much more expensive. It is larger than an RX and costs more fully equipped! The NX is like IS of crossovers.

it can be argued that the IS has a better AWD system though.....

Hoovey689 07-02-14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by eoph (Post 8609255)
it can be argued that the IS has a better AWD system though.....

IS system is different being 30:70 up to 50:50. Whereas NX is FWD to begin with

Dreamlab 07-02-14 05:22 PM

In one of my previous posts I said, I hated to give up the handling of my current daily driver (BMW) 330i for a NX, if if it has the driving feel of a Venza! If the have bench-marked it against the IS, that will be awesome...!

Beam me up ...Scotty